Marshall Fields' fireworks

muchswatch

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Great pics! I was going to go see the fireworks myself, but I'd already driven down to Detroit three times this week, and I didn't feel like making the 60 mile journey. It's probably a good thing I didn't go though, since I didn't need people shooting at me. Nine people were shot at the corner of Woodward and Jefferson last night...a sad time for Detroit, and a major blow to the city's reputation.

Those pictures were incredible! I'd say you could sell those!

On what Allan was saying, this indeed is a very sad time for Detroit. I can't believe some people would be stupid enough to do this. I recently signed on to my aol instant messenger, and it was on the top news story that showed up. Great. Now one of the largest instant messanging services has made everyone aware of this event so that people can IM each other saying. Gee, that D'troit place really sux. Im nevr going T8r.

The CNN news article said it was over an argument, it must have been a shooting rampage between these people considering 9 people were killed. My gosh, look what a great event this violence between a few stupid people wrecked. :angry::(

EDIT: 9 people were not killed, bad fact. Thanks Allan for the correction. I meant to say injured but wasn't thinking.

Actually, eight people were injured, but nobody has died. I'd originally heard that 9 people had been injured by the bullets, but apparently the early reports were incorrect.

From the Free Press:

Eight people were treated at Detroit Receiving Hospital after the Wednesday night shooting: two were in critical condition, three were in stable condition, one was in temporary stable condition and two were treated and released, said hospital spokeswoman Karen Wood. The victims' ages ranged from 18 to the late 40s.

Unfortunately, this happened on the same day that the nation learned that Detroit has lost more people since 2000 than any other large city. So CNN is having fun with two negative stories about the city on the same day.

http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm20415_20040624.htm

Thx you guys. seems my first attempt is not so bad ;)

Allan: I am so sorry to hear that, such a sad news. I guess my mom already knew this news since she uses AOL, and that's why she keeps reminding me not cross the border unless I have to. :blink: but Detroit can't be that dangerous, is it? :(

Anyway, lots of people were from detroit last night to watch the fireworks in Canadian side.

Detroit is not that dangerous. In fact, I regularly walk down the streets downtown alone and have never encountered a problem. There is a high police presence downtown, and the DPD is putting one of their mini stations downtown soon, if it is not already there. Midtown is just as safe, and maybe even safer than downtown with all the new residents moving in.

There are some bad neighborhoods. However, as long as you mind your own business, people won't give you any problems. The only people who end up as murder victims are the ones who are involved with drugs or some other illegal activities. In fact, the bad neighborhoods make up a small portion of the city. The media would like to have you believe that the entire city is run down and crime ridden even though that is not the case at all. I've found Detroiters to be friendly and helpful people who have an intense feeling of pride in their city. One time I was downtown and saw an artist who was painting the Book Tower & Washington Boulevard streetscape. He was eager to tell me all about all the great things happening in the city and how the city was undergoing a revival. I've met similar people all over downtown.

Detroit definately doesn't deserve its "murder city" reputation. It is unfortunate that the city has suffered through some tough times, but the city's bad reputation is going away, albeit slowly.

That is because the downtown is fortified with police. :D

But really, it isn't that bad as some people make Detroit out to be. Let's face it, crime can exist anywhere.

Ann Arbor, Mi may have not had a homicide in three years, but theft is very common. Whenever I walk back to my residence hall late at night, I don't carry much money or valuables on me, becuase I know I may get robbed. The very same could happen in Detroit.

Yeah, AA does have a high theft rate. My dad's apartment got broken into two times when he went to school there. I'd imagine that things haven't changed much since then. Although overall, the city does seem to be very safe.

This shooting could've happened ANYWHERE. All it takes is one person. Unfortunately this just happened to occur in Detroit.

Archived