Best city for Skyline ART DECO

Which of these cities do you like best for skyline ART DECO?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these cities do you like best for skyline ART DECO?

• Cleveland?
    • Cincinnati?
    • Kansas City?
    • St. Louis?
    • Pittsburgh?
    • Miami Beach?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why do the art deco buildings of Miami Beach and the art deco skyscrapers of Kansas City look vastly different?

Because they're in different places with different purposes, composed by different people. Miami Beach's art deco hotels would look totally wrong in KC, and a drab colored skyscraper would look just as out of place on the Beach. They still share similar designs, ideals and are a part of the same moderne movement.

I am suprised Detroit is not there, they have many great Art Deco buildings :)

While Detroit does have some Art Deco buildings, the vast majority of the buildings are not in the deco style. Detroit's boom ended with the stock market crash, so very few buildings in the style that were built at the time still remain. However, Detroit is fortunate to have the third largest collection of early 20th century architecture in the country.

Although Pittsburgh has 3 major Art Deco Skyscrapers (Gulf Bldg., Koppers Bldg. and Grant Bldg.) I would have to go with Miami Beach on this one, I would see Pittsburgh and Cleveland tied for Second.

Archived