I-85/I-385 widening proposed

gman430

Information on Salters Road widening project which is slated to start construction in August 2014 and coincide with the I-85/I-385 interchange project: http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/PublicHearings/SaltersRoad_Ad.pdf

I'm not sure 4 lanes is necessary, but this sounds like such a great upgrade due to the sidewalks, bike lanes, and 15 ft planted median.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selection of Short-listed teams...........................................Friday, August 30, 2013

Issue RFP for Industry Review...........................................Friday, September 13, 2013

Deadline for PROPOSERS to submit Comments/Questions.........Friday, September 27, 2013

Issue Final RFP.............................................................October 2013

Preliminary ATC Submittals (Start Date)...............................October 2013

Confidential RFP and ATC Questions submitted with PROPOSERS...................................November 2013

Confidential RFP and ATC One-on-One meetings with PROPOSERS............................... November 2013

Begin Formal ATC Process................................................November 2013

All ATC’s SHALL be submitted prior to................................November 2013

Submittal of Proposals......................................................January 2014

Bid Opening (with team representatives present).......................January 2014

Notification of Selection...................................................January 2014 Award/Contract Execution................................................Commission Mtg. Feb. 2014

Edited by gman430

• 3 months later...

Politics as usual: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20131024/NEWS/310240072/Money-85-projects-delayed This is crap and everybody from the upstate to the midlands knows it. This is all simply being done because the lowcountry crybabies aren't getting anything for once even though the upstate and midlands have been screwed the past few decades. Delay, delay, and more delay. 

Edited by gman430

Politics as usual: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20131024/NEWS/310240072/Money-85-projects-delayed This is crap and everybody from the upstate to the midlands knows it. This is all simply being done because the lowcountry crybabies aren't getting anything for once even though the upstate and midlands have been screwed the past few decades. Delay, delay, and more delay. 

The State had this interesting analysis of the situation yesterday, before the vote took place: http://www.thestate.com/2013/10/23/3055806/tempest-brews-over-how-sc-should.html

• 3 weeks later...

COLUMBIA — The State Transportation Infrastructure Bank today unanimously approved four Interstate improvement projects, including two along I-85.

The plan would also approve preliminary engineering for several other projects, including for an area along I-26 near Columbia known as "Malfunction Junction."

The cost would be about $550 million, paid for with bonds and cash made available by the Legislature earlier this year.

The I-85 projects would be improving the I-85/385 interchange and widening sections in Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Soil drilling/testing now underway. Construction starts August 2014.

Award of the project should happen around August 2014, once award has been made the contractor will have 1 year to finalize the design for the project.

Minimal work might take place in 2014, but the majority will begin in mid-late 2015.

• 2 months later...

A joint venture of Flatiron Construction Corp. of Denver and Zachry Construction Corp. of Texas produced the winning bid for the I-85/385 project, officials disclosed Thursday, and will have 1,035 days to finish the work after the state Department of Transportation issues a notice to proceed.

• 2 months later...

"The South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) has issued the first of two "Notice to Proceed" (NTP) orders to Flatiron-Zachry. This marks the beginning of a 410-day design phase." (This phase will be followed by the 1,035-day construction phase.) http://www.wspa.com/story/27439870/scdot-begins-design-work-on-the-i-85i-385-interchange-project 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to unannounced lane closings on I-85 last weekend, a trip from Greenville to Charlotte last weekend took 3 hours.  The SCDOT should consider doing a temporary extension of some of the Raleigh-Charlotte trains, all the way to Greenville or even Atlanta, while this construction is going on.