Hospitals

scottb411

Here's an update from the Orlando Health Adult Hospitals Group President:

"Beginning the week of December 12th, the downtown Orlando Health campus will continue to change as a result of preparation work for the ORMC redesign and renovation project. Once the board gives final approval, which is anticipated for late-December, we will begin a three to four year journey to renovate the ORMC Emergency Department, build a new 10-story bed tower, replace older equipment with newer, state-of-the-art technologies and redesign the architecture of the building to continue to improve our model of care."

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the construction project includes the expansion of the Emergency Room Dept. Being the only level 1 trauma center in the area, this is important since many patients with severe injuries are routed to ORMC instead of FL Hosp because of this designation.

ORMC purchased Lucerne Medical Center in the late 90's. Initially it had units which varied from Cardiac, Peds etc to it's own ER, however, over time most units have transitioned over to the main campus. The few remaining units will continue to transfer, leaving only one of the two Lucerne buildings to serve solely as a Rehab facility and the older building may be torn down after the new patient tower is complete.

So I missed the town hall meetings & wasn't able to take a picture of the new 10 or 11 story ORMC patient tower. But here's a rendering I found online (dated 2011), not sure if this is the final choice though. This is a separate project from the one mentioned by prahaboheme. ORMC will probably release more info once the groundwork, utilities, etc are completed.

Forgot to mention, the primary architect appears to be the RTKL firm with RLF as the associate.

Its ashamed as this design looks much nicer than the one just released.

Updated site plan:

post-26482-0-87274000-1324701516_thumb.j

With all these expansion plans it's sad to see they still have surface parking along Orange Ave. Also notice how this still does not connect the hospital to the train station as well as the plans above do. Wonder why they decided to face the tower north instead of west. I hope that Orlando Health has a lot more plans because right now these plans underwhelm me. The hospital site plan looks as confusing as ever with even more open space and dead end roads than now. The plans seem to have no retail space included and lack all the things that make a district great. Orlando Health needs to take a few lessons from Florida Hospital up the road and redo these plans some. Retail along Orange Ave against the existing building would be perfect. A nice hotel in this area would work and a few more cafes would also be nice.

Any word on the apartments that were proposed a long long time ago just north of the hospital property on Orange Ave on Lake of the Woods? I know there is a new building being built on Columbia but that too seems to be taking a long time.

Any word with what will happen to the Lucerne property? This space would be perfect for a mid-rise retail and office space with a few penthouses on top. The large parking lot against Orange Ave is one of my least favorite spots downtown, so much potential, so little actual use.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Florida Hospital to expand College of Health campus and programs

The new five-story, 90,000-square-foot building will be the college's fourth and largest, and will complete a multi-phase campus plan the city approved in 1991, said David Greenlaw, current and founding president of the college, which turns 20 in October.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-09/health/os-florida-hospital-college-20120409_1_health-care-nurse-anesthetists-physician-extenders

69299376-09203933.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

CJP files site plan for $15-$20M hotel, MOB at Orlando Health campus

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2012/10/02/cjp-files-site-plan-for-15-20m.html

The project, which includes a 126-bed Hampton Inn, will be located along West Columbia Street and is expected to start construction early 2013 and will employ 200 construction workers at peak.

CJP files site plan for $15-$20M hotel, MOB at Orlando Health campus

http://www.bizjourna...for-15-20m.html

The project, which includes a 126-bed Hampton Inn, will be located along West Columbia Street and is expected to start construction early 2013 and will employ 200 construction workers at peak.

"The hotel will come first, followed by the seven-story, 80,028-square-foot medical office building, which will have retail space on the ground floor, and a 350-space interior parking garage. CJP filed a site plan application to rezone the property on Sept. 24."

post-26482-0-16572200-1349496591_thumb.jpost-26482-0-21418100-1349496601_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

ORMC construction update:

post-26482-0-08002600-1350407288_thumb.jpost-26482-0-13777800-1350407310_thumb.j

"The first construction crane will be installed by the end of October at the site of the new tower, which is near Underwood Street and Kuhl Avenue. A second crane is scheduled to be installed in late-November. With the cranes, more construction equipment will visible on the site, and vertical construction of the tower will follow shortly after. Vertical construction has already begun on the new Emergency Department entrance."

ORMC construction update:

post-26482-0-08002600-1350407288_thumb.jpost-26482-0-13777800-1350407310_thumb.j

"The first construction crane will be installed by the end of October at the site of the new tower, which is near Underwood Street and Kuhl Avenue. A second crane is scheduled to be installed in late-November. With the cranes, more construction equipment will visible on the site, and vertical construction of the tower will follow shortly after. Vertical construction has already begun on the new Emergency Department entrance."

I can't get my bearings...which direction is the near side of the building facing?

It is very confusing, but I'm fairly certain that the new tower will actually face north with a view of the downtown skyline. A portion of the tower will be positioned in front of the old ORMC building and also replace the existing glass entrance- which awkwardly forces everyone to make a U-turn upon entering/exiting the building.

This is what you'd see if you were facing south on Kuhl Ave @ the Underwood intersection ('scuse the low tech editing):

post-26482-0-42976000-1350712194_thumb.jpost-26482-0-93220300-1350712206_thumb.j

The construction site is shaded orange:

post-26482-0-62499400-1350712608_thumb.j

• Like 1

It is very confusing, but I'm fairly certain that the new tower will actually face north with a view of the downtown skyline. A portion of the tower will be positioned in front of the old ORMC building and also replace the existing glass entrance- which awkwardly forces everyone to make a U-turn upon entering/exiting the building.

This is what you'd see if you were facing south on Kuhl Ave @ the Underwood intersection ('scuse the low tech editing):

post-26482-0-42976000-1350712194_thumb.jpost-26482-0-93220300-1350712206_thumb.j

The construction site is shaded orange:

post-26482-0-62499400-1350712608_thumb.j

Thanks, that second image definitely helps. I found this video also has a rendering at 1:55 that helps visualize where the new tower is going.

• 2 weeks later...