Urban Cycling in Alabama

Southron

Urban bicycle usage (as an adult)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a bicycle?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you use a bicycle for transportation or recreation?

• Transportation only
    • Recreation/exercise only
    • Transportation and recreation/exercise
    • Never ride a bike
  3. 3. Would you commute to work by bicycle?

• I commute by bicycle regularly
    • I occasionally commute to work by bicycle
    • I would consider bicycle commuting
    • I would never commute by bicycle
  4. 4. Would you do shopping or run errands on a bicycle?

• I regularly do shopping or run errands using a bicycle
    • I occasionally do shopping or run errands using a bicycle
    • I would consider shopping or running errands using a bicycle
    • I would never do shopping or run errands using a bicycle

The bicycle business is booming across America as fuel costs have skyrocketed. More and more people are commuting to work and running errands on their bikes to save money and in some cases to save the planet. I've noticed an increase in bicycle commuters in downtown Montgomery recently.

Unfortunately, Alabama is not currently a bicycle-friendly state. A new annual state ranking from the League of American Bicyclists lists Alabama at number 48, sandwiched between Mississippi and Georgia.

Does anyone use a bicycle for more than just recreation? Do you agree with the listing of Alabama as a bicycle-unfriendly state? Do you have any advice for those who may wish to begin bicycle commuting or using their bike for general transportation? Are there projects planned or underway that would make your city more bicycle friendly? What are your thoughts on the use of bicycles in urban areas?

Wired: Bike Industry Boom

Bicycle friendly states ranking

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe no one posted this... the day before Southron posted this topic, the city of Huntsville and several bike clubs held a news conference announcing that they were forming a committee that will oversee efforts for new greenways and bike lanes, plus discuss other bike-related topics. In the meantime, the city is now posting "Share the Road" signs along major bike routes. There are also plans to put bike racks throughout downtown and Five Points, and a map is being made that will show the city's 158 miles of "designated bike routes." So at least Huntsville's heading in the right direction on this, but it came at a price... a 20-year-old UAH student was struck and killed by an SUV (driver of course was on their cell phone) while riding her bike through Research Park last month.

Huntsville Times article: Push on to make city safe for bikes

I can't believe no one posted this... the day before Southron posted this topic, the city of Huntsville and several bike clubs held a news conference announcing that they were forming a committee that will oversee efforts for new greenways and bike lanes, plus discuss other bike-related topics. In the meantime, the city is now posting "Share the Road" signs along major bike routes. There are also plans to put bike racks throughout downtown and Five Points, and a map is being made that will show the city's 158 miles of "designated bike routes." So at least Huntsville's heading in the right direction on this, but it came at a price... a 20-year-old UAH student was struck and killed by an SUV (driver of course was on their cell phone) while riding her bike through Research Park last month.

Huntsville Times article: Push on to make city safe for bikes

^Interesting news, I didn't know that Mayor Spencer lost yesterday. Thanks for the info, jmanhsv. Good to see an Alabama public official take a stand the way Mayor-elect Battle did on his website:

Bike paths that double as walking paths could also play a significant role in enticing people to park their cars, get some exercise, and reduce their carbon imprint. New road construction and developments should be required to incorporate bike lanes and pedestrian trails that will ultimately allow non-motorists to safely navigate the city.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ Good to see Huntsville taking those progressive steps.

I don't think there is a single bike lane marked anywhere in Montgomery, and practically no bike racks for parking. I've seen small racks next to the police bike bureau and at the Riverwalk, but that's it. Mobile started a public art rack program several years ago, and racks designed by artists are scattered through the downtown area. Every parking deck should have at least one decent-sized rack, and there should be some strategically located along the sidewalks as well.

I wonder what the bike facility situation is like in our other cities.

Auburn was previously awarded a bronze designation as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists. Auburn University is planning to become more bicycle friendly as well, with plans for new bike paths, standardized bike racks near major buildings, a bicycle-repair shop in the new student center, new safety programs, bike racks on campus buses and possibly implementing a bike loaner program (as the city of Auburn has already done). AU campus bike lanes will connect to city bike lanes at several points to give riders safer and more convenient travel routes around town.

Leaders in Auburn and Huntsville get it. We've got to get ALDOT and many more city leaders to see the light and fund bicycle and pedestrian-oriented infrastructure.

Auburn University to become more bicycle friendly

AU cycling web page: AUBike - Bicycles on Campus

City cycling web page: Bicycle Auburn

• 1 month later...

A pedicab service, Magicity Pedicabs, is being planned for downtown Birmingham and Southside. An entrepreneur has one pedicab ready to put in service and plans to add several more.

Are there other pedicab companies in Alabama? I wouldn't be surprised if Huntsville already has one up and running.

Birmingham entrepreneur wants to launch a pedicab service in downtown and Southside

Archived