Organized Labor

Boomer136

It should be no secret that I am a Union member, and ex-member of two other unions. I also get pretty passionate about defending what is good as well as condemning what is bad about organized labor. I have posted things on the boards that really weren't cogent to the topic. My apologies. From now on I'll move the quote over here and respond.

Feel free to gripe, condemn, etcetera if you like, unions are by no means perfect. Many say if management treated their employees right there wouldn't be a need for Unions. I say True. And if everyone treated everyone else right, Nations wouldn't need militaries, cities wouldn't need police, and God woldn't need Hell.

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should be no secret that I am a Union member, and ex-member of two other unions. I also get pretty passionate about defending what is good as well as condemning what is bad about organized labor. I have posted things on the boards that really weren't cogent to the topic. My apologies. From now on I'll move the quote over here and respond.

Feel free to gripe, condemn, etcetera if you like, unions are by no means perfect. Many say if management treated their employees right there wouldn't be a need for Unions. I say True. And if everyone treated everyone else right, Nations wouldn't need militaries, cities wouldn't need police, and God woldn't need Hell.

Thanks.

Not just Unions and corporations. It is interesting that many of these political activities are done by 'professional organizations' like the American Medical Association, National Association of Home Builders, etc, etc... People who do the same job normally like to talk with others who do the same thing, the next step to helping each other out is a small one.

The AMA's push to limit the practice of Nurse Practitioners and Pharmacists are classic jurisdiction fights that any trade unionist would recognize. Not surprisingly, the NAHB is pushing the Paulson plan, asking members to contact their congressmen/women, and depending on how you fall on that idea will be the way you may feel about the NAHB.

So to quote some rap song or other, don't hate the playa, hate the game!

Or it's all part of the free market. Free markets allow associations, and generally trend towards monopolies, I think that has been well established. For all the bluster of people equating unions, but not these other associations for some reason, with communism seem to ignore the fact that communist states, at least as we have seen them here so far, would not tolerate an association, or union, other than the 'state' controlled party of which everyone is a member.

The euphemism 'market forces' I think include collusion because as free actors we are able to form and disband groups with the mission of doing good for their members.

Sure. But the market is no longer free when those groups include a government that can make laws to favor one group over another. Collusion with the government is an inevitability, unless there is something like our Constitution in place to keep that from happening.

...however, the Constitution must be followed.

It is very difficult for a true monopoly to arise without the government's assistance.

Hey Boomer, have you ever read a book called 'No Logo' by Naomi Klein? Very good book if not, it should be back at the Orlando Central Library here in a week or so (i.e. as soon as I'm done with it!) Only tangentially related to unions, really more about many international corporations and their attempts to become a workerless logo 'brand' instead of a responsible corporate citizen, but of course that does indeed involve some union busting.

Hey Boomer, have you ever read a book called 'No Logo' by Naomi Klein? Very good book if not, it should be back at the Orlando Central Library here in a week or so (i.e. as soon as I'm done with it!) Only tangentially related to unions, really more about many international corporations and their attempts to become a workerless logo 'brand' instead of a responsible corporate citizen, but of course that does indeed involve some union busting.

Archived