Ozarks Highland Trail

The Ozark Highlands Trail is featured in this month's Natl Geographic. Nice to see our area getting noticed. Nice article, although I had hoped for a little more photos. I had heard a while back ago about trying to connect the Ozark Highlands Trail up to the Ark-MO border and eventually hook up with one of Missouri's version of the Ozark Highlands Trail. Setting up an eventual trail that would span from St Louis over to Oklahoma. But I learned in the article that apparently for now it's off. It's path would have taken it through 14 miles of a preserved wilderness area of the Buffalo National River. The Natl Park Service and a number of people weren't happy with the idea of a major trail going through a preservation area. I can see that, but I would still hope that they could move that section of trail to another area. Not that I ever seeing myself wanting to hike all the way to St Louis. But I did like the idea of a longer trail.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a good article- the trail has been wrote up a few times in National Geographic over the years. It's a great trail, I"ve dayhiked several sections of it but never overnight. Still haven't made it down to the new Lake Fort Smith section but I hear it's very nice. Here's a link to the OHTA website- they do a great job of keeping the trail up and promoting it.

OHTA site

After reading the online article I realize that it isn't the same as the print version because it doesn't say anything about the trail not being planned for extension. I'll have to find the print version to see what it says.

That was a good article- the trail has been wrote up a few times in National Geographic over the years. It's a great trail, I"ve dayhiked several sections of it but never overnight. Still haven't made it down to the new Lake Fort Smith section but I hear it's very nice. Here's a link to the OHTA website- they do a great job of keeping the trail up and promoting it.

OHTA site

After reading the online article I realize that it isn't the same as the print version because it doesn't say anything about the trail not being planned for extension. I'll have to find the print version to see what it says.

Archived