Big project(s) coming for downtown?

GRDadof3

It seems odd on the eve of a huge layoff at GM and crumbling credit markets that this would come up again, but Chris Knape is also hearing rumors about a big project coming for downtown:

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/2008/10..._rumors_ar.html

So who could do a development downtown and not have to worry very much about credit? Oh, I don't know. At least a dozen people in Grand Rapids. :) God knows we certainly could use some good news.

Funny thing too is that Chris is usually the most skeptical of all this rumor-mongering.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see anyone doing any residential or office in this environment. Not too many retailers are looking to expand. It's nearly impossible to finance a hotel right now. What's left? Could it be the local corporate move we've all been hoping for? Besides something institutional like the Performing Arts Center it's the only thing that makes sense IMHO...

My guess is: either the transit project, or the City moving the Development Center (1120 N Monroe) to the NAPA building, and also shutting down the establishment located across the street.

And the U-M student tour guides will all respond "huh? where's that?"

Could this be a project that involves the Rowe Hotel??? I would think that to host a conference like the UM-ULI, they would like to have all eyesores either removed, rehabbed, or (in the case of the Rowe) ready for proposal. I hope that it is this building. That Michigan/Monroe corner needs help.

No they'd rather stay in the GLIAC and brag about their long unbeaten streak over schools like Tiffin and Lewis. Come on folks, a school with a student body of 20,000+ playing schools with 5-6000. The Press just gushes about how great they are, give me a break, they need to play some schools of similar size. (Think this touched a nerve :whistling: )

How about light rail instead of BRT down South Division? How about a Meijer at the SE corner of Wealthy and Division? How about an Amway urban "campus" at Market & Fulton?

Whatever it is, I think it's going to be something we haven't heard before.

Archived