New Area Code For NWA?

Mith242

I missed the very beginning of the local news but sounds like they said we're already getting low on phone numbers and may end up with another area code. Seems like it wasn't that long ago since we got the 479, although I guess it has been a while now. I wonder how they'll break it down. Seems like maybe the best way would be to put the NWA metro with one and then the rest of the 479 area will have their own. I think the 479 area code currently cover the Ft Smith area and part of the River Valley area east of Ft Smith.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not the best name for the topic. Assuming they did split the area code again I think this time we could probably keep the current number and make the area outside the metro get a new one. Assuming they wouldn't do something weird like split the metro into two different area codes.

Hard to believe NWA needs a new area code when much larger metros and their surrounding regions get by with just one (OKC, Tulsa). Most of Arkansas is 870 anyways. The only thing that could really be done is splitting off Ft. Smith and the River Valley.

Archived