Michigan roads rank third worst in U.S.

Allan

a024-roads2-0604y.jpg

Road crews resurface eastbound I-96 near Evergreen. Older roads and highways, the freeze-thaw cycle and the pounding of traffic contribute to Michigan's rough roads.

Michigan roads rank third worst in U.S.

Some 30 percent of state's roadways are in rough shape, analysis of federal data finds

By Eric Morath / The Detroit News

Shake, rattle and roll may be Michigan

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I-94 is possibly the worst, and I-96 was like a mine field. It has been improved since the last time I was through there though. I-75 is always bad...they only fix one section per year, and by the time they finish repairing all the sections they have to start all over again. I-696 is in good shape, probably the best freeway in the metro area since they just finished redoing the whole thing a few years back. Maybe the state police should consider enforcing the speed limit. The income from tickets would help pay to maintain the roads.

The problem is that Michigan is a so-called "donor state," that is, it pays more money to the federal government than it gets back in federal highway funds. I believe that Michigan ranks 49/50 for the least amount of money received from the federal government per dollar the state pays in federal highway taxes. For every dollar the state pays to the government, the state gets back about $.90. The other $.10 goes to funding road projects in other states. :angry:

Archived