Up & Coming Cities the OVER 1 MIL Club Part II!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chattanooga is a great small city.  Vibrant downtown, good traffic flow,  and most importantly (to me!); quick access to recreational opportunities.  If I were to live outside of NC, Chattanooga would certainly be a choice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um, i don't know where in chattanooga you've been driving, but I24 is always backed up when i drive through to go to atlanta. it is a great little city though. i've been very impressed with what they've done to rejuvinate it.

Actually I justy  hate the Dutch Republicans that live in Grand Rapids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL. My family are all Dutch Democrats from GR, including myself. I really have a hard time believing that the conservatism (haha, is that even a word?) is really because of the Dutch.

I doubt there will be race riots in Michigan, but we are still far too segregated. We will improve our race relations some day.

• 4 months later...

Ok, I know that these metro areas aren't over 1 MIL. But all are up and coming ones.

Alabama Metro Areas:

Population, and assets:

Birmingham: Metro pop. 1,150,916.

City Pop. 236,630

Birmingham has an exceptionally large metro area for a city of it's size. Birmingham hasn't seen much growth at all in the past 40 year. At all. But what grow every year, is it's Metro Area. Jefferson County, the county that Birmingham lies in, is a large asset to this large Metro Population. Though the population of Birmingham has been rapidly decreasing (though it is steadily leveling out) the people that are leaving the South's Last True Industrial City, they are moving out into the county into cities such as Homewood (pop. 24,399), Hoover (pop. 65,070), and Vestavia Hills (pop. 30,909). This means that the average houshold income is increasing. This increase in income is rapidly transforming B'ham into a majorly business city. Amsouth, Southtrust, and Regions banks all find their homes in B'ham. The new increase in B'ham's Metro is also due to the addition of Walker County into the Metro. The current counties include St. Clair, Cullman, Tuscaloosa, and Walker Counties to name a few. Whatever the future hold for B'ham, it is assured that this deep southern city will be instilled in the southern business world.

Mobile: Metro pop: 551,464

City pop: 193, 464

Mobile is the second largest city in Alabama, and the second largest metro area. The large metro area is attributed to it's large international trade, and it's beach cities. Mobile, much like Birmingham, has also decreased in population city-wise. Only not a quickly. Much like Birmingham, people are moving into nearby Baldwin county included in Mobile's Metro Area. Mobile County, except for the city itself, is sparsly populated. Mobile Metro Area is sure to see larger metro growth in the future as Mobile transforms itself into a large business and shipping center, with the new RSA Battle House Tower. The tower will be the second tallest building along the Gulf Coast and will greatly increase the cities business population. This 300 year old city is likely to turn tides and increase insize instead of decrease within a timespan of about 5 years.

Huntsville: Metro pop: 505,111

City pop: 164, 237

Huntsville is the fourth largest city in the state of Alabama, and the most rapidly growing. The metro area is also one of the fastest growing in all of the Tennessee Valley. This is greatly attributed to many things. A world class airport (Huntsville-Decatur International Airport), 2 major interstates

(I-65, I-565), The Redstone Arsenal, Marshall Space Flight Center, the largest Space Center in the country, and three other major municipalities lighing outside the city: Decatur pop. 54,000 (metro: 110,000), Madison pop. 33,000, and Athens pop. 26,000 (metro: 30,500). Decatur was once larger than Huntsville, burned down in the civil war. The valley has greatly rebounded with the installment of TVA in the valley. This metro area could possibly reach 1 MIL within 10-15 years.

Actually I just hate the Dutch Republicans that live in Grand Rapids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My family is Dutch, Republican, conservative, and lives in Grand Rapids. We are actively against racism, discrimination, and segregation in any form. I personally live in a multi-ethnic neighboorhood, am a member at arguably the most diverse congregation in the city, am a member of several diversity organizations, and am currently involved in a program of improving race-relations. I do not deny that racial problems exist in my city; I try to help stop them.

A comment like yours, I'd suggest, (in addition to being ironic) is insensitive to both those hurting because of racism and those working to stop it.

Stop pointing the finger and do something about it.

-Michael Rodriguez

• 5 weeks later...

Greensboro-Winston-Salem CSA: 1,323,536 - Seems to get lost between Charlotte and Raleigh.  It's never good being the third city in a state.  However, I think Austin is a good illustration of how an older city with enough character can shine, even with two larger cities in the state.  Lots of potential, solid growth.  Needs something to make it stand out against it's two bigger neighors to the east and south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One interesting thing to consider with Greensboro-Winston-Salem: There are a LOT of major infrastructure projects going on right now, especially in Greensboro. By the time the majority of the Triad's highway projects are complete, it looks like they'll have more capacity per car than any other metro in NC. With this potential, I see Greensboro's growth getting faster as property costs in Raleigh and Charlotte start getting too high and smaller businesses or first-time homeowners start moving there. They'll have highway capacity to sustain lots of growth for years to come, without the hassle Charlotee's seeing with trying to expand capacity merely to meet or keep up with growth.

