UP Tour

cheshireguy

My wife and I had a week to kill so we took off from Northport (where we did a weekend wine tour along the Leelanau) and spent a week in the UP. Having grown up in the Grand Rapids area, I have been to the UP only for St. Ignace car shows and the Soo Locks to see ship pass by. I was AMAZED at some of the cities we stayed in, in particular Marquette and Houghton.

Marquette was much larger than I had expected, and the old architecture rivals any cities in the lower half of our state (in terms of quality). Copper topped buildings, great lake and port views, and a hotel that we stayed in (the Landmark Inn) was fantastic. Houghton was also a wonderful surprise, as it was much larger than expected and boasted great shopping, two brewpubs, and a storied history as well.

We also hit and loved such towns as Calumet, Manistique, Ishpeming, and Copper Harbor. I guess I really underestimated what the less-publicized upper-half of our own state had to offer. We are going back next year to see more!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived