Village Corner - what is going on?

wolverine

So we've talked a lot about the 601 Forest project that may rise on this site, but rarely the business that is currently there.

Village Corner has been a staple to the campus areas as a quick place to pick up groceries, fresh produce, and of course, the finest wine selection in Ann Arbor. It's the type of business all towns want even though VC maintains a grungy-like appearance, it's convenient for students and nearby residents to get their basic needs. Without it, students may have more difficulties accessing fresh food...one that they could walk to. While they could go to Kerrytown, it's a bit of a walk, and they do not maintain late night hours. I would hope that there would be an adequate replacement if the city does approve a new tower. I have heard nothing about VC's intentions of moving back into the ground floor of the building, but I do know it would be a huge loss without them.

It seems tragedy has already struck. I needed to pick up some snacks and was greeted with a bunch of empty shelves behind the counter. For a moment I thought, "it's okay, the liquor has been moved elsewhere temporarily for cleaning or something, but more clues became visible when I saw the beer coolers were taped shut, and the wine area was roped off. As I went to pay for my non-alcoholic beverage of pepsi, I saw signs that said "Yeah, we know, don't even ask....really we can't sell you any alcohol, why would we lie to you."

I hope to hear some clarification, and that my assumptions are wrong. Regardless though, they aren't selling any alcohol, and I'd imagine it is a big part of their sales, so I do hope they'll make it being just a grocery store for now. Still, very disappointing.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So we've talked a lot about the 601 Forest project that may rise on this site, but rarely the business that is currently there.

Village Corner has been a staple to the campus areas as a quick place to pick up groceries, fresh produce, and of course, the finest wine selection in Ann Arbor. It's the type of business all towns want even though VC maintains a grungy-like appearance, it's convenient for students and nearby residents to get their basic needs. Without it, students may have more difficulties accessing fresh food...one that they could walk to. While they could go to Kerrytown, it's a bit of a walk, and they do not maintain late night hours. I would hope that there would be an adequate replacement if the city does approve a new tower. I have heard nothing about VC's intentions of moving back into the ground floor of the building, but I do know it would be a huge loss without them.

It seems tragedy has already struck. I needed to pick up some snacks and was greeted with a bunch of empty shelves behind the counter. For a moment I thought, "it's okay, the liquor has been moved elsewhere temporarily for cleaning or something, but more clues became visible when I saw the beer coolers were taped shut, and the wine area was roped off. As I went to pay for my non-alcoholic beverage of pepsi, I saw signs that said "Yeah, we know, don't even ask....really we can't sell you any alcohol, why would we lie to you."

I hope to hear some clarification, and that my assumptions are wrong. Regardless though, they aren't selling any alcohol, and I'd imagine it is a big part of their sales, so I do hope they'll make it being just a grocery store for now. Still, very disappointing.

Archived