New Hotel for the River Market

skirby

I agree. He said that it was going to be in the family of one of the big 2 brands, so most likely a Hilton or Marriott branded hotel. The last thing I want to see across from the Hampton Inn and a couple blocks from the Courtyard Marriott is a Hilton Garden Inn or similar hotel.

A Westin or Reniaissance would be great. Even an Sheraton or Marriott would be excellent but I doubt that it's going to be a full service hotel. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

Intercontinental is far larger than Hilton or Marriott by room or location count, so I'd keep them as a potential contender too, but the biggest players money wise are certainly those two companies. There are some issues with it being either Hilton or IHG though, which I'll mention below. Choice Hotels is massive by location count, but they are more budget focused and tend not to be considered as one of the biggest players.

Aloft is a neat concept, but it has struggled to find its footing and people either love it or hate it, seems to be no in between. There are markets where it does really well and some it doesn't and that is the hard thing, not knowing how it will be received in the market by travelers. Regardless, it is not happening, only bad part of it is that there still won't be a Starwood brand in Little Rock.

The hotel that will be built is not going to be full-service either, cost to run a full-service is high and if hotel is located in the River Market, guest does not want to stay in hotel and eat dinner with numerous dining/nighlife options out the front door. Hope to hear news on groundbreaking plans in the next couple of months with start late this year or early next...

Aloft may be a little too "hip" for it's own good. The building design and rooms are quite nice and the common areas are well decorated and comfortable, but the weird naming of things ("Arf"), random use of lower case words that don't exactly tell you what things are, etc. can be a bit over the top for a business traveler who is just ready to sleep and maybe use the hotel bar. I like the decor pretty well, but I can see how some people would find it too bright or a bit over the top. At any rate, the only reason I was happy about the possibility of an Aloft in Little Rock was because it would be something new for this region's market, and the type of customer it draws would be more likely to explore and enjoy the River Market (in my opinion) than those of more mainstream brands.

Whatever we're getting sounds like it isn't going to change the regional hotel scene at all, and I doubt whatever they build will be as interesting/different as an Aloft would have been, which is disappointing. Since it's not going to be full service, I hope it's not another Hilton property too- the Garden Inn is the only non-full service chain we don't already have right there (even though there's one up by McCain) and I view it as a watered down hotel chain that has little to offer a traveler they can't get (and get better) from another chain, and I don't see them being an ideal downtown hotel, but they do have some downtown locations. I'm guessing we'll get a select or limited service hotel, of which we already have two recent additions downtown, so my "wish" for the new property would be:

Crowne Plaza: Not likely since it's sometimes considered "full service" (I'd consider it more of a nice select service chain) and we already have a small one in west Little Rock, but they do like to have downtown locations and they build handsome hotels that are often designed to fit in with the local architecture. I don't think this will happen since if they build downtown locations (or takeover downtown locations- I'd let them have the Doubletree in a heart beat) they tend to do larger scale buildings than we're expecting with this project and I just don't think the demand is there to justify that yet. The Crowne Plaza also might eat into some of the market for the Holiday Inn Presidential near downtown, but having spent a lot of time in both, I feel they draw a different type of traveler and that wouldn't be a significant issue (I went to WLR to stay in the Crowne Plaza when here for work in the past year, never even considered the Holiday Inn although I needed to be downtown quite a bit). It could eat into the west Little Rock location's business though. A similar sized IHG property that appeals to a different demographic not currently served in Little Rock would be Hotel Indigo, but I don't think Little Rock is large enough to be on their radar for a niche hotel like Indigo yet.

Hyatt Place: I'm pretty sure it won't be this based off the earlier comments of a "big 2 chain" (although that's a poorly defined term, Hyatt certainly isn't one of the two/three biggest chains), but it'd be a good fit for a limited service downtown hotel. They build nice (although very bland in suburban environments) hotels with comfortable rooms and contemporary decor, but I'd want it to be less like one of their bland suburban blocks and more like the one they recently built in downtown Birmingham: http://visitsouth.com/images/uploads/Hyatt_Place.jpg . I think that'd look right at home in the downtown area.

If it has to be a Marriott or Hilton property (as seems likely), my pick would be:

Embassy Suites: They build bland but nice hotels and also like to have locations near downtowns.... but I don't think it's likely due to the Doubletree being so close, and the same reasons I don't think a Crowne Plaza is likely (see above). I'd love to be wrong, though.

Springhill Suites: This one might actually be possible. It's a fast growing chain that competes with the likes of Comfort Suites, Ramada Limited, etc. without being in quite the same market as Embassy or Crowne Plaza Suites. They've been showing more interest in downtown locations recently. It's a little higher end competitor to Hampton/Holiday Inn Express/etc. type hotels that we don't really have a lot of competition in the downtown area for right now (just Comfort Suites). It'd be a decent mid-level suite hotel for downtown, and I wouldn't be opposed to this, although it's certainly not going to be an addition to the market that will excite many people. There is one in west Little Rock, but otherwise they don't have much of a market presence here yet.

