Greatest Highway Sign

Mr. Brass Bonanza

It's amazing how stupid Massachusetts and Rhode Island think their residents are. In almost every highway sign you see in these two states, "Hartford" is followed by "Ct" or "CT"...as if the people really don't know Hartford is in Connecticut. Maybe it's a lack of respect for our city, I don't know. I'm glad our state considers its residents intelligent enough to know Springfield is in Massachusetts and Providence is in Rhode Island. You don't see any stupid MA or RI designations after those citys' names. Maybe we are smarter, who knows.

However, when the thought of this angers me, I think of the sign below. I don't understand the rationale that people on the Mass Pike know Hartford is in Connecticut and don't need to see the designation (although it quickly returns on 84 in Massachusetts). Nevertheless, I always smile when I see "Hartford" in huge letters above "New York City" on this sign. It's awesome.

hartford_sign.bmp

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's amazing how stupid Massachusetts and Rhode Island think their residents are. In almost every highway sign you see in these two states, "Hartford" is followed by "Ct" or "CT"...as if the people really don't know Hartford is in Connecticut. Maybe it's a lack of respect for our city, I don't know. I'm glad our state considers its residents intelligent enough to know Springfield is in Massachusetts and Providence is in Rhode Island. You don't see any stupid MA or RI designations after those citys' names. Maybe we are smarter, who knows.

However, when the thought of this angers me, I think of the sign below. I don't understand the rationale that people on the Mass Pike know Hartford is in Connecticut and don't need to see the designation (although it quickly returns on 84 in Massachusetts). Nevertheless, I always smile when I see "Hartford" in huge letters above "New York City" on this sign. It's awesome.

hartford_sign.bmp

I don't know, you wouldn't want to confuse travelers to all the other booming metropoli (metropolises??):

Hartford, Alabama, United States

Hartford, Arkansas, United States

Hartford, Iowa, United States

Hartford, Illinois, United States

Hartford, Kansas, United States

Hartford, Kentucky, United States

Hartford, Michigan, United States

Hartford, New York, United States

Hartford, Ohio, United States

Hartford, South Dakota, United States

Hartford, Tennessee, United States

Hartford, Vermont, United States

Hartford, Wisconsin, United States

Hartford, West Virginia, United States

Hartford City, Indiana, United States

Also, no love for CT in NY... the 95 and 287 signs just say "New England".

Then again, in Massachusetts they will add "CT" to signs which reference the next town over.

Example: Exit 74 on I-84 - it mentions "Union CT" and "Holland MA" in one mile and then a half mile. Then there's Exit 100 on I-395, which refers to "East Thompson CT" and "Wilsonville CT" in one mile.

hartford_sign.bmp

I don't know, you wouldn't want to confuse travelers to all the other booming metropoli (metropolises??):

Hartford, Alabama, United States

Hartford, Arkansas, United States

Hartford, Iowa, United States

Hartford, Illinois, United States

Hartford, Kansas, United States

Hartford, Kentucky, United States

Hartford, Michigan, United States

Hartford, New York, United States

Hartford, Ohio, United States

Hartford, South Dakota, United States

Hartford, Tennessee, United States

Hartford, Vermont, United States

Hartford, Wisconsin, United States

Hartford, West Virginia, United States

Hartford City, Indiana, United States

Also, no love for CT in NY... the 95 and 287 signs just say "New England".

the night uconn men won their first hoops championship, i was driving home from nyc. the last two electronic road signs in new york state on the hutchinson river pkwy were flashing "congratulations uconn 1999 ncaa basketball champions!!" think ma or ri would bother to do that? ny has always given ct a litle love. after all, they say in ny that the difference between ct and ma people is that ct people wear sensible shoes. what more do you want?

hartford_sign.bmp

Archived