Where to get a beer in Greenville?

Sparkleman

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Smiley's is on Augusta street, in the same building as the mellow mushroom (Near where Main and Augusta intersect).

Meatheads is on Main, near the Mast General Store, it's located underground.

But the best place to get a beer in GVL is Barley's. They are up to around 80 taps, all Micro-brews or odd imports.

Yea - it's where the BBQ place used to be, at the other end of the same strip as the "Life is Good Neighborhood Shoppe."

I'll put in another vote for Barley's for both the beer and pziza, but I understand City Tavern (ugly green facade building on North Main) has a mean Philly Steak sandwich, too...as well as decent beer selection. Blue Ridge Brewry has it's own brews...and brew-based mustard and ketchup and beer-battered fries ... and they go well with the yummy sammiches. Can you tell that I feel the food is just as important as the beer?

• 6 months later...

Some of us were chatting last night about different beers and microbrews. The idea of an annual downtown Microbrew Festival came up. I went to one a few years back in Roanoke....good event. I could see a Microbrew Fest around a couple of blocks of Main.....maybe Barley's as a sponsor? :dontknow: How do you guys think one could be started in Greenville? The interest definitely appears to be here.

Great idea, gsupstate! :shades:

I'd say you need to form a solid concept first, then get as many proprietors of good regional drinking establishments on board as possible. I would definitely talk with the City about the idea after the concept is complete and enough potential vendors are on board. If the feedback is positive and accepted by the City, the serious planning would commence in preparation for the inaugural event. That's just how I would try to get one going, but there are probably many other ways to do it.

Is there any way such a festival could be formed in conjunction with a larger Oktoberfest?

Some of us were chatting last night about different beers and microbrews. The idea of an annual downtown Microbrew Festival came up. I went to one a few years back in Roanoke....good event. I could see a Microbrew Fest around a couple of blocks of Main.....maybe Barley's as a sponsor? :dontknow: How do you guys think one could be started in Greenville? The interest definitely appears to be here.

Great idea Skyliner....an Oktoberfest would be an excellent host for a Microbrew Fest. Perfect time of year.

When we were chatting last night, we thought about maybe it being an add on to Fall for Greenville, an area inside the event, but with the big guys Bud and Coors as sponsors, I doubt they want microbrews in the picture.

IMO, something at least taking in major micro's from the Southeast, but would be great if nationwide brands were represented. Other than Thomas Creek and Blue Ridge, I don't know of any local micros. :dontknow:

I'd like to see it as a whole festival that celebrates beer.....from the various microbrews, to instructional demos on beer tasting, brewing, drinking tips, food demos of foods that go well with certain beers, history of beer, etc. All things beer! Kinda of a beer tips 101 class.

I'd like a microbrew fest that elevates beer to the level of wine.

Music, fun, and lots of beer.

I really think it could fly here.

Awesome idea!

We have very few breweries in the upstate, but RJ Rockers in Spartanburg is another.

Has anyone been to Asheville's Brewgrass festival?

This is a fantastic microbrew fest. In a nutshell: there are a lot of regional and national micrbreweries, each sets up a tent and serves their beers. Food vendors are available too and there is a stage with 3-4 bluegrass bands playing all day. You pay $30 and get a 5 oz sampler glass when you enter (very nice)...you just walk around and sample all the beers you like. Its phenomonal.

This event is held at the end of september every year and it sold out in less than 6 weeks in March this year! unreal.

There is a whole beer festival circuit where similar events take place across the country all year long. It would not be difficult to get breweries on board.

No macrobreweries need or should be involved. Their business practices(especially Anheuser-Busch) are insidious and predatory. I guarantee if they were brought on board they would immediately exert control over the entire event. No beuno.

I can picture it now 'The Upstate BrewFest.' This would be great for Greenville!!!

Awesome idea!

We have very few breweries in the upstate, but RJ Rockers in Spartanburg is another.

Has anyone been to Asheville's Brewgrass festival?

This is a fantastic microbrew fest. In a nutshell: there are a lot of regional and national micrbreweries, each sets up a tent and serves their beers. Food vendors are available too and there is a stage with 3-4 bluegrass bands playing all day. You pay $30 and get a 5 oz sampler glass when you enter (very nice)...you just walk around and sample all the beers you like. Its phenomonal.

This event is held at the end of september every year and it sold out in less than 6 weeks in March this year! unreal.

There is a whole beer festival circuit where similar events take place across the country all year long. It would not be difficult to get breweries on board.

No macrobreweries need or should be involved. Their business practices(especially Anheuser-Busch) are insidious and predatory. I guarantee if they were brought on board they would immediately exert control over the entire event. No beuno.

I can picture it now 'The Upstate BrewFest.' This would be great for Greenville!!!

Archived