Downtown ballpark proposed by Rockford Construction

GRobserver

Of course the city is for me. Caledonia is quite beautiful, but I do like being close enough to walk.

I think if there was to be a ballpark, it should be located more south... or even, how about, northwest? The northwest side sure could use a boost. The traffic around GVSU isn't so bad. Or, maybe, right around John Ball Zoo.

Have you guys gone to school at Cooley or Aveda? Really, parking is a problem, and it will only get worse as these schools increase their enrollment. Leave the parking alone.

(Hmmm. It does seem as though it is mostly, if not all, males who are so hot about this.)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen 2-3 projects on the west side end up dead in the water now purely based on NIMBYism... projects that would give that area a boost. I recently moved FROM that area and am glad that I did.

Parking IS NOT a problem downtown. The problem is people are unwilling to walk a few extra blocks. Sure directly around Aveda and Cooley may be a problem, but go more towards downtown, across Fulton *gasp* and theres plenty of parking structures not even half full during business hours, let alone on the WEEKEND and NIGHT when most games would be played...

Creating an arena district with a stadium behind VAA would be great, especially since it would only be replacing a sea of parking that is there currently.

Of course the city is for me. Caledonia is quite beautiful, but I do like being close enough to walk.

I think if there was to be a ballpark, it should be located more south... or even, how about, northwest? The northwest side sure could use a boost. The traffic around GVSU isn't so bad. Or, maybe, right around John Ball Zoo.

Have you guys gone to school at Cooley or Aveda? Really, parking is a problem, and it will only get worse as these schools increase their enrollment. Leave the parking alone.

(Hmmm. It does seem as though it is mostly, if not all, males who are so hot about this.)

Downtown should be a playground. There should be many different happenings to engage people. You know that.

Parking can't be the carrot at the end of the stick. Won't you consider helping change things? Why not help by becoming active in our Transit Task Force? We are always looking for folks to help lobby and provide support on upcoming projects.

I know nothing about a Transit Task Force. That is awesome. Is there a thread about it on UP? I'd love to learn more.

I know a couple of married Cooley students who rode their bicycles to school. I thought that was absolutely fabulous. I'm surprised that you guys get strange looks. Is it the tandem?

I know nothing about a Transit Task Force. That is awesome. Is there a thread about it on UP? I'd love to learn more.

I know a couple of married Cooley students who rode their bicycles to school. I thought that was absolutely fabulous. I'm surprised that you guys get strange looks. Is it the tandem?

About 90% of the people who post on UP are guys. What's that got to do with anything? I really can't stand baseball, yet I think a new stadium downtown would be great.

And ALL those parking lots South of downtown need to go. The sooner the better. They are using up precious and very valuable land downtown to store cars all day. Now THAT is a waste way moreso than an empty baseball stadium in the winter.

What is more of a waste of space than a parking lot? And why would they move from Comstock Park to the area by the zoo? The whole point is to move downtown! The stadium should have been built DT 15 years ago, but everyone fought Chamberlain and Baxter every step of the way. What development has CP seen from 5/3? None, because suburban venues blow. "Can't they play baseball at the VanAndel?" Are you serious? Have you ever been inside Van Andel or a baseball stadium? The only thing I don't want this to do is take away from a true amphitheater for concerts being built. Ballparks suck for concerts.

I have always loved the idea of a downtown ballpark, but I think having it behind the vaa would be pretty catastrophic...

Every single person in here knows, or at least should realize, that the number one complaint will be (whether you like to hear it or not) parking.

There would have to be some monstorous parking garage built somewhere NEAR the facility. I think we need to understand that not everybody will want to ride a bus down there - some would just rather walk across the street to get there...now if we already had the streetcar system in place, that would be a whole different story.

I think the ballpark would be better situated over by the Y where the giant parking lots are - you'd have plenty of room for parking - and if GVSU wants to have their games there - they can use their parking lots at the school along with that - or even share it during Whitecaps games and share the parking profits. And with all that room around there - imagine all the west side development that could take place!

