Red Bull Wake Boarding Event at Lake Eola, anyone have pics?

OCF

Did anyone go the Red Bull Wake Lab downtown this weekend. I saw them setting up for it earlier in the week and really wanted to go but my cousins from out of town were dragging their feet getting ready and we ended up missing it. Did anyone get any pics? This was supposed to be a pretty good event and it was reported to have drawn 22,000 spectators. Please share your experience or post pics if you have them.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went for about an hour. If you don't feel like drinking uppers (red bull) mixed with downers (vodka), it was an OK event. I'll say this. There were 4 skydivers/parachutists that jumped from a helicopter to open the event. They all landed in Lake Eola in front of the crowd and the 4th guy was strapped into a wakeboard. That was easily the highlight while I was there. There didn't seem to be a perfect place to view the event other than perhaps a balcony at Paramount, Post Parkside, or Sanctuary. From the ground level, there wasn't a single place that you could see everything. If they configured the ramps a little differently, (lowest ramps in the front and highest ramps in the back) it would have been a better experience.

As with most events, the numbers are exaggerated. I would say 3000-5000 tops and probably closer to 3. It wasn't like the 4th of July. The event did start at 4pm and I got there for the final round of competition. There may have been 10k the whole day. I think it is a hose job to make it sound like the marketing value to Red Bull was a success. Let me also say this. The drinking garden was packed with a couple hundred people. The tent with just Red Bull (and no vodka) was empty. There was a caterer there as well and I didn't see anyone purchase food.

It was mostly the surfer college age crowd. Lots of bleach heads, dude.

Archived