Obama in GR

fotoman311

I decided to ride by on my way to work this morning. The line stretched all the way from Calder Plaza down Ottawa past Lyon and Pearl, around the acute angled corner at Monroe Center and ended in front of the Dog Pit. I expected a line, but I don't think I expected it to be quite that long. There were still more groups of people walking down looking like they wanted to go as well. I hope they all get in.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Hmm. 3 weeks ago here in "red state" NC, he managed to get 30,000+ people to come to downtown Charlotte on a Sunday afternoon. There were so many people the light rail line was overwhelmed and 1000s didn't get in simply because there was no more room in the secured area. Normally on Sundays, the downtown area is quite silent during this time. Last weekend he pulled down similar sized crowds in fairly conservative Greensboro. This is remarkable in this state which hasn't voted for a Democrat since Jimmy Carter got elected in 1976. He will be in Asheville this weekend, a small mountain town, and I expect that if he speaks he will see similar crowds again.

Someone who didn't get in made a video.

^Hmm. 3 weeks ago here in "red state" NC, he managed to get 30,000+ people to come to downtown Charlotte on a Sunday afternoon. There were so many people the light rail line was overwhelmed and 1000s didn't get in simply because there was no more room in the secured area. Normally on Sundays, the downtown area is quite silent during this time. Last weekend he pulled down similar sized crowds in fairly conservative Greensboro. This is remarkable in this state which hasn't voted for a Democrat since Jimmy Carter got elected in 1976. He will be in Asheville this weekend, a small mountain town, and I expect that if he speaks he will see similar crowds again.

Yes, he's drawing large crowds still. My point is that they've gone from massive to only huge. :)

Here, he filled the 12,000 seat arena last time he visited. Today, without a real capacity limit, I'll bet he's got 5-8k at most in Calder Plaza.

I got in the line starting about at Blake's Turkey Shop at around 9:00. I tried to get there earlier but I couldn't find anywhere to park because every ramp and every lot was full downtown. Ended up parking near Heritage Hill and walking down. But the line moved fast and I was in Calder Plaza by about 9:28 (rally started at about 9:45).

It's hard to say how many people were there, but the crowd basically filled the whole plaza AND stretched out onto the raised planter areas on the North and South ends. There were maybe a dozen McCain protesters in front of the courthouse, and "truth minders" staked out on many of the corners downtown warning people not to go. :)

I took some pictures that I'll try and post later. One thing that was very interesting from the rally, and Obama pointed this out, that there are a TON of young people in Grand Rapids.

Or you can see some shots here:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/story.asp...10&catid=48

Yes, he's drawing large crowds still. My point is that they've gone from massive to only huge. :)

Here, he filled the 12,000 seat arena last time he visited. Today, without a real capacity limit, I'll bet he's got 5-8k at most in Calder Plaza.

I don't like to share my political views and have gone to both candidates rallies...I just like taking pictures.

I got downtown at 7:30am this morning, thinking I'd be early, I was met by a line starting from Calder Plaza and stretching to Ottawa Tavern, where I jumped in. I'm happy I jumped in when I did because the line soon wrapped around the corner and toward Flanagan's.

When I got into the plaza it was easily 200 people deep and filling fast. I was probably 50 yards away and could have pissed a lot of people off by getting closer, but stayed but when I realised I was standing next to Mark and Michelle from Hopcat. Had a great conversation with them for the next hour or so, until Barak showed up. It started getting a little crazy that close (just next to Calder) and I had a 10:30 appointment, who never showed up, so I had to leave. It was quite the maze of people I had to snake through in order to get of there.

53of79.jpg

A good buddy of mine managed to get his hands on some "blue tickets," so we were able to walk right to the front of the line and into the section directly surrounding the stage. We were probably 4 people back from the front. WOW...that was cool. Everybody around me was from Grand Rapids (besides 1 Alaskan), and like GRDad said, there were a LOT of young people. They must have been cramming people in there, because I got closer and closer to my neighbors as it got closer to the start of the speech. By the time Barack came out (2.5 hours later), I couldn't move my hands from my side and my nose was almost touching the back of the extremely tall person in front of me. Still, it was very cool to see all those people downtown (and, of course, the presidential candidate). People in the City, court, and other surrounding buildings were gathered at the windows to see the site. Secret service seemed to be on every rooftop. We collectively yelled at the woman who put up the "Change We Need" sign up crooked, and applauded when she straightened it out. Aside from the few people who fainted from standing too long and the women behind me who kept yelling at me to move my big head (yes it's big, but I was there an hour before they were :D), it was a great time. The sun even came out at the very end of the speech.

Maybe it was trying to tell us something :whistling:

A good buddy of mine managed to get his hands on some "blue tickets," so we were able to walk right to the front of the line and into the section directly surrounding the stage. We were probably 4 people back from the front. WOW...that was cool. Everybody around me was from Grand Rapids (besides 1 Alaskan), and like GRDad said, there were a LOT of young people. They must have been cramming people in there, because I got closer and closer to my neighbors as it got closer to the start of the speech. By the time Barack came out (2.5 hours later), I couldn't move my hands from my side and my nose was almost touching the back of the extremely tall person in front of me. Still, it was very cool to see all those people downtown (and, of course, the presidential candidate). People in the City, court, and other surrounding buildings were gathered at the windows to see the site. Secret service seemed to be on every rooftop. We collectively yelled at the woman who put up the "Change We Need" sign up crooked, and applauded when she straightened it out. Aside from the few people who fainted from standing too long and the women behind me who kept yelling at me to move my big head (yes it's big, but I was there an hour before they were :D), it was a great time. The sun even came out at the very end of the speech.

Maybe it was trying to tell us something :whistling:

Archived