What I actually wouldn't mind:

Holiday Inn Express: Hear me out. The newer Holiday Inn Express properties are actually pretty nice hotels, and they're a direct competitor to Hampton Inn in the limited service/hot-breakfast more affordable class of hotels. They, like Hampton, are popular with business (or government) travelers on a budget/per-diem and families taking advantage of larger than average rooms and free hot breakfasts. I've stayed at very nice Holiday Inn Express locations in Dallas when the Crowne Plaza Suites I normally preferred was booked, and I was impressed with both properties. The newest one I stayed at is in a dense area by the Galleria, and the hotel itself was actually very modern inside- contemporary carpet, decor, nice amenities, and the lobby was far nicer than I expect from a limited service hotel like those. I think having both a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express downtown would continue to increase the "affordable, yet reputable" hotel pool in the downtown area and encourage more families and budget business travelers to stay in the area. Some of their designs are very bland (which one of these chains isn't guilty of that though), but if they built more similar to the newer one in Dallas: WELCM_EXTR_3_E.jpg , I'd be happy with that being downtown too.

What I don't want:

Hilton Garden Inn: In my opinion, one of the most overrated hotel chains out there. Offers less than most competitors at a higher price, and builds very generic looking properties. I'm afraid it could be the most likely addition since it competes head to head with Courtyard (another of my least favorite chains) and it's the only other limited service Marriott or Hilton chain than Springhill Suites not currently represented downtown,, but I hope it's not.

Choice Hotels: Anything from them. They're not a bad chain, and their Comfort Suites on the edge of downtown is actually quite nice, but I don't think a budget hotel is a good addition to a dense part of downtown, and I don't see it being financially feasible for them to build downtown (especially with a relatively large, recently renovated Comfort Inn & Suites next to downtown).

What it won't (or probably won't) be:

Won't: Anything already existing downtown or near downtown (Courtyard, Hampton, Comfort Suites, Holiday Inn, Wyndham, Marriott ExecuStay, LaQuinta).

Probably won't: Extended Stay Hotels (TownePlace Suites, Homewood Suites, Residence Inn, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites, etc.). Although I wouldn't mind seeing a nice extended stay hotel near downtown (TownePlace, Homewood, or Staybridge are all nice properties, with Staybridge and Homewood as my favorites), it's normally not cost effective to build those in downtown locations and they tend to be smaller properties overall. If an extended stay type property from one of the large chains were to take a shot at downtown, I have a feeling it'd most likely be Hilton's new Home2 Suites which is about to open a new downtown Baltimore location, or Staybridge Suites, which has a couple downtown properties and is also growing. I wouldn't mind either property, but Home2 is so new I don't know if we'd be on the radar for a franchisee yet and Staybridge is a different overall atmosphere than you normally see in downtown locations (the Chattanooga downtown location is the only non-lodge styled one I've ever seen). I also don't see any budget hotel taking on a downtown location- too much cost to build new there for too little likely pay off. I also don't think Moses Tucker would be very interested in bringing a budget hotel to downtown.

My guess would be a Garden Inn or a Springhill Suites, with Garden Inn being the most probable. I really hope I'm wrong though and it's either an IHG property to compete with Hampton/Courtyard, a Hyatt Place, or a Springhill Suites.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but if its going to be one of these then please don't even bother! Im tired of Little Rock always getting the shaft when it comes to development. IMO, Downtown doesn't need one of these hotels, it needs something new and exciting. Something that stands out. I guess there's nothing too exciting about a Sheraton, but at least the brand has some respect as an upscale hotel with a certain level of service expected. We have enough of the Holiday Inns, Courtyards, etc. And to me, the garden inn is nothing but a cheap Hilton. I guess we will have to wait until Stephens gets moving on his property downtown and perhaps once conventions start to pick back up maybe we will see another full service hotel. I would imagine if we didn't have a Peabody, it would be a Marriott or Westin.

I just long for something more exciting in the Little Rock hotel scene. At least we have the fabulous Capital Hotel (IMO best in AR) , and even thought i have issues with the Peabody, its still a very nice hotel. Its too bad that our downtown doesn't get the credit it deserves. Its far nicer than some larger downtown's Ive visited. It just needs a market of some sorts to pull people in to live down there, but maybe that's too much wishing.

Wizard, you are right when you said that Intercontinental Hotal Group is larger than Marriott or Hilton by number of properties, but I didn't consider them with so many properties close to downtown; Holiday Inn Presidential, Holiday Inn Airport, Holiday Inn NLR, Holiday Inn Express Airport. That just seems like a lot of similiar properties in a close area.

