Portland Mega-Construction #1 (not for 56k)

BrandonTO416

Portland, Oregon is a city on fire, and its flame won't be going out anytime soon. :D This wonderful city has always been among my favorites, so I'm happy to show these construction projects currently proposed or started already. Thanks to edirp for the information.

---

Start with the amazing South Waterfront project. The plan is to extend the downtown streetcar line, and create a new office, residential, and general commercial/entertainment district connecting south with downtown. The plan calls for 21 highrise/midrise structures to be completed over the next 10 years, some have already started construction.

http://www.planning.ci.portland.or.us/pl_sowa_sum.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/special/waterfront/

sowa_vision_east_lg.jpg

sowa_ortho_lg.jpg

sowa_concept_lg.jpg

SouthWaterfront.jpg

The 17-story Cascadian Tower is located along the light rail line in Portland

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That development by the river doesn't do anything for me at all. It looks wedged in and disconnected from the rest of the city, and a little too "plaza" like. Given the natural barriers, maybe a park would have been better.

Reminds me of developments of thirty years ago. "Co-op City" in the Bronx-1970-comes to mind.

Of course in fairness, the renderings aren't very detailed.

The rest of the projects look great.

This development will be connected to downtown Portland by a streetcar line extension. It is highly pedestrian oriented, and will be contiguous with downtown's urban areas - only disconnected by interstate. Portland has already removed an expressway downtown, so they are doing better then most cities.

Here's a map:

dtportlandor.gif

Downtown is right across the Interstate from the area to be developed, which is right to the left of the US-26 highway shield on the map.

They will be continually developing the semi-dead area between downtown and this new development thanks to the streetcar extension.

It may not look like it from the renderings, but it will mend in with the urban fabric really well.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived