Monroe Buildings

gater

Ok, I have a few inquiries on Monroe Ave buildings. I don't know the addresses, so stay with me a second.

First building is on Monroe and Michigan, between the grand rapids press and river house, across the street from devos place. It's also next door to the post office. That should narrow it down. If you do streetview in google maps at the address (190 Michigan St NWhttp://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Grand Rapids, MI 49503) you can spin and see it. What was/is this building. I love the look of it, it's HUGE. It seems vacant because the entrance isn't used. Are there any plans for it?

The second building is down Monroe north of brassworks. It's a white building with the roof collapsed. Are there any plans to tear it down or rebuild? It's a shame to have a nice area with a building like that.

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are talking about the red brick building thats the Palintent (sp) in anycase it was a luxury hotel back in the day and competed with the hotel that amway corp bought years ago. In fact RDV corp owns both hotels now. There is no plans so far for the old building but what I have heard on here is that there is some structural issues among others that needs work on before it could be reopened to offices or another hotel.

I believe the one between the Press building and the post office your talking about was the Rowe hotel and then a senior center, it is now owned by one of the Devoses, and the building North of brass works is the site for the north Monroe Hotel, which last time i checked was still in the planning stages, i think those are the two building you were talking about, if i'm looking at the correct two.

I believe the one between the Press building and the post office your talking about was the Rowe hotel and then a senior center, it is now owned by one of the Devoses, and the building North of brass works is the site for the north Monroe Hotel, which last time i checked was still in the planning stages, i think those are the two building you were talking about, if i'm looking at the correct two.

I cant spell so dont annoy me on that. I think most people get that right. As for not existing, well amway calls it the wing of the hotel. So I guess it still exists as a wing of the Grand Plaza. But getting back it would be nice to see the rowe converted into something. I guess money is tight right now.

Just because parts of a building might be crumbling, doesn't mean it's being neglected, actually. The Wrigley Building in Chicago experienced problems with its facade crumbling. The problematic portions were eventually replaced with plastic replicas of the original parts. (The original material used does not handle winters well.) Even the Pantlind has experienced some crumbling. If you look in the right places, you will see a few spots where the floral design on the cornice just isn't there.

I want it demolished too, i now it wasn't clear but what i meant was maybe a developer could convince the post office to allow demolition of the current building and replace it with something with more space for them and provide the city some other needed things. what those things are i don't know.

Archived