I-85/I-385 widening proposed

gman430

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All are of the overpasses on that stretch already wide enough to accommodate six lanes?

Four interchanges will receive new bridges: Exit 36 (Interstate 85), Exit 35 (Woodruff Road, SPUI), Exit 31 (SC-417), Exit 30 (over I-185 northbound/US-276 westbound). Most existing bridges were built thirty years ago to accommodate the eventual widening.

Will this project involve better interchanges (e.g., flyovers instead of cloverleafs) at key intersections as well? I know that would probably add a lot to the cost, but with the population growth projections being what they are I think such improvements would really benefit everyone in the long run.

According to this Gville News article, the funds have been ok'ed for this project. The widening should start in the SPring, but the interchange would not be constructed until 2013. This seems inefficient to me, that they would not be done at the same time. :dontknow: The article states that the interchange is second on the priority list behing the 26/20 interchange in Cola. Though I can understand how they need a new interchange there, I would say it is in much better shape than 85/385. The 20/26 seems to have a lot more traffic whenever I am there, so perhaps that is the reason, but the Interchange at 85/385 seems to be in worse shape with a worse layout.

Rant...

First of all, let me say that I'm excited about the prospect of I-385 widening beginning next year. But, these details seem to be a little dangerous:

Widening of the 6.5 miles stretch from 4 to 6 lanes could begin in the spring of 2010 and cost $70 million. The timetable is one year for this project, completing in 2011.

The makeover of the I-85/I-385/Woodruff Rd interchanges has not been moved up. This project is set to cost $240 million and not begin until 2013 (Columbia's malfunction junction is the first priority on interchanges).

I do realize that this interchange project will be a very large engineering undertaking and obviously take some time. So, we're going to widen the interstate, making almost all of Greenville County's portion of 385 six lanes. Bravo! However, I-385 will bottleneck back down to two lanes, I assume, at I-85 and Woodruff Road for TWO years before any interchange work even begins (the assumption comes assuming 385 cannot accommodate 6 lanes across 85). People will have their 6 lanes, enabling them to go faster, but this is never a good idea to combine with bottlenecking among the hills/curves/limited visibility of the Upstate's interstates. That stretch is tricky to drive today, but atleast the traffic volume and number of lanes force you (and just as importantly: others) to take the drive slower.

Not to mention that this comes as Samsung is locating 1,000 jobs just off 385 on this stretch and the Golden Strip continues to be one of the fastest growing portions of the county.

Edited by GvilleSC

The fact that SCDOT has committed funding to widen 385 is pretty impressive, and I'm glad that they are moving forward with it, even if the overpass is still several years away.

My concern, however, is that this is the cycle that both Atlanta and Charlotte have shown us does not work in the long run. By making commute times "faster" we're just making it easier to live further and further away from employment locations and encouraging more unsustainable development in that part of the county. As a result, 385 will be re-clogged within 10 years, just like I-85. Then what do we do?

I'm not suggesting that SCDOT not widen 385. Having a 6 lane interstate is ideal in an urban environment. My point is that we (i.e.: the Upstate) have to start realizing that bad traffic is a symptom of a larger problem.

• 8 months later...

According to a front page story today in the Greenville News, there are currently four proposals to reconstruct the I-85/I-385/Woodruff Road interchange. Two of these proposals include completely closing the Woodruff Road/I-85 interchange for good and building a new one between the current one and Salters Road. A new road would also be built along it and connect from Verdae Blvd. to Market Point Drive at the Point. There would be five connection points along it to connect to Woodruff Road. These include Verdae Blvd, Green Heron Road, Woodruff Industrial Lane, Carolina Point Parkway, and Market Point Drive. Total cost of project is $235 million with construction scheduled to start in 2013. Just by going off the sound of the article, it sounds like the city of Greenville along with the SCDOT support the two proposals that would eliminate the I-85/Woodruff Road interchange. In my opinion, it looks like a good plan that would help alleviate the traffic jams that currently plague that area.

Edited by citylife

I like the idea of gridding, and moving the exit AWAY from the 385 interchange is good for congestion reasons on the interstates. It does make me wonder how much it's going to relieve the area of congestion. However, with a new gridded system, maybe some zoning that pushes new urbanism in the area would be possible?

According to a front page story today in the Greenville News, there are currently four proposals to reconstruct the I-85/I-385/Woodruff Road interchange. Two of these proposals include completely closing the Woodruff Road/I-85 interchange for good and building a new one between the current one and Salters Road. A new road would also be built along it and connect from Verdae Blvd. to Market Point Drive at the Point. There would be five connection points along it to connect to Woodruff Road. These include Verdae Blvd, Green Heron Road, Woodruff Industrial Lane, Carolina Point Parkway, and Market Point Drive. Total cost of project is $235 million with construction scheduled to start in 2013. Just by going off the sound of the article, it sounds like the city of Greenville along with the SCDOT support the two proposals that would eliminate the I-85/Woodruff Road interchange.

Woodruff Road losing one of its interstate interchanges has been a given. Its Interstate 85 interchange is indeed the one to close. Too bad it was not closed in the first place in the early 1980s when 385 was extended tp 276, then onward to Clinton.

Building a connector road will be pointless. Plans are underway to widen Salters Road to four lanes from Verdae to Millenium, and onward to Mauldin.

