Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veloise

West Michigan Regional Policy Conference

27 posts in this topic

Complete article here.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde..._meeting_a.html

Seems this is West Mich's response to the long-held Detroit chamber of comerce event on Mackinac Island.

"Instead of horse-drawn buggies and bicycles, the event centered at DeVos Place will have its own trappings.

A red trolley will clank up and down Monroe Avenue, and guests will be invited for a walk along the Grand River."

Um, Nancy, we have horse-drawn carriages DT. And pedicabs.

Complete article here.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde..._meeting_a.html

Seems this is West Mich's response to the long-held Detroit chamber of comerce event on Mackinac Island.

"Instead of horse-drawn buggies and bicycles, the event centered at DeVos Place will have its own trappings.

A red trolley will clank up and down Monroe Avenue, and guests will be invited for a walk along the Grand River."

Um, Nancy, we have horse-drawn carriages DT. And pedicabs.

I just got this from the GRBJ in case anyone wants to follow along.

The 2008 West Michigan Regional Policy Conference is underway!

Grand Rapids Business Journal reporters and editors will be regularly filing stories at http://grbusinessjournal.blogspot.com/ about the speeches and workshops at the West Michigan Regional Policy Conference Thursday and Friday. Read hour-by-hour updates on the latest presentations by national and regional experts on business and education.

Also, we are pleased to announce that the new, redesigned Business Journal launches this Monday (both in print and online) and will include additional reporting from the Policy Conference.

GRBJ.com will be offline for part of the day on Monday while we upload the new site, so be sure to check it out Monday afternoon!

I think this event is a great idea and glad it's being attended by a large number of influential business leaders in West Michigan. Too bad the Governor is skipping it.

"The Heartland Institute, a free-market minded think tank in Chicago." Right, because Chicago is a low tax perfect governmental unit with a poor economy.

"The Heartland Institute, a free-market minded think tank in Chicago." Right, because Chicago is a low tax perfect governmental unit with a poor economy.

The property tax rates are lower. No income tax for city residents, plus a higher rate of services.

The property tax rates are lower. No income tax for city residents, plus a higher rate of services.

Are you sure about property taxes being lower? Cook County uses a very convoluted formula to calculate taxes (Market value x assessment rate x SEV - Homeowner exemption = EAV x tax rate = yearly taxes). But it seems to me it figures out to about 2 - 3% of market value, depending on where in Cook County. That's comparable to here.

And Chicago has a very high sales tax (9% I believe).

I just got this from the GRBJ in case anyone wants to follow along.

Are you sure about property taxes being lower? Cook County uses a very convoluted formula to calculate taxes (Market value x assessment rate x SEV - Homeowner exemption = EAV x tax rate = yearly taxes). But it seems to me it figures out to about 2 - 3% of market value, depending on where in Cook County. That's comparable to here.

And Chicago has a very high sales tax (9% I believe).

After hearing the topics discussed during this event, it's pretty obvious why Granholm didn't attend. Unfortunately our state has probably the worst business climate of any in the country, and after 6+ years of state businesses clamoring for policy change, it just hasn't happened. While attending would have been the right thing for Granholm to do, it obviously would have been difficult for her to listen to these topics

After hearing the topics discussed during this event, it's pretty obvious why Granholm didn't attend. Unfortunately our state has probably the worst business climate of any in the country, and after 6+ years of state businesses clamoring for policy change, it just hasn't happened. While attending would have been the right thing for Granholm to do, it obviously would have been difficult for her to listen to these topics

Front page news in the GR Rag oops Press - "top priority - Eliminate Michigan Business Tax and make corresponding cuts". That's easy to say "make cuts", but nobody wants to give anything up (including the industrial tax exceptions). If business doesn't pay taxes to provide services, guess who gets to, individuals. Sorry "business leaders" your "plan" isn't the solution either.

OTOH, her being in Japan meant that the blame could flow freely. If she'd been present, they'd have had to tone it down.

Aside to GRPress: that big election was in '06, not "last year." (You could look it up.)

So the wifey and I are considering moving back to GR from FL. One of our major concerns is taxes...not only MI income tax but GR. Our jobs make it likely that we would work downtown...and we really don't want to pay these taxes...especially since in FL we don't have these taxes here...and only a 6 or 7% sales tax depending on which county you are in...anyway, would love to come back, but the income taxes are a real deterrent. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to help me convince myself that this would be money well spent?

So the wifey and I are considering moving back to GR from FL. One of our major concerns is taxes...not only MI income tax but GR. Our jobs make it likely that we would work downtown...and we really don't want to pay these taxes...especially since in FL we don't have these taxes here...and only a 6 or 7% sales tax depending on which county you are in...anyway, would love to come back, but the income taxes are a real deterrent. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to help me convince myself that this would be money well spent?

Last year my city income tax (I live here) amounted to about $30. The return includes an option of donating it to Parks, so I Xed that box.

Some time after April 30 (they give ya an extra couple of weeks to file) I received a rebate check of something like $9. I don't recall the reason; might be due to buying my house mid-way through the year. I was headed DT that evening, so I brought it along, rode up to 300 N Monroe, and slid it under the door. Wrote "keep it" on the envelope.

As a former resident of the 313, I am continually amazed by this place, and I'm happy to support it in any way possible. (I would sponsor a planter DT, but that was covered in another thread.)

Last year my city income tax (I live here) amounted to about $30. The return includes an option of donating it to Parks, so I Xed that box.

OTOH, her being in Japan meant that the blame could flow freely. If she'd been present, they'd have had to tone it down.

Aside to GRPress: that big election was in '06, not "last year." (You could look it up.)

plus I would be able to get MSU season football tickets :)

We are about 80-20 on moving back to GR... I guess the taxes aren't a total roadblock, just a pothole in the road.