Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LIT uPP

Heard It Through The Grapevine

25 posts in this topic

Talk Business reports that the Governor will be making a major economic announcement at the Little Rock Regional Chamber of Commerce tomorrow afternoon. Does anybody know anything about this?

Talk Business reports that the Governor will be making a major economic announcement at the Little Rock Regional Chamber of Commerce tomorrow afternoon. Does anybody know anything about this?

Also, there is a lot of talk about Verizon and Alltel not being able to close the merger. That's a separate issue but the rumors are all over the place.

So now LR has become a mini-hotbed for the solar (wind) energy industry. Kinda neat.

So now LR has become a mini-hotbed for the solar (wind) energy industry. Kinda neat.

I agree about the delay, that's probably true.

Did you read today's article about the issue with Alltel's bond debt and issues with refinance? That likely has as much to do with it as Verizon's ability to sell off the pieces the FCC won't allow them to keep.

The company that's bring the jobs, I think it's RDW, and the other's a supplier will bring 800 jobs with plans for eventual expansion.

The most interesting thing is that LR native Gen Wesley Clark sits on their board of directors and played a big role in getting the company to locate in LR.

Patrick Henry Hays has NLR as one of the two finalists for a construction equipment vehicle manufacturing facility at the old Deluxe Video site off of I-440 that would initially employ 500. It's not considered a "superproject" because less than $500 mil will be spent but it's a major project nonetheless.

Meanwhile LR-NLR ticks along at 4.0% unemployment vs 6.7% for the nation, a bigger gap than I ever remember for the region.

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this comment, but....I imagine that postings regarding new developments/economic activity will prove to be few and far between over the next 18 months, unfortunately. And in fact, probably the most "excitable" topics will involve negative news, closings, etc.

Ugh.

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this comment, but....I imagine that postings regarding new developments/economic activity will prove to be few and far between over the next 18 months, unfortunately. And in fact, probably the most "excitable" topics will involve negative news, closings, etc.

Ugh.

Well, we seem to be continuing to buck the trend.

Beebe is apparently nearing another major announcement on a new windmill plant.

Southwestern Energy is building a $25 mil regional HQs in Conway that will initially employ 200-250 and ultimately as many as 450. It will be located at the Village at Hendrix and most workers will be imported as they will need engineers, geologists, etc that aren't readily available in Arkansas.

Southwestern Energy is building a $25 mil regional HQs in Conway that will initially employ 200-250 and ultimately as many as 450. It will be located at the Village at Hendrix and most workers will be imported as they will need engineers, geologists, etc that aren't readily available in Arkansas.

Patrick Henry Hays has NLR as one of the two finalists for a construction equipment vehicle manufacturing facility at the old Deluxe Video site off of I-440 that would initially employ 500. It's not considered a "superproject" because less than $500 mil will be spent but it's a major project nonetheless.

Meanwhile LR-NLR ticks along at 4.0% unemployment vs 6.7% for the nation, a bigger gap than I ever remember for the region.

Fox 16 is reporting that Gov. Beebe will announce the above project Monday.

The announcement concerns Caterpillar Inc. It will invest $140 million in the plant to produce motor graders. Employment for the plant will be 600 with production to start in early 2010.

The announcement concerns Caterpillar Inc. It will invest $140 million in the plant to produce motor graders. Employment for the plant will be 600 with production to start in early 2010.

Certainly no complaint about added jobs, but I'm not liking the trend of swapping Fortune 500 corporate offices for simple manufacturing jobs...we're going the wrong way!

I agree. One interesting note from Talk Business is that besides production it will be the North American HQ for Caterpillar.

I heard last week that within the next few months