Stamford in Good Position During Tough Economy?

Stamford seems to be pretty well-positioned in this tough economy, at least in terms of new projects becoming approved and starting construction. In today's Stamford Advocate, there is an article regarding the "Metro Center" office tower and apartments--across from, and directly adjacent to, the train station downtown.

The Metro Center Tower was approved by the zoning board last night, and will be an office tower of 17 stories, and will be a fully "green" tower downtown. Also, condos/apartments are now under construction on the once-empty lot south of the train station garage.

In addition to these 2 projects, the south end project is in full swing, with a 6 or 8 story hotel under construction now as well. Other aspects of the south end redevelopment are also coming into development and lots have been cleared and roped off with "Harbor Pointe" signs everywhere.

Currently under construction downtown is the RBS Tower @ 10 stories, the Highgrove luxury tower to be 17-18 stories, and the Trump Tower, topped off now and the tallest building in Stamford @ 35 stories.

One negative is that the Ritz-Carlton luxury condo and hotel towers project, slated to be 2 "400 foot" towers, is on hold until 2009. We'll see if it still gets built--I certainly hope so.

This is all outstanding development for any city to be proud of and thankful for. In this economy, I think Stamford is in a select group of few cities that are still going strong and moving projects forward.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while I agree, the problem lies in the next 2 years. right now there are bricks and steel and glass flying, and the cities coffers might be ok, but Stamford is also greatly tied to the markets, and I am afraid that many Stamford people have lost their jobs all ready, and more will follow.

in a recent article several Fairfield Cty towns were listed as the most likely to be hardest hit by this whole thing. 3 of the top 10 in the country!

so, we will see, because I tend to think that super alpha Lehman brokers dont sit on unemployment lines, they find new jobs, or form a start up.

who is going to fill all that office space?

while I agree, the problem lies in the next 2 years. right now there are bricks and steel and glass flying, and the cities coffers might be ok, but Stamford is also greatly tied to the markets, and I am afraid that many Stamford people have lost their jobs all ready, and more will follow.

in a recent article several Fairfield Cty towns were listed as the most likely to be hardest hit by this whole thing. 3 of the top 10 in the country!

so, we will see, because I tend to think that super alpha Lehman brokers dont sit on unemployment lines, they find new jobs, or form a start up.

who is going to fill all that office space?

Archived