MM

• 2 weeks later...

Jacksonville is definitely making things happen.  I think they're on the right track.  The rest of the south seems like it won't stop growing/sprawling anytime soon (with the exception of LA).  Established cities, like New Orleans and Buffalo may have an advantage in the coming years because of the renewed interest in urban living, but I really can't imagine people wanting to go back to Buffalo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? do you know anything about Buffalo or are you going on preconceptions?

Ok, I know that these metro areas aren't over 1 MIL. But all are up and coming ones.

Alabama Metro Areas:

Population, and assets:

Birmingham: Metro pop. 1,150,916.

City Pop. 236,630

Birmingham has an exceptionally large metro area for a city of it's size. Birmingham hasn't seen much growth at all in the past 40 year. At all. But what grow every year, is it's Metro Area. Jefferson County, the county that Birmingham lies in, is a large asset to this large Metro Population.

Remind you of another Southern city, AlabamaGuy?

(Hint: ATL)

mostly on my preconception of how cold it is up there.  40 inches of snow just isn't much in style anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buffalo's problems don't stem form Snow but from bad PR and crappy state government. If cold and snow was so bad the North East would not still be the most populous part of the country (by a wide margine), Not to mention Canada's rapidly growing cold and snowy cities.

Buffalo is a highly under rated place that people know almost nothing about except for what they think they know.

Though battered over the last 40 years it is still a beautiful and urban city packed with great architecture. It has dense Victorian neighborhoods, and a strategic position on the Canadian border less than 2 hour drive from 8 million Canandians and Canada's largest city. It has a beautiful natural setting with 2 of the Great Lakes, the Niagara River, (Niagara Falls is one of its suburbs). It has mountains and canyons a short drive to the south with ski resorts 1 hour from downtown. It is in the middle of a major wine producing area surrounded by the Canadian wineries on the Niagara Peninsula and the Finger Lakes wineries in New York. It has major cultural institutions including the world renouned Albright Knox Art Gallery. Also it is cheap. A normal person can live well in Buffalo. Let some of these newer suburban sprawl type cities age a bit and cities like Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh

BUFFALO FROM THE EAST

buffeast2gr.jpg

Leets-

Is that pic Buffalo's skyline? If so, I'm quite impressed with it, didn't realize it had much of one.

You're very right, Buffalo is very affordable, as are most upstate NY cities. I go to school in Albany and I cannot beleive how cheap housing is.

It's definitely an overlooked city. Buffalo has an important strategic location, and is historically very important as the first gateway to the west. Throw in its natural attractions, and you have a sound city especially given its declined rust belt status.

They know that jobs are flowing to the south and west due to inept State government and Federal policies and subsidies that favor suburbs and areas that are growing in the south and west. I am not trying to gloss over Buffalo's problems but its assets are fact. Also fact is that some growth areas are maxing out their land and resources. Add in the fact that many newer cities are built like crap and rust belt cities will start looking a lot more attractive. Remember that nothing is forever. Buffalo was once the nation's 8th largest city now it is not. What will happen to today's 8th largest city in 40 years? Will it continue to grow? Maybe not. Will California continue to grow or will it falter under the burden of it massively expensive real-estate and size like NY State did?

Because of its age Buffalo has assets that make it unique. If it is smart it will protect those asset and will have no problem competing with the upstart Sunbelt cities.

BUFFALO FROM THE SOUTH

buffaloskyline1.jpg

One interesting thing to consider with Greensboro-Winston-Salem: There are a LOT of major infrastructure projects going on right now, especially in Greensboro. By the time the majority of the Triad's highway projects are complete, it looks like they'll have more capacity per car than any other metro in NC. With this potential, I see Greensboro's growth getting faster as property costs in Raleigh and Charlotte start getting too high and smaller businesses or first-time homeowners start moving there. They'll have highway capacity to sustain lots of growth for years to come, without the hassle Charlotee's seeing with trying to expand capacity merely to meet or keep up with growth.

MM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that the Triad - in spite of all the improvements to roads - still suffers from a lack of water...keeping a lid on growth...?

• 2 weeks later...

If cold and snow was so bad the North East would not still be the most populous part of the country (by a wide margine)

I am sorry Leets, but the Northeast is no longer the most populous US region. The Southeast is, and has been for some time. Florida will soon have more people than New York, and Georgia and North Carolina are both approaching 10,000,000.

I am sorry Leets, but the Northeast is no longer the most populous US region. The Southeast is, and has been for some time. Florida will soon have more people than New York, and Georgia and North Carolina are both approaching 10,000,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And us Virginians are picking up the pace with rapid government expansions :thumbsup: Also... I haven't read enough of this thread to see, but Hampton Roads is quickly headed for 2 million and we get zero respect. In that way (to Grand Rapids person) I feel for you, lol.

Archived