Downtown ballpark proposed by Rockford Construction

GRobserver

downtown ballparks are all the rage, and for reason. yes, there isnt much to do with it during the winter, but hell, i mean most sports venues arnt used more then 100 times a year... so, thats sort of mute. a downtown ballpark would help the surrounding area more then you could imagine, and they also look very good in town. if a downtown ballpark was proposed, id vote for it in a heartbeat. it would help the city so much more then people imagine.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
downtown ballparks are all the rage, and for reason. yes, there isnt much to do with it during the winter, but hell, i mean most sports venues arnt used more then 100 times a year... so, thats sort of mute. a downtown ballpark would help the surrounding area more then you could imagine, and they also look very good in town. if a downtown ballpark was proposed, id vote for it in a heartbeat. it would help the city so much more then people imagine.

I love the idea of bringing the Whitecaps to DT as it would further build on what the VAA and Devos Place has already done to DT. My only questions is what about 5/3 park? Being that existing ball park is not that old and would be a shame to waste, I hope there would be plans to repurpose 5/3 for other uses if a new ball park were to be built in DT.

To reiterate:

What are you going to do with it in the winter?

Don't we have a big enough parking problem as it is?

Lights and noise will thrill the neighbors, I'm sure.

Traffic will be a nightmare.

This is short-sighted, just as the mini Indy 500 was. Only this one's worse because it would actually permanently take up space.

Mr. Wheeler should consider putting a ballpark near his home in Rockford and stop messing up downtown GR.

i dont remember monroe mall, ive only lived in GR since august. but no, baseball cant be played at Van Andel. its waaaaaayyy too small. maybe whiffle ball.

maybe its because im a baseball romantic, but all the old great ballparks were in downtowns, it was just a part of downtown. suburban ballparks are boring and unperson able. one of the best things about comerica park in detroit is looking out over the skyline in the outfield. same with toledos newer ballpark (also called 5/3 ballpark).. downtown parks are just amazing. thats my opinion, anyways. people who dont love sports never understand the need for new parks(on the flip side, sports enthusiasts maybe are too finicky about the arenas and their needs).. but if minor league baseball is going to continue to be present in grand rapids, a new downtown ballpark is going to be needed within 10 years.

I thought that parking lot, directly south, was being saved for an expansion of the arena? The Van Andel arena is basically not fully finished, correct?

Also, wouldn't it be very costly to build a year-round baseball stadium (a 300+ million dollar facility like the arena)? Plus, wouldn't that defeat the point of an outdoor amphitheater if it's covered? Concert goers should just go to the arena then.

He should have suggested buildng a multipurpose football field for all the colleges and Rampage football IMO. I'd think that would bring in more tickets sales with GVSU and Rampage playing there.

i dont remember monroe mall, ive only lived in GR since august. but no, baseball cant be played at Van Andel. its waaaaaayyy too small. maybe whiffle ball.

maybe its because im a baseball romantic, but all the old great ballparks were in downtowns, it was just a part of downtown. suburban ballparks are boring and unperson able. one of the best things about comerica park in detroit is looking out over the skyline in the outfield. same with toledos newer ballpark (also called 5/3 ballpark).. downtown parks are just amazing. thats my opinion, anyways. people who dont love sports never understand the need for new parks(on the flip side, sports enthusiasts maybe are too finicky about the arenas and their needs).. but if minor league baseball is going to continue to be present in grand rapids, a new downtown ballpark is going to be needed within 10 years.

The Toledo version of 5/3 park is considered one of if not the best minor league ballpark in the country. I really wish this would have been done fifteen years ago. As it stands..... a AA team would be great here. Some of the best of the best in terms of prospects bypass AAA and go straight to the majors. If you're a baseball snob like I am, a low level single a team just isn't that appealing.

Lansing's stadium is awesome. Problem is.... what do you do before and after the game? Picture said 10,000 seat stadium with 70 home dates a year in downtown Grand Rapids and you a lot of folks with a 70+ reasons to have a great night on the town rather than driving up 131 to a spot in the middle of nowhere to the current 5/3 ballpark.

And what to be done with the current home of the whitecaps? Good question but the stadium should have been built downtown in the first place. Belknap Park might have been another good place to build it but that would disrupt the ambiance of that neighborhood.

In the article they mention Oklahoma City's new baseball stadium (Bricktown Ballpark). It's pretty interesting. It was built in an old industrial area, which is now an entertainment district, and they built a canal through the district with water taxis:

18921420240.jpg

The canal connects everything together, including a movie theater and a Bass Pro Shops:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

canal.jpg

listen, i know its not the exact same thing, but when houston was granted an expansion franchise in the 60s, they moved into a small and temporary ballpark in the middle of a massive parking lot. the colt 45s. anyways, they played at the old ballpark for 3 years while the astrodome was built. they moved into the astrodome, renamed the team, and used the old ballpark for workouts and storage for astroworld next door. they then sold the old ballpark in the 70s to a mexican league team in mexico and the ballpark was taken apart and shipped to mexico, where they rebuilt it and is still is use. now, 5/3 park isnt the same kind, but you could very well sell much of that ballpark or reuse parts of it in the new one. not all, but some.

