Proposed: Pinnacle Place

TBurban

From Ryan_R over at RCW:

Bob Cole was gracious enough to share his high-rise proposal for 501 East Main Street, entitled Pinnacle Place with me this week:

Address: 501 East Main Street

Floors: 17 or 27, depending on demand

Height: 180' or 280', depending on # of floors

Architect: Patrick Zampetti, AIA, NCARB, Studio Z Architecture

Before:

064sc25_5th141.jpg

After:

pinnacle_place_rend.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the design looks really neat. I'm not sure if its my eyes playing tricks on me or if it is designed that way, but it looks like as this building gets taller, it flares outward (really cool!). If I had to guess though, this proposal is probably a long shot only because the construction scene has really cooled off and I'm not sure who is really looking to occupy more Class A office space. It really makes me wonder why MWV didn't consider being a part of Centennial or even this tower? Something just seems amiss here; either that or MWV just wanted their own place next to the river and take up as much prime real estate as they could near the Canal Walk. That project really gripes me because MWV could have landed in a taller tower located elsewhere in downtown offering a more prominent presence. Instead, look at what they did. Anyway, as far as this proposal is concerned, I've also thought about parking (not that we should always accommodate cars, but you know a building downtown has no practicality unless parking is available) - where would there be available parking? I'd rather see a light rail line go right in front of this building prohibiting any need for a parking deck or lot.

Eric, there's a new building going up at s/e corner of 8th Avenue and 42nd Street here in NYCity that flares out from the base and I believe Pinnacle Place is designed that way, too.

But they will HAVE to provide parking within proximity of the tower. I suspect Goodstein's land will be seeing some sort of activity -- if not the original design, perhaps a modified version with lots of parking decks. I can't help but believe that Goodstein is more involved with Pinnacle than we know.

A Ritz Carlton boutique style hotel would be great on the upper glass levels of Pinnacle, or in Centennial.

God I hate that file... it's too tall and plays tricks with my eyes. Maybe that was the desired effect... but geez. Tommy you couldn't have adjusted it? You wouldn't have lost anything, it just would look more natural.

Interesting design and proposal. I'd be curious if the are issues unresolved with any possible encroachment over the sidewalk. Not to mention, I thought there were "set back" requirements for that area. I understand that rendering designs and reality are not closely tied to one another, but just wondering.

Am I the only one that's skeptical about this? Do we really think a guy with a successful hair salon can pull off something like this when an established development company like Goodstein couldn't on a much larger parcel?

This architectural firm recently designed a small office suites concept for the second floor of 501-503 E Main... seems to me that in the process they decided to play around to see what a tower would look like here.

It's neat to look at, imagine, dream about, etc... but I think that's all there is to this.

Am I the only one that's skeptical about this? Do we really think a guy with a successful hair salon can pull off something like this when an established development company like Goodstein couldn't on a much larger parcel?

This architectural firm recently designed a small office suites concept for the second floor of 501-503 E Main... seems to me that in the process they decided to play around to see what a tower would look like here.

It's neat to look at, imagine, dream about, etc... but I think that's all there is to this.

The building, if ever built, wouldn't have expanding floor plates as it went upward (in the shape of a golf tee). Rather, it would be one verrrry slender building. I suspect the intention is for residential, and I wouldn't expect more than 1-2 units per floor. I suspect each floor, including core, would be not more than 4000 SF

Archived