The only down side to that will be the NIMBY's living on the west side who will take an issue with noise and bright lights and noise and what have you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe we should look at different places beyond area 4/5 that would be better situated for a downtown ballpark.

Frankly I think with the BRT line coming rather soon I would see no reason not to start the planning of the Ball Park down there. Why not, the worst that could come of it is that it pays somebody to do some work aka local firms, and then we get some interest into. I would still like to see a nice looking parking structure that could help support both venues for those that live to far away from the BRT line. You do have to remember that the BRT is going to end at the current Bus Depot and if I am not mistaken also have a station near the Van Andel.

I have been to olds park and there are obviously some misconceptions about it from some people on here. Although its only 2 years older than 5/3 it is a much nicer park, Better looking, better location, and slightly bigger. Although it was twice as expensive but yet only $12 million, there has to be more of an economic boost to the area than 5/3 and welll worth the extra $6 mil with the resturants / bars in walking distance from the park. I believe that the parking is hardly an issue since there is a ramp for the convention center accrosss the street. Its not the perfect place but, and one drawback is due to the fact that its placed between 2 narrow city blocks which couse for narrow dimensions. There are also plans for new condos in the outfield which I think is a neat idea.

But other than that, it looks that it was made to last a lot longer than 5/3 (i mean the green shingles, cheap beige sidding, no view). As someone else mentioned, espeacially in the minor league level, the games are less serious and more entertainment oriented than a major league and I think a new downtown park would do wonders. How about using the city own lot area south of the S-curve?

I have been to olds park and there are obviously some misconceptions about it from some people on here. Although its only 2 years older than 5/3 it is a much nicer park, Better looking, better location, and slightly bigger. Although it was twice as expensive but yet only $12 million, there has to be more of an economic boost to the area than 5/3 and welll worth the extra $6 mil with the resturants / bars in walking distance from the park. I believe that the parking is hardly an issue since there is a ramp for the convention center accrosss the street. Its not the perfect place but, and one drawback is due to the fact that its placed between 2 narrow city blocks which couse for narrow dimensions. There are also plans for new condos in the outfield which I think is a neat idea.

But other than that, it looks that it was made to last a lot longer than 5/3 (i mean the green shingles, cheap beige sidding, no view). As someone else mentioned, espeacially in the minor league level, the games are less serious and more entertainment oriented than a major league and I think a new downtown park would do wonders. How about using the city own lot area south of the S-curve?

Sorry tamias, but you've gone way outside the borders of Lots 4 and 5. And I don't think there'd be a snowball's chance in hell that the city would vacate Oakes St through there.

I don't like the idea of the ballpark over by the Y. Ionia Ave needs some more critical mass to keep it sustainable. As far as parking goes, why not run the DASH system during game days/nights. People could park over by the Y and walk or take the DASH to the ballpark.

From an economic development stand point, that area behind the Van Andel seems to make the most sense. It is also probably one of the few areas where a new stadium could be constructed without a lot of properties having to be acquired and only one road removed.

Other possible areas could be...

-Wealthy/Market/Grandville

-Franklin/Division

-Wealthy/Straight/Front area

-Seward/Stocking/Bridge/2nd

-Highland Park

-Leonard/Plainfield/Monroe

That is probably as far out as you would want it to go if you wanted to be considered "downtown". Each one of those areas would pose their own problems and limitations as well. Removal of roads would be necessary in almost every instance. I also assumed that the old dump would not be able to structurally handle a baseball stadium, otherwise that would be the most logical location. Any other location close to downtown would most likely require the acquistion and demolition of several neighborhoods. Which is probably unlikely to happen since many of these homes are still occupied and in okay shape.

Obviously, had they decided to just build it downtown to begin with, they would have had a lot more options since at that point many of the new developments and redevelopments had not yet occurred.

Archived