Downtown ballpark proposed by Rockford Construction

GRobserver

tamias, as witulski did, take a look at Oldsmobile Park's dimensions. I think it might fit. And Oakes could possibly be vacated, since Cherry and Fulton provide East/West connectivity. But I don't think the arena would give up their driveway and truck staging area in the back.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=17

But you probably won't be able to face the stadium directly North. Maybe Northwest.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tamias, as witulski did, take a look at Oldsmobile Park's dimensions. I think it might fit. And Oakes could possibly be vacated, since Cherry and Fulton provide East/West connectivity. But I don't think the arena would give up their driveway and truck staging area in the back.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=17

But you probably won't be able to face the stadium directly North. Maybe Northwest.

This might be a wild idea, but why not depress the streets so you can build underground parking? The ball park could be at grade, but streets would run below allowing thru traffic. Then you can build underground parking entrances off the US131 route that runs between Cherry and Oakes.

post-3082-1224507996_thumb.png

And what of pedestrian traffic? Are we to expect people to walk all the way around these two places just to reach the other side? This is my biggest concern. If you were at DeVos place and wanted to go to the Calder sculpture, yet let's say the rather hidden stairway did NOT exist, would you do it?

I don't think we can expect people to walk along an underground road. The underground pathways along 131 and the underground streets in Chicago I think have shown people would rather avoid them.

I think everyone is trying to align the ballpark to ensure that the vista beyond the outfield walls showcases DT and our mid-rises. Much like Comerica in Detroit, etc. I think this idea is outstanding.

Anyone concerned with traffic downtown should try to get up to 5/3 ballpark for an early evening game on a weekday when you have to negotiate rush hour traffic headed home to Rockford and other points North. Plus, when that ballpark lets out after a game, it's not fun. Just think if everyone had alternatives to walk to for a drink, a bite to eat, etc. after the game. You wouldn't have a mass exodus trying to hit the road all at the same time. Plus, the parking issue is more a residual symptom of Grand Rapids' parochial small town mind-set. Sooner or later for this city to grow up people will realize that it's no big deal to take a bus, a cab, or a train to get to your destination, or even to simply park somewhere close and walk 5 or 6 blocks. Imagine the day when people actually grow up in Grand Rapids without ever owning a car or even learning how to drive. We're not that big yet, but wouldn't that be interesting.

My idea is just shift home plate toward the corner at Cherry and Ionia, and turn the stadium counter-clockwise about 30 - 45 degrees. That way, you might be able to see Plaza Towers and if anything gets built at Market and Fulton, as well as the old buildings along Market and Grandville.

I'm sorry but this still looks the most feasible location to me:

ballparky-1.png

- There's plenty of space for it to be built

- Not much needs to be demolished (a couple buildings I think)

- We're eliminating our downtown parking seascape, but still plenty of parking nearby to attend

- Would be beneficial to GVSU or any of the other local colleges who would like to use this ballfield for baseball, concert, or any other events

- Easier accessibility from the Pearl St ramp and doesn't create a traffic gridlock downtown - traffic could also be directed to Lane Ave to hop on 196 or through fulton to market instead of everyone going on the Pearl St ramp at the same time.

- Could spur nearby development; bars, restaurants, retail, etc

- Also enough room for an indoor station to be built attached to the structure and provide DASH shuttle service (or future BRT, Streetcar, etc.)

Again - I think Area 4/5 wouldn't be the best ideal position given the size needed for the field plus the buildings - it could become competitive with vaa if it holds summer concerts next to another arena (doesn't make sense to me really) - and the only way to fit one in there is to eliminate a road and as someone suggested - probably not a good idea.

I think Area 4/5 would be better situated for other developments.

blueradon, the only reason I would hesitate on that site is because you are eliminating a lot of necessary parking for the Y and for people who use the Dash lots to go to CC. Since there are no public garages on that side of town, it would be tough to find places to relocate those people. Of course if the Seward lot could handle the lost spaces than it would be a non-issue I suppose. I just think removing a major surface lot DT makes more sense because there is already an abundance of garages to park in.

I would like those surface lots to dissappear. If a garage was built in conjuntion with the project to replace the surface spots lost, I think it would get a better backing. A garage would actually help to revive Bridge Street by providing potential customers a place to park.

As mentioned you would also have to deal with west side NIMBY'ism. The traffic you mentioned would all be shifted through those mostly residential neighborhoods because anyone coming from the west is not going to get off at Pearl. They are going to get off at Lake Michigan or Lane. Now I don't know if there would a noticable difference in traffic but if I was an angry neighbor, I would definitely would claimt that there would be.

Yeah and that makes sense - but with all the parking lots that are available downtown - you'd figure some more parking garages would be in order - as much as people don't like to see those in every block - it'd be a lot better than seeing the asphalt version itself.

A friend of mine who lives downtown wondered why each parking garage downtown didn't have some type of indoor station attached to it and have that be served for dash lots as well with the other routes.

I think if more options for entrance and exit routes are available for such a development - because we all know how the traffic is on west river dr during games - traffic would be a lot more spread out than condensed into one single route...sure there's lake mi drive, but there's also bridge st, pearl, fulton, etc. And it's not like the NIMBY's have to deal with a daily traffic grind. As far as I'm concerned they can cry me a river - they shouldn't live in big towns and expect a peaceful and quiet environment :P

Yeah and that makes sense - but with all the parking lots that are available downtown - you'd figure some more parking garages would be in order - as much as people don't like to see those in every block - it'd be a lot better than seeing the asphalt version itself.

A friend of mine who lives downtown wondered why each parking garage downtown didn't have some type of indoor station attached to it and have that be served for dash lots as well with the other routes.

I'm sorry but this still looks the most feasible location to me:

ballparky-1.png

- There's plenty of space for it to be built

- Not much needs to be demolished (a couple buildings I think)

- We're eliminating our downtown parking seascape, but still plenty of parking nearby to attend

- Would be beneficial to GVSU or any of the other local colleges who would like to use this ballfield for baseball, concert, or any other events

- Easier accessibility from the Pearl St ramp and doesn't create a traffic gridlock downtown - traffic could also be directed to Lane Ave to hop on 196 or through fulton to market instead of everyone going on the Pearl St ramp at the same time.

- Could spur nearby development; bars, restaurants, retail, etc

- Also enough room for an indoor station to be built attached to the structure and provide DASH shuttle service (or future BRT, Streetcar, etc.)

Again - I think Area 4/5 wouldn't be the best ideal position given the size needed for the field plus the buildings - it could become competitive with vaa if it holds summer concerts next to another arena (doesn't make sense to me really) - and the only way to fit one in there is to eliminate a road and as someone suggested - probably not a good idea.

I think Area 4/5 would be better situated for other developments.

I decided to take another swing at doing a DT ballpark, this time for the surface lot at Fulton and Market. I also was able to solve parking concerns with a parking structure lined with bars restaurants and retail located across the street and connected to the ball park via a sky walk.

2960474538_1bf1bc445e_o.png

I used the Oldsmobile's playing field as a base to work from. The only change I made was to make the outfield round instead of angular for a more pleasing look. Olds's playing field is smaller than 5/3's which allows this model to be shoe horned onto the site. It's tight but I think it would work.

Knape mentions Autozone Park in Memphis. I've been to this park; it's gorgeous and so is the entertainment district surrounding it. I was there on a Friday and Saturday and it was absolutely the place to be in Memphis! It's true that the Redbirds are a AAA team, but there's no doubt in my mind that if done correctly a ballpark in DT GR would have a similar impact on the surrounding district.

Archived