Of all of the possibilities you mentioned, I liked the Hyatt Place the best. That brand is not in the market and I think it would fit in well downtown, but like you said since it is not one of the big two I doubt that it is the one coming.

Another brand I thought of was Four Points by Sheraton. Most of these are located in suburban areas or near airports, but they do have downtown locations in cities like Chicago, San Antonio and San Jose. Little Rock would probably be too small for them to consider an urban location.

Unfortunately you may be right about the Holiday Inn Express. They have a Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express next to each other near the airport so they may try it downtown.

By the way, there was an article on USA Today saying that Aloft was about to open it's 50th hotel in downtown Brooklyn. The article had a few reviews of Aloft in general and people either loved it or hated it.

Unfortunately you may be right about the Holiday Inn Express. They have a Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express next to each other near the airport so they may try it downtown.

Well, if they build a HIE like the one I posted a picture of from Dallas, I wouldn't be upset by it, and that appears to just be a newer generic design. They're a decent (albeit generic and prolific) chain, but they're also part of a chain with a lot of loyal travelers and it couldn't hurt the downtown economy. Is it exciting, or a new market addition? No. But it's another Hampton-grade hotel in that area that would continue to increase the diversity of the types of people staying downtown and visiting attractions in that area. I'd actually prefer it to a Garden Inn unless they're willing to go a little out side of their box and give us a significant or attractive building for a downtown location. HIE has a variety of designs that I've seen in more urban locations (their suburban hotels are nice but bland as can be- I wouldn't want one of those downtown either), so I have the feeling in the back of my mind that they'd be more willing to give Little Rock something a bit unique, but I could be wrong. As far as Garden Inn, they don't do it often, but something like the one in Ithaca, NY (maybe a little smaller due to the market) would be a nice addition: http://www.downtownithaca.com/img/mids/stay-01.jpg. I still don't care for the chain, but I'd be more comfortable with them moving into the downtown market if I wasn't as concerned about them building a generic 3 or 4 story cookie cutter design like they put in NLR and most (even downtown) locations.

• 8 months later...

A plumbing permit has been applied for to build a Residence Inn at 219 River Market Avenue. This is across the street from the Arkansas Capital Commerence Center where a parking lot is now located. At one time this location was to be the home of a seven story Aloft.

A plumbing permit has been applied for to build a Residence Inn at 219 River Market Avenue. This is across the street from the Arkansas Capital Commerence Center where a parking lot is now located. At one time this location was to be the home of a seven story Aloft.

Good catch. I'm not terribly excited by a Residence Inn being added downtown (an extended stay, mid level brand isn't what I'd hoped for), but it's still nice to see that with the economy being what it is people are willing to invest in downtown. My prediction was off though :D , Residence Inn was on my "probably not" list... Since it is a Residence Inn though I hope they'll build a decent downtown location. I would go out on a limb (not much of a limb) and say it won't be 7 stories like the Aloft was supposed to be, but 4-5 stores seems more likely. I just hope they do a decent design for the building...They're really hit and miss on those. The newest one I've seen in a downtown location is in Saint Louis, and it has to be one of the blandest/bordering on ugly new hotels I've ever seen:

stlrd_phototour18.jpg?Log=1

Most of their locations are pretty bland, but there are some bland but tasteful options out there in similar sized or smaller areas I wouldn't be against:

Portsmouth, New Hampshire:

2631759-Residence-Inn-by-Marriott-Portsmouth-DowntownWaterfront-Hotel-Exterior-4.jpg

Portland, Maine:

56_1.jpg

And Birmingham, Alabama:

Residence-Inn-Birmingham-Downtown-At-Uab-photos-Hotel.JPEG

They do have some nicer/more modern hotel designs in larger metros that would look nice (on a smaller scale, admittedly) that close to Acxiom, but I imagine they'll end up going with a more generic brick design that blends with the Capital Commerce Center instead of something that would look more at home a block back nearer Acxiom, River Market Tower, and 300 3rd.

Yeah, it sounds wholly uninspiring...what a letdown for the aLoft to no materialize (though I heard it has to do with the viability/performance of the chain itself?). Hopefully this hotel will be tasteful.

I feel the same way. Aloft at that location would have been fantastic- the style of their buildings would have been an interesting/fun bridge between the traditionally styled River Market and the more modern new construction near that location. I've read the same things- Aloft as a brand is in trouble and a lot of their potential expansion plans were shelved until they can either get things turned around or retool the brand. As for the Residence Inn, I'm sure Moses Tucker will do their best to make sure whatever is built is tasteful and blends with the district and their buildings nearby, but that could also result in a very bland looking building (the Hampton Inn being a prime example). Oh well, it is still a good thing overall. More density downtown, more hotel guests downtown (and theoretically longer-staying hotel guests that will explore more and spend more in the area), and an expansion of the overall district that should put more pedestrian traffic out on River Market Avenue and the 3rd Street corridor. I'm sure the businesses that have located in Tuf Nut, River Market Tower, and the new garage shops will be happy to have the extra people nearby too.

