Hospitals

scottb411

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Florida Hospital update -- December 2010 (I intended on getting more comprehensive updates but the hospital security guard was following me around):

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

I believe this is the new Burnham/Florida Hospital Diabetes research facility:

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

And this is the new resident fellow apartment building -- rendering above (sort of wedged between I-4 and Dade St):

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

More construction on Orange across from the Cancer Institute:

IMG_0191.jpg

And not sure what building this is, but new construction:

IMG_0195.jpg

Edited by prahaboheme

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Orlando Health (ORMC) recently acquired Health Central. Rumor has it, Florida Hospital lost the bid due to it's Seventh Day Adventist affiliation. ORMC will also build a Cardio Facility to "compete" with FH.

FL Hosp has always been partnered with Disney, although during a certain time the partnership may have been inactive. Even when I worked there (as a peon) in '02 for over 6 years, we always referred to the medical plaza/cancer institute as "Disney" even though for some reason Disney was no longer a part of it. No one could explain why lol. FL hospital is counting on SunRail to bring in passengers to the area for what will be known as it's Health Village. A station will be situated off Rollins.

Prahaboheme: the unknown building in your pic may be the one of the educational buildings of the FL Hosp College of Health Sciences. Not totally sure since I no longer work there, but if it's in the rear of the main hospital then I'm sure that's what it is. The college always existed but they were expanding to meet demands when I left back in '08.

Some new renderings of upcoming activity around Florida Hospital.....

Here's one of the proposed apartments going up on Dade Ave. This is looking north from Winter Park St. I-4 would be to the left of the bldg.

296ncee.jpg

This is a proposed streetscape improvement at Orange Ave & Rollins St. All overhead lines will be buried, old concrete poles removed & downtown style traffic lights installed. Sidewalk improvements & repaving also.

r7itch.jpg

This is a view of the east side of the TRI building looking west along Princeton towards I-4.

mt1ds8.jpg

Florida Hospital Residential Development -- developer is Ustler, $20 million, 200 units for medical professionals working at Florida Hospital Health Village

To be located on Dade St adjacent to I-4 and parallel to Orange Avenue.

North-of-Dowtown_1.jpg

North-of-Dowtown_2.jpg

North-of-Dowtown_3.jpg

According to this biz journal article, construction is projected for early 2011: Here

Some new renderings of upcoming activity around Florida Hospital.....

Here's one of the proposed apartments going up on Dade Ave. This is looking north from Winter Park St. I-4 would be to the left of the bldg.

296ncee.jpg

This is a proposed streetscape improvement at Orange Ave & Rollins St. All overhead lines will be buried, old concrete poles removed & downtown style traffic lights installed. Sidewalk improvements & repaving also.

r7itch.jpg

The apartment building has had some major design changes. This new look seems to be more of a throwback to the earlier designs around the hospital. The new design will look much cooler from I-4. Looks like the also added another story to the building. Will there be any shops around the new apartment building? Besides 7-11 and a couple of other places there aren't much to eat or shop unless you want to actually go into the hospital itself.

Any word on the ugly buildings between Orlando St, Princeton St, Orange Ave, and the train tracks. This area seems to be the last piece of old buildings left in the area.

Any word on the ugly buildings between Orlando St, Princeton St, Orange Ave, and the train tracks. This area seems to be the last piece of old buildings left in the area.

I'm not sure how accurate this PDF from 2007 is, but it looks like those buildings would be replaced by medical offices/mixed use mid-rise.

Speaking of ugly buildings, one of the buildings right across the street from that area has been remodeled. If you check out Google maps, it's still a tiny rundown brick shack. But now it's owned and has been expanded by the Homegrown Co-op, who did a really good job remodeling and painting it in striking colors. I'll try to get a picture when I'm up there next. It brings a little bit of the Ivanhoe area to Florida Hospital and fits well into the "Health Village" idea.

I'm not sure how accurate this PDF from 2007 is, but it looks like those buildings would be replaced by medical offices/mixed use mid-rise.

Speaking of ugly buildings, one of the buildings right across the street from that area has been remodeled. If you check out Google maps, it's still a tiny rundown brick shack. But now it's owned and has been expanded by the Homegrown Co-op, who did a really good job remodeling and painting it in striking colors. I'll try to get a picture when I'm up there next. It brings a little bit of the Ivanhoe area to Florida Hospital and fits well into the "Health Village" idea.

From my understanding, based on a friend who is part of the co-op there, Florida Hospital donated that building to the co-op or gave it to them at a reduced price so that they would be able to bring that into the village. It goes to show that a bold paint job can really go a long ways. Maybe the shops on the other side of the street could learn this lesson. That area would look super fab with the current 1970s style building but in bold new colors.

I would though prefer a nice office building there, maybe they could preserve the facades of the current buildings and work it into the office building, that would be ideal. The whole health village area is still very unfriendly to pedestrians and they is a large need for more shops and cafes in the village itself. Also on the ground level many of the new building lack any interest making the area even more unfriendly to pedestrians.

• 2 weeks later...

B&G is already starting the retention pond on Winter Park Street for the apartment/condo complex. There is a staging area on the block north for the TRI building which is going in on Princeton next to the 7 Eleven. I finally snapped some photos of that building today.

img5848x.jpg

Above: This is the south wall on Princeton and I am facing the 7 Eleven. They already have the foundation poured on this side at least and columns formed for the first floor.

stitchedfh.jpg

Above: This is across Dade Avenue facing east.

Edited by bulldogger

• 7 months later...

I posted this info earlier in another thread, but this might be the more appropriate place to post updates. Orlando Health has already begun the ancillary phase to renovate and expand it's downtown campus with groundbreaking in 2012. I believe some smaller buildings near the ambulatory care center are getting razed to make room for an 8-10 (now I hear it's actually 11) story tower on Copeland/Kuhl. Also one of the old Lucerne Pavillion buildings will probably get torn down and that campus will eventually expand it's rehab facility.

There are tentative plans to renovate & expand some of it's smaller satellite hospitals too.

I'm a bit OCD so I did some digging.. ORMC has been very tight lipped & hasn't given the media much info, but I did find a zoning agenda & a reference in Buddy Dyer's State of Downtown speech which acknowledges ORMC's expansion. I also work for Orlando Health as a peon. Although I didn't bother to attend any of the town hall meetings, an administrator confirmed the new building- which will have a direct impact on our dept.

Zoning Agenda Summary

State of Downtown (scroll down to Orlando Health)

Construction Update from OH website (limited info)

Old Article (timelines are off, but explains overall plan)

• 3 weeks later...

So I missed the town hall meetings & wasn't able to take a picture of the new 10 or 11 story ORMC patient tower. But here's a rendering I found online (dated 2011), not sure if this is the final choice though. This is a separate project from the one mentioned by prahaboheme. ORMC will probably release more info once the groundwork, utilities, etc are completed.

Forgot to mention, the primary architect appears to be the RTKL firm with RLF as the associate.

Edited by LDG