Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrox

New development downtown

11 posts in this topic

Do anyone know what is being put in the area or fourth and union and Danny Thomas? The buildings are being torn down to make way for something. It is across from Autozone Park and the NY Suit Exchange.

The article mentions rumors that the city may be interested in the property for potential relocation of the convention center, which was just expanded. What a boondoggle, and what a blow to North Main if that would happen.

I think those are just rumors. 74,000 square feet is just too small to replace the CCC but it could possibly be rumored as extra convention space. I'm not sure where this building is, but is it close to the greyhound terminal?

That all sounds good, but lets get One Beale and The Horizon done and Peobody Place remodeld first....

I think those are just rumors. 74,000 square feet is just too small to replace the CCC but it could possibly be rumored as extra convention space. I'm not sure where this building is, but is it close to the greyhound terminal?

If you look at the article again you will see It's the 74,000 sf site sitting on 3 parcels of land as well as surrounding property. My guess is the greyhound terminal as well as the 3 parcels. If you remember greyhound is slated to move to the airport, this would make more than enough land for a new convention center.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories.../10/story1.html

^ If economically feasible it seems like a good proposition for all the reasons you stated. Has it ever been looked at by the city/county or media before as an option. I really can't remember at this point...., I do remember the notion has been mentioned among us urban enthusiasts before.

Seems like if a contractor could flesh out the idea with a proposal and cost estimate it might get more traction.