Construction on the Residence Inn should start during the 1st quarter and take about a year to finish. McKibbon(Courtyart and Hampton Inn) will develop the project with an estimated value of $13 million. Does anyone think there will be any retail/commericial space included in the building plains? I say this because MT has been able to lease out the available space in the area of River MArket Avenue and 3rd Street.

• 4 weeks later...

I was under the impression that aLoft was having financial troubles, but having browsed their website it's clear they're doing well enough to add new downtown hotels this summer in Asheville, Tulsa and OKC.

What a COMPLETE disappointment that this fell through in Little Rock. It makes no sense whatsoever, and I think some blame has to be placed on the developer that this has turned into such a pedestrian offering.

The company that is building the Residence Inn, McKibbon, is also doing the Aloft in Asheville. They determined that they just didn't think it would work in this market. The Aloft attracts a specific traveler and that customer is not coming to LR very often, at least often enough to fill it up during the week, where hotels make their money. There is not an extended stay property in downtown and Marriott is a very strong brand, so that is why the Residence Inn is coming.

The company that is building the Residence Inn, McKibbon, is also doing the Aloft in Asheville. They determined that they just didn't think it would work in this market. The Aloft attracts a specific traveler and that customer is not coming to LR very often, at least often enough to fill it up during the week, where hotels make their money. There is not an extended stay property in downtown and Marriott is a very strong brand, so that is why the Residence Inn is coming.

Ironically, I'm actually typing this from the aLoft in Rogers. What a cool hotel (I've been here before). I somehow don't buy the "different traveler" argument. I don't doubt they had their reasons - even though I'd argue that the River Market COULD NOT BE a more suitable, urban environment for their concept. First, if their argument was about available rooms in the market and they felt that there were already too many "standard" business rooms in the district, that would make some sense to offer extended stay. Second, it was originally announced as an aLoft. If anything has changed since that announcement, it's been on their end, not the city.

p.s. Asheville. Do you know how many Fortune 500 companies are based in Asheville? I'll give you three guesses between zero and zero.

Ironically, I'm actually typing this from the aLoft in Rogers. What a cool hotel (I've been here before). I somehow don't buy the "different traveler" argument. I don't doubt they had their reasons - even though I'd argue that the River Market COULD NOT BE a more suitable, urban environment for their concept. First, if their argument was about available rooms in the market and they felt that there were already too many "standard" business rooms in the district, that would make some sense to offer extended stay. Second, it was originally announced as an aLoft. If anything has changed since that announcement, it's been on their end, not the city.

p.s. Asheville. Do you know how many Fortune 500 companies are based in Asheville? I'll give you three guesses between zero and zero.

The aLoft would have already been built if the library and some in the River Market wouldn't have raised hell about a seven story building being too tall for the River Market.

There is an article in the Arkansas Demcorat Gazette about the new hotel. It will be six stories tall and MT is not involved with the development.

The aLoft would have already been built if the library and some in the River Market wouldn't have raised hell about a seven story building being too tall for the River Market.

There is an article in the Arkansas Demcorat Gazette about the new hotel. It will be six stories tall and MT is not involved with the development.

I read the blurb in Arkansas Business about it today too. I'm a bit disappointed that MT isn't involved because in my mind that makes it less likely there will be any street level retail/mixed use component to the project, and I think that would be a very nice component of any project on that lot.

I read the blurb in Arkansas Business about it today too. I'm a bit disappointed that MT isn't involved because in my mind that makes it less likely there will be any street level retail/mixed use component to the project, and I think that would be a very nice component of any project on that lot.

There are signs along the bottom level of the River Market parking deck announcing that your business could be here. I guess their success at adding the retail in the Capitol Commerce deck has inspired more. No takers yet from what I saw.

• 1 month later...

Just drove by the lot. There is chain link fence up around the entire lot along with port-o-potties and work trucks. I guess work will be starting soon.

They put up signs a little while back saying the lot would be closed, but that is pretty fast work to get things ready to go that quick. If they can finish it as quickly as they say, it could be done before summer 2013.

• 3 months later...

McKibbon’s website shows a very basic image of how the hotel will appear upon completion, along with some construction photos. Interestingly, their development page also shows some images of the Aloft Hotel they are developing in downtown Asheville, NC. I guess we’re not hip or touristy enough for Aloft.

http://www.mckibbon....tels/under-dev/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived