GM to close stamping plant in Wyoming

francishsu

...While I'm at it, I'm still waiting to see the "Pure Michigan" ad that focuses on GR on TV. I have seen several others (Henry Ford Village, Detroit, lakes/streams, etc.), but no GR. Actually, I think they need to do a "West Coast" of Michigan ad and really show off the beaches, dunes, and Lake Michigan (e.g., show all the people at the beach and in the water at Grand Haven on a warm day with the red lighthouse in the background, show people sliding, rolling, leaping down the dunes at Hoffmaster). The other ads just show glances of those features and most people who haven't been in that part of Michigan have no idea how glorious it all is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RptTZjUS14

Also, this is out on a radio ad.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be a long road towards redeveloping this site, but that has nothing to do with being "alive" or "dead". There are large vacant former industrial parcels in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. They are just very hard to market due to their size, locations near freeways and rail lines (great for manufacturing, annoying for everyone else), and envrionmental hazards.

You're right. I was just noting the irony of the two images (youtube video and big empty lot) side by side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RptTZjUS14

Also, this is out on a radio ad.

Thanks. I'm still waiting to catch either/both on TV ( I think I see most of them on HGTV, but they may also show on other cable stations). I'd still like to see a summertime ad touting the beaches of and grand views along Lake Michigan, but I guess I'd have to be in charge, and I'm not!

Thanks. I'm still waiting to catch either/both on TV ( I think I see most of them on HGTV, but they may also show on other cable stations). I'd still like to see a summertime ad touting the beaches of and grand views along Lake Michigan, but I guess I'd have to be in charge, and I'm not!

Suggest it to the MEDC. (Skip past the Facebook blogger, who is manifestly a student intern who did not do well in geography, history, or English.)

Every time I see a suit-person in a Meijer, I ask them to stock Pure Michigan-type product. Every C-store in Texas has state T-shirts and other stuff. Selling themed apparel would seem to be a win-win.

It will be a long road towards redeveloping this site, but that has nothing to do with being "alive" or "dead". There are large vacant former industrial parcels in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. They are just very hard to market due to their size, locations near freeways and rail lines (great for manufacturing, annoying for everyone else), and envrionmental hazards.

The closure had a significant impact on the health 'thermometer' of the community which still reverberates and can't be easily dismissed. This was a large employer who paid very good wages & benefits plus generated a tremendous amount of tax revenues. While cities confront this nationwide, it particularly hurts smaller cities like GR due to its disproportionate impact just as it benefited the area during its heyday. Get a company to replace GM with similar scope and watch everyone come out of the woodwork saying GR is alive and kickin.

The closure had a significant impact on the health 'thermometer' of the community which still reverberates and can't be easily dismissed. This was a large employer who paid very good wages & benefits plus generated a tremendous amount of tax revenues. While cities confront this nationwide, it particularly hurts smaller cities like GR due to its disproportionate impact just as it benefited the area during its heyday. Get a company to replace GM with similar scope and watch everyone come out of the woodwork saying GR is alive and kickin.

People are already saying that. Didn't you see the lipdub?

• 2 years later...

Archived