Postcards

Veloise

Last night I was in K'zoo, and stopped by a grocery store. Postcard rack. Man, do they have some nice images of their town. Here it's the same old river (pre-JW), Ford museum (pre-2007), lit-up bridges, Calder. VAA.

So I contacted the guy who owns THE postcard company, and he sent a sneak preview of a couple images coming out on a calendar next year. I'd suggested shooting the GRFM with the new tenant, and a night shot from Ann or Leonard. And Meijer Gardens, the new GRAM, and ice-skating at RPC (with appropriate measures taken so that he's not paying for some toddler's college education via lawsuit).

Any more ideas? I'll suggest the EGR thingscape fountain, too. If you were playing tourist, what postcard image would you want to send or take home?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last night I was in K'zoo, and stopped by a grocery store. Postcard rack. Man, do they have some nice images of their town. Here it's the same old river (pre-JW), Ford museum (pre-2007), lit-up bridges, Calder. VAA.

So I contacted the guy who owns THE postcard company, and he sent a sneak preview of a couple images coming out on a calendar next year. I'd suggested shooting the GRFM with the new tenant, and a night shot from Ann or Leonard. And Meijer Gardens, the new GRAM, and ice-skating at RPC (with appropriate measures taken so that he's not paying for some toddler's college education via lawsuit).

Any more ideas? I'll suggest the EGR thingscape fountain, too. If you were playing tourist, what postcard image would you want to send or take home?

• 4 weeks later...

Jenison Meijer (hey, I get around!) has some new postcard offerings, now adorning my office wall in scenic & sprawling Cascade. They include:

Ah-nab-awen Park shot of the river, with the new glass tower

Public Museum from the Pearl bridge

A montage with four different views. The Calder taken from its north end, the aforementioned river shot, VAA, and a night shot of the lit-up bridges, with the words GRAND RAPIDS floating in the water

My favorite: a modernized "large letter" card with MICHIGAN in big open letters. A couple of tall skinny lighthouses are in the Is, and the two towers of the Mackinac Bridge are perfectly positioned in the H.

Archived