Downtown Development plans move forward.

The Voice of Reason

On Sept 11, the city has released the new downtown development plans.

They are available on the city planning dept website,

http://www.hartford.gov/Development/planni...n-plan-zone.htm

or in the 3 links below.

Downtown North

http://www.hartford.gov/Development/planni...n%20Package.pdf

Constitution Plaza East

http://www.hartford.gov/Development/planni...t%20Package.pdf

Downtown West II

http://www.hartford.gov/Development/planni...n%20Package.pdf

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am reading the studies now. and posting tidbits as I see them.

At first glance, the breath, or scale if you will is MASSIVE. the downtown North so far has revealed one little gem so far.

The 8 story Best Western is now an 11 story Best Western. We know about the added rooms, but not the added floors. Mind you this is nothing official, just it is mentioned in an area described as the market street service district.

There is also a plan for a new magnet school in the Keeney tower area with a fixed up park.

There is of course a large "higher density" residential component.

I am not sure exactly how much interest this whole shebang will generate, but the fact that the city is offering up 9.5 acres of land to get the ball rolling is a good start.

There is a map showing how much of the land is city owned or state owned, and then shows a few private parcels identified to be added. its no wonder this area is a dead zone.

This area and this plan is on scale with what Antares is doing in Bridgeport, but the demolition is done, and most of the land acquisition is done. the problem is that its nt waterfront and its in Hartfords North End and has no connection to New York City :)

The 2nd one is for Broadcast house and the Clarion Hotel. the redevelopment plan is non descript it just allows the city to use eminent domain if necessesary.

and well it will, so you can expect the city to start proceedings on the hotel owners in a few months.

The 3rd one is the area between capitol West and the new emergency serviced center thing they want to build

I am reading the studies now. and posting tidbits as I see them.

At first glance, the breath, or scale if you will is MASSIVE. the downtown North so far has revealed one little gem so far.

The 8 story Best Western is now an 11 story Best Western. We know about the added rooms, but not the added floors. Mind you this is nothing official, just it is mentioned in an area described as the market street service district.

There is also a plan for a new magnet school in the Keeney tower area with a fixed up park.

There is of course a large "higher density" residential component.

I am not sure exactly how much interest this whole shebang will generate, but the fact that the city is offering up 9.5 acres of land to get the ball rolling is a good start.

There is a map showing how much of the land is city owned or state owned, and then shows a few private parcels identified to be added. its no wonder this area is a dead zone.

This area and this plan is on scale with what Antares is doing in Bridgeport, but the demolition is done, and most of the land acquisition is done. the problem is that its nt waterfront and its in Hartfords North End and has no connection to New York City :)

The 2nd one is for Broadcast house and the Clarion Hotel. the redevelopment plan is non descript it just allows the city to use eminent domain if necessesary.

and well it will, so you can expect the city to start proceedings on the hotel owners in a few months.

The 3rd one is the area between capitol West and the new emergency serviced center thing they want to build

I skimmed through the plans. Thankfully redevelopment these days in Hartford mean saving the historic buildings, the only ones targeted for demolition are horrific modernist buildings (and the HB Davis, which should be a thriving building today if it weren't killed by I-84. Sadly, though, from the aerial view, it's much too late. What an urban wasteland much of Hartford has become. I trust Dr. O'Brien is not like the Bishops who dreamed of creating a Hartford that didn't work. We're going backwards now, trying to salvage what's left and correct mistakes. That's the future of Hartford, correcting the last 50 years of mistakes. It's a daunting task.

I find it interesting that parking for Union Station is a priority now. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the commuter rail to New Haven and Springfield has been plannned. Though the corrupt, bumbling, asphalt-obsessed DOT hasn't made any progress in that.

Lastly, a shame that the only kind of structure planned to grace the once beautiful Asylum Hill is a towering parking garage. The view to the west with the towers of Hartford Public rising over the city before I-84 was stunning, it will continue to be a disgrace under this new plan. Developers in this state just cannot build anything other than crap today.

I skimmed through the plans. Thankfully redevelopment these days in Hartford mean saving the historic buildings, the only ones targeted for demolition are horrific modernist buildings (and the HB Davis, which should be a thriving building today if it weren't killed by I-84. Sadly, though, from the aerial view, it's much too late. What an urban wasteland much of Hartford has become. I trust Dr. O'Brien is not like the Bishops who dreamed of creating a Hartford that didn't work. We're going backwards now, trying to salvage what's left and correct mistakes. That's the future of Hartford, correcting the last 50 years of mistakes. It's a daunting task.

I find it interesting that parking for Union Station is a priority now. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the commuter rail to New Haven and Springfield has been plannned. Though the corrupt, bumbling, asphalt-obsessed DOT hasn't made any progress in that.

Lastly, a shame that the only kind of structure planned to grace the once beautiful Asylum Hill is a towering parking garage. The view to the west with the towers of Hartford Public rising over the city before I-84 was stunning, it will continue to be a disgrace under this new plan. Developers in this state just cannot build anything other than crap today.

Archived