800 Main, East Side

it's just dave

I'm surprised this hasn't come up. It's a very important piece of land being used in a very appropriate way. The large site between Woodland and Main will boast retail and 331 rental units. Talk about adding life to East Nashville. This should do it. The rendering is rather sedate, but the actual drawings look really good. Cool rental units is what this area has been needing for a long, long time. There are others in the works as well and these, along with 5th & Main should help bolster the efforts to upgrade this area to a functional, ped-friendly neighborhood within a few minutes walk of the heart of downtown. Go East!

800Main.jpg

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ID=200880827058

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good find! I thought I saw where they had announced what they were putting there. Didn't realize there were renderings yet. Another quality project in East Nashville. Hope developments and thinking like this keep coming, not only in East, but all over the city.

From what I understand both Main and Woodland will be addressed well. The overlays in this area will probably mandate buildings built to the streets as is 5th and Main. If the rendering addressed the street any more tightly, the cars would be parking inside the storefronts.

The only unfortunate disappointment is that the power lines on Woodland will remain for now. Usually, in areas like that, they don't bother me much, but it's such a long, straight shot into downtown and a clearer view would be nice. Who knows, perhaps that will change before construction in the spring.

Since this is apartments and Nashville apartment demands are strong, I see this happening without much hitch. Condo, maybe yes, apartments, shouldn't be problematic.

I believe I read the pricing will begin around $803/mo to around $1100/mo.

Seems right in line today's rents all over town.

Close by, a few blocks away off Main will be East Rive Place, a 90-unit apartment, $14 million building which will replace the former shoot-em-up crack palace called Silverdyne Apts (or something like that). That hideous piece of urban blight burned and has been demolished and is being replaced by something more in line with the rebirth of Main Street. This will be a good step toward providing positive affordable rental housing to the area.

In total, these 520 new living units, with new retail, and in tandem with the opening of 5th and Main (those condos not included in the 520) will do so much to help the area realize more of its potential.

Thanks for the price points, Dave. Have you heard if the $1100 will be for two-bedrooms? That would be tremendous. My biggest quibble with the new rental properties going up around the core have been that they aren't very affordable for a wide segment of Nashvillians. There are the income restricted developments like Station Lofts and Laurel House. On the other end of the spectrum is Bristol's Midtown project is $1,000+ for a one-bedroom. It's the market in between those point that I don't believe are well served yet around Nashville's core.

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling on this one Dave. I am really excited over this project. The corridor along Main will be really neat if we get 3 or 4 more projects like this in the area. That will bring in a lot more retail, restaurants, and who knows what else.

East Nashville still has problems and there are a lot of areas that need to be cleaned up for sure.

Archived