Up & Coming Cities the OVER 1 MIL Club Part II!

You are exactly right Peninsulakiddo, Hampton Roads area deosn't get any attention or respect outside Virginia. Virginia is my home state, and I think that's a shame. Norfolk and Newport News and Virginia Beach are large and great folks. They need to be discovered because there is lots to do there. There is much history there as well, especially Norfolk. And Virginia remains one of the nations fastest growing states. It grew by a solid 14% in 1990 to 2000, and is accelerating in this decade. In the 80's Hampton Roads grew by 20%, ranking it up there with the fastest growing metros, and it keeps growing today. Hampton Roads is larger than Richmond but yet Richmond gets more attention!

The largest southern states are: (excluding Maryland and W. Va.)

1. Florida, 16,500,000

2. Georgia, 8,700,000

3. North Carolina, 8,500,000

4. Virginia, 7,200,000

5. Tennessee, 6,000,000

6. Louisiana, 4,600,000

7. Alabama, 4,500,000

8. Kentucky, 4,200,000

9. South Carolina, 4,100,000

10. Mississippi, 3,000,000

11. Arkansas, 2,900,000

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry Leets, but the Northeast is no longer the most populous US region. The Southeast is, and has been for some time. Florida will soon have more people than New York, and Georgia and North Carolina are both approaching 10,000,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct if you are talking about an area of the country defined by a name but the Northeast is a much smaller land area than the Southeast so it is very high density and thus the most populous part of the country. There is no equivalent part of the south or west that has the concentration of population that is found in the northeast portion of the country.

the Great Lakes Region has five states in it, Three of which are in the top ten population wise. IL, Oh, MI. The other two, are in the top twentyIN,WI, 45 Million people live in those five states. Add them to the NE and theres not much comparison.

Give FL, GA, NC and VA a few more years of Growing and then look at the list, I'd wager the Desert soutwest is the only region in the country growing faster than the south.

You know, I'm not surprised you left off the Grand Rapids metro. Despite having 1.3 million in the CSA in 2003 and most likely over 1.5 million by 2010, the metro gets very little respect on the forum.

Yeah.

I would actually guess closer to 1.6 million by 2010. Larger than Milwaukee by about 2020 or so (if current trends continue) - and still no respect.

With only 100 miles between them, as I drive between the Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham metros now, there's really only one spot (between Salisbury and Lexington) that's not part of one of these metros.

Thats the truth. I live in Lex-veg myself and we already pick both Charlotte and Greensboro radio and TV stations. If you look at charlotte's wbtv you will see that were in there viewing area and we show up on there weather map. Also alot of people are moving into our small communites(suburbs?) of Linwood and Welcome. And with the receration of High Rock Lake to the south of us, it's only a matter of time before Davidson County's sprawl reaches Rowan County, and this merger will begain.

the Great Lakes Region has five states in it, Three of which are in the top ten population wise.  IL, Oh, MI.  The other two, are in the top twentyIN,WI, 45 Million people live in those five states.  Add them to the NE and theres not much comparison. 

Give FL, GA, NC and VA a few more years of Growing and then look at the list,  I'd wager the Desert soutwest is the only region in the country growing faster than the south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Great Lakes region consists of 8 states - MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, PA, and NY.

The Great Lakes region consists of 8 states - MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, PA, and NY.

No, the Great Lakes region is Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin. Minnesota is part of the Northern Plains region while New York and Pennsylvania are part of the Mid-Atlantic region.

No, the Great Lakes region is Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin.  Minnesota is part of the Northern Plains region while New York and Pennsylvania are part of the Mid-Atlantic region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The MN side of the Red River Valley would be considered part of the Northern Plains region. Minnesota is also part of the Driftless Region, which includes Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin and the North Woods region, which includes MN, Wisconsin and Michigan.

I studied ecology for a few years and from that perspecitive, MN is part of the Great Lakes region as is NY and PA. It's not really a big deal.

well from a statistical perspective not all states that touch the great lakes are part of the "great lakes" region. NY and PA are Mid-Atlantic

MN is great plains, The Ecology of it all has little to do with population centers and statistics.

But your right, it really isn't a big deal.

Archived