Bike parking now required in new developments

gs3

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned the painted bike lanes a couple of months ago in this post. Someone added a link to an article in a reply to that post.

This information is great news for a city that has rapidly emerged onto the national cycling scene recently. I hope to hear of additional regulations to help increase the community's awareness and acceptance of bicycle transit and fitness. I have noticed a tremendous increase in cycling activity all over the city in the past couple of years. Thanks for the link, gsupstate. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I understand how coloring the lanes is ahead of its time in Greenville? Wouldn't you want this to be an on-going process? Even if Greenville stopped its bike infrastructure expansion today, wouldn't you want the lanes to be painted anyway?

I just had not heard about Greenville taking those steps. I understand their choice of green paint, and I've also read blue has been shown to last the longest lasting and be the safest too. They are definitely expensive to install and maintain, which is a big reason not to do them for many places. But having said that, if Greenville is going to more forward with that over time, then thats great to hear.

My only concern that I haven't seen addressed by these studies is how does the pain affect traction on my tires? It seems to me that it would be slick in the rain (which is a major issue if you bike commute regardless of weather conditions).

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see that in a photo. I'm having trouble picturing how 10-12 bikes could fit on it without some serious "double parking" going on. Because of its placement next to the street, you can only use one side of that particular rack lest your bike be clipped by a car. This is just my opinion, but I think those kind of racks do more to appease non-cyclists. As a cyclist I would rather see a more basic and practical U-rack or this kind:

bike-rack-bw-3120.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Who in the world would want to ride their bike on Woodruff Rd? It's bad enough driving a car there. You'd be putting you life on the line riding a bike. I like riding my bike, but I stay away from main roads.

Archived