CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kendall's Courtyard

maninthepark

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very intriguing proposal. If this gets built it could be the seed for the renewal of the entire district. Most of the old houses that were in the area have been torn down and the area is mainly a set of empty lots.

It is just behind the Rescue Mission on W. Washington St. and in an area that was a warehouse/light industrial area. There are a lot of street people who hang out on Washington St. near the Main Post Office - some factors that usually dampen the attractiveness of $600 K homes. However it is also adjacent to or only a block from the Kroc Center site and the new pedestrian trail and is only about 3 or 4 blocks from Riverplace.

The website shows the project being built in 4 phases so I expect they will need to get sales on part 1 before they move on to the later phases.

I hope this succeeds.

The image didn't look like $600,000+ to me, but it could just be a bad rendering.

Unlike Pendleton West which has produced an impressive transformation for its area, the units are priced too high for the conditions you'd be living around, IMO. I'd rather pay that to live in the West End.

I found out today that they have all their permits in place, and construction should start within 30

days. They will have two units under contract when construction starts. Also any one that gets one

of these units now gets a free $25,000 elevator.There was also talk of a vehicle in every garage

(maybe a GEM) As for the renderings, they are trying to redesign the roof to be flat

so they can add sun rooms or terraces, but may not be able to because of the elevators.

The contractor on this will be PEK Construction LLC.

I think this project will be great for this area, and as far as the location and price go I think

this is one of the best values down town, because most of the land between Gibbs st. and

the Kroc center already belongs to the city and all of it is zoned for public use. It would be so nice

to walk across the street and into the new Cleavland Park West.

I hope I can say this and have it be taken as constructive criticism...

the floorplans for the Charleston series look like they were drawn by someone with no design or architecture experience. There were a few things that jumped out at me right away as just NOT working. I realize these may have been preliminary, but they need to ramp up their marketing if they want to attract buyers in this market.

And I'm not sure why the brownstones are called brownstones. They bear no resemblance to an actual brownstone (the way the Rhett street ones do) The front renderings remind me of Riverbend condos at Farris and Cleveland.

The floor plans for the Brownstone units aren't bad...but its not at all clear where an elevator shaft would go, and how that might impact the spaces shown.

Brandon thank you, all criticism is constructive.

You are correct about the Charlestons, the floor plans that are on the web site are very preliminary

their will actually be three different models to chose from they will be on the web site within the

next few days.

They wanted to get some input from the community before they start aggressively marketing thees.

The term "Brownstone"refers to the Brown sandstone quarried in the Connecticut river valley and

on the shores of the Hackensack River. The stone was used in a lot of 19th century townhouse

construction in N.Y, Boston and Connecticut. So you see you can have a N.Y.or Boston townhouse

but you cant have an actual "Brownstone" made of brick.

Also an architectural feature of most "actual Brownstones" is what is called an English basement

with a street entrance, half a story below street level, but ground level at the back of the house.

The elevator is an option ad would replace the stares.

I hope I answered all your questions, Thanks!

I agree with the previous critiques regarding the brownstones. Otherwise, I think they will be great properties. I see them being very popular in Greenville.

As for the Charleston-style homes, well, I don't really care for them. Perhaps the fact that I live in Charleston and see that style every day is partly the reason why. But aside from that, I just don't see why that style of architecture would be chosen for Greenville. We are so different from Charleston in terms of history, culture, environment, etc. Why try to duplicate that in Greenville, especially since a few other developments have already done so? What's next, imported palmetto trees and and narrow one-way streets? :blink:

I agree with the previous critiques regarding the brownstones. Otherwise, I think they will be great properties. I see them being very popular in Greenville.

As for the Charleston-style homes, well, I don't really care for them. Perhaps the fact that I live in Charleston and see that style every day is partly the reason why. But aside from that, I just don't see why that style of architecture would be chosen for Greenville. We are so different from Charleston in terms of history, culture, environment, etc. Why try to duplicate that in Greenville, especially since a few other developments have already done so? What's next, imported palmetto trees and and narrow one-way streets? :blink:

Archived