Building a new 85 interchange for Woodruff Road is pointless. Itself and Roper Mountain Road provide two quality access points to 385 which connect to 85. Convert both interchanges to SPUIS.

• 7 months later...

Alternatives 2 and 4 are options now being considered. Alternatives 1 and 1B no longer being used: Interstate 85/385 Interchange Options {sodEmoji.|} Facebook $235 million is estimated cost of project with construction slated to begin in late 2012/early 2013 after widening of I-385 in Mauldin area is complete.

Alternatives 1 and 1B would have closed the I-85 exits onto Woodruff Road and created a new exit about 2,900 feet to the south, slicing through the Verdae mixed-use development on one side of the interstate and affecting Millennium Park and The Point campus on the other while connecting to Woodruff via several smaller roads. These two alternatives compared to the other two would have been the most costly, had the greatest environmental impact, offered only modest traffic improvements and drew the most concerns from stakeholders according to the Greenville News which is why they were removed from consideration.

Among the two remaining options is one (Alternative 2) that maintains existing ramps but puts I-385 northbound traffic to Woodruff on a loop, according to DOT maps.

The other option (Alternative 4) would eliminate Woodruff Road access for southbound and northbound I-385 drivers at I-85. Instead, drivers on I-385 would have to get off at Roper Mountain Road or at the dedicated Woodruff exit on I-385.

Edited by citylife

I like both alternatives, but prefer #4 over #2 because the Woodruff Road exit from southbound I-85 and southbound I-385 (via I-85) currently has too many merging lanes within a short distance, and #2 doesn't appear to correct the problem. Eliminating that traffic hazard from the interchange area would be a major improvement. I also love the idea of keeping exiting traffic separate from the main freeway on I-385, between I-85 and Woodruff Road.

Alternative 4

I85_I385_Interchange_Alternative4_01b.jpg

Edited by Skyliner

• 1 month later...

Public meeting regarding I-85/I-385 interchange project is going on right now at Beck Academy: http://www.scdot.org...icle_1171.shtml Below are pdf files of the two plans SCDOT is looking at to fix the problem:

Alternative 2-C: http://www.scdot.org...play_Alt-2C.pdf

Alternative 4: http://www.scdot.org...splay_Alt-4.pdf

You can read about each alternative on page 2 here: http://www.scdot.org/public/pdfs/meetings_I-85_I-385_handout.pdf

Edited by citylife

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

SC DOT will hold a public hearing tonight on plans for the I-85/I-385 interchange, from 5-7 p.m. at Beck Academy at 901 Woodruff Road. WSPA and Fox Carolina report that "DOT officials say that the hearing will give people the opportunity to review and discuss the preliminary plans for the project, which includes re-configuration and improvements of the existing interchange." However, reports go on to say that DOT officials are also asking the public for "information on historic or cultural resources in the area." Does anyone know what that means and how it relates to the interchange reconstruction?

Preliminary plans are posted here:

Overview: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/PublicHearings/I-85_i-385_display.pdf

I-85 cross sections: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/PublicHearings/I-85_i-385_typical85.pdf

I-385 cross sections: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/PublicHearings/I-85_i-385_typical385.pdf

The access ramp from I-385 South to Woodruff Rd. next to Old Country Rd. (between Greenridge and Magnolia Park) will be eliminated, which will put more Woodruff Rd. traffic pressure on the Roper Mtn. interchange and the ramp that meets Woodruff adjacent to Fudruckers. Woodruff Rd. will be even more of a nightmare than ever all the way from west of Roper Mtn. to east of Butler Rd. Since the ramp from I-385 South to I-85 South will bypass Woodruff Rd., I wish they had added a new ramp to Salters Rd.and possibly extended Woodruff Industrial Ln. to Old Sulphur Springs Rd. to allow alternate access to that stretch of Woodruff. Without those improvements, businesses may suffer.

Unfortunately, I can't attend the meeting tonight.

SC DOT will hold a public hearing tonight on plans for the I-85/I-385 interchange, from 5-7 p.m. at Beck Academy at 901 Woodruff Road. WSPA and Fox Carolina report that "DOT officials say that the hearing will give people the opportunity to review and discuss the preliminary plans for the project, which includes re-configuration and improvements of the existing interchange." However, reports go on to say that DOT officials are also asking the public for "information on historic or cultural resources in the area." Does anyone know what that means and how it relates to the interchange reconstruction?

Preliminary plans are posted here:

Overview: http://www.scdot.org...385_display.pdf

I-85 cross sections: http://www.scdot.org...5_typical85.pdf

I-385 cross sections: http://www.scdot.org..._typical385.pdf

The access ramp from I-385 South to Woodruff Rd. next to Old Country Rd. (between Greenridge and Magnolia Park) will be eliminated, which will put more Woodruff Rd. traffic pressure on the Roper Mtn. interchange and the ramp that meets Woodruff adjacent to Fudruckers. Woodruff Rd. will be even more of a nightmare than ever all the way from west of Roper Mtn. to east of Butler Rd. Since the ramp from I-385 South to I-85 South will bypass Woodruff Rd., I wish they had added a new ramp to Salters Rd.and possibly extended Woodruff Industrial Ln. to Old Sulphur Springs Rd. to allow alternate access to that stretch of Woodruff. Without those improvements, businesses may suffer.

Unfortunately, I can't attend the meeting tonight.

Market Point Dr also needs to be connected to Carolina Point Parkway.

• 8 months later...