Omaha is another city that is moving their baseball stadium downtown in order to build an updated 24,000 stadium that is near the hotels and other attractions that have sprung up around their relatively new arena/convention center. It will house the AAA Omaha Royals and also be built to host other events.

It also is going to be built on part of a giant sea of parking lots with a couple of blocks of the arena/convention center. It will be right near two brand new hotels and near a new development that includes a twin independent film cinema, Saddle Creek Records (indie rock) HQ, a good size bar and grill, another bar, and an Urban Outfitters, along with a few other retailers and a number of apartments. It will be within blocks of the ever expanding Creighton University campus, and a 10 minute walk from the eastern end of downtown's most vibrant retail/restaurant area, the Old Market.

The cost for this 24,000 seat stadium is $140 million. It seems like a more modestly sized 10-12,000 seat, high quality stadium/ampitheater hybrid could be built for around $75 million, the approximate cost of Van Andel Arena.

More info:

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index...upload_id=10185

http://www.hoksport.com/news/080804_cws.html

Unfortunately, the Omaha newspaper's website does not appear to keep articles older than 7 days easily available on their website.

Edit: I was mistaken...here is an Omaha World Herald article, including a map: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798...;u_sid=10298622

2914186060_bbb4660911_b.jpg

Oldsmobile Park, completed in 1996 cost $12.7 million. It has just over 11,000 seats and 26 suites. It is partly responsible for the renewed interest in Lansing's downtown, even if it did take years for things to turn around.

yes, but even by todays standards, olds park is dated... its a great park, but is very similar to 5/3 park, minus the setting (downtown) and the way the playing field is set (below ground, which makes for some quirky dimensions in the outfield, especially the corners)...

dow diamond in midland is an absolute GEM of a park. it was amazing.

I think the idea of a DT ballpark is amazing! Here in Seattle they have Qwest (NFL) and Safeco (MLB) right next to each other on the south side of town. Granted Seattle is much larger, but I've not ever had problems getting to the games or finding parking. Its created a whole new district in the city that used to be old warehouses (a common theme it appears) but its worked out great, especially with the amazing Pyramid Brewery right across the street from Safeco.

I don't think parking DT Grand Rapids would be an issue. I've never had problems finding a parking spot in GR now. Plus whats walking 2-3 blocks to the stadium DT? I mean, if you're in the back at 5/3 its approx the same walking distance.

Some here are concerned with an empty ballpark in the winter but isnt that when the Van Andel picks up the pace with the Rampage and Griffins? I think the two would complement each other well. Plus I'd argue that I bet the overall dates used by the Van Andel and a DT stadium for the Whitecaps would have approx the same amount of events during a given year.

People must keep in mind the demographics of fans to these minor league parks. A great deal of them are simply families looking for a fun day or night out and much less the actual game. In this case, an urban location is a positive addition to the experience these fans are seeking. Most of these folks don't care about the dimensions of the park, and such. It'd be nice to see the park moved, downtown, particularly to land that's not being utilized for much else. It needs to be thought of and considered as another piece of the puzzle, as opposed to the entire puzzle, itself. I think Oldsmobile Park is probably one of the better examples of the positive effect an urban minor league ballpark can have, regardless of its age. If Oldsmobile is to be portrayed as little more than a hole in the ground, well, it's one of the best little holes in the ground I've ever come across. If done right, a downtown 5/3rd could be an even better hole in the ground.

This is the Area 4/5 lots that border Ionia and the S-curve, not the lot directly behind the arena. Where the movie theater complex was planned.

Similar baseball stadiums in downtowns cost about $30 Million, not $300 Million. The VAA was $75 Million to build 12 years ago, but a baseball stadium is generally less expensive.

It's not going to be covered.

And budgie, how does having people downtown, noise and lights RUIN downtown. That's what it NEEDS. You live way over in Union Square. What do you care about traffic?

In Denver, some people pay a premium to live near the ballpark (near the Lower Downtown area). For that matter, the "Ballpark" neighborhood is one of the up and coming neighborhoods in/near downtown Denver. Condos and apartments springing up all over. Granted, Denver has a much more extensive transit system (bus and LRT) than GR, so many people do avoid driving and parking and auto traffic is less as a result, but still, plenty do drive and park, but some park several blocks away and walk, others pay through the nose to park near Coors Field, but at least the parking lot owners (of all sizes) are making a few extra bucks. Then there are the employees who either play hooky for afternoon games or hang around after work for evening games, so they don't add to street traffic. All in all, the existence of the Rockies and their downtown field has been a boon to redevelopment for bars, restaurants, other retailers and the housing market. Major traffic hassles seem to be rare, except maybe right after a close game ends. Actually, last month I was driving around downtown right after a major 5K run/walk downtown and just before both the Rockies and the Broncos were to play (at Mile High, just across I-25 from downtown and accessible by foot if you don't mind walking). While there were lots of pedestrians all over, I had no problem driving through the heart of LoDo near Coors Field.

I've never heard any mention of the noise factor on those living near the ballpark, but then many of those chose to live in that neighborhood with the ballpark already there.

yes, but even by todays standards, olds park is dated... its a great park, but is very similar to 5/3 park, minus the setting (downtown) and the way the playing field is set (below ground, which makes for some quirky dimensions in the outfield, especially the corners)...

Archived