Downtown ballpark proposed by Rockford Construction

GRobserver

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And what of pedestrian traffic? Are we to expect people to walk all the way around these two places just to reach the other side? This is my biggest concern. If you were at DeVos place and wanted to go to the Calder sculpture, yet let's say the rather hidden stairway did NOT exist, would you do it?

I don't think we can expect people to walk along an underground road. The underground pathways along 131 and the underground streets in Chicago I think have shown people would rather avoid them.

Wouldn't bringing in a minor league basketball team have the same effect on downtown business as moving the Whitecaps? We already have the arena, just need a team. I'd rather see the movie theater at lot 5. It would get year round use and bring a much more steady flow of customers to downtown.

i wish, i would love to go see a NBA Gr home team, sadly it would probably require a bigger arena. I've pondered before if a new arena would be worth it, if we got a NBA/NHL team, if the AFL keeps growing the Rampage will probably start selling out every game, and need more seats.

The Magic are building a beautiful new arena right now. expansion could happen though. Doesn't someone from Michigan own the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes, their lagging in attendance, so if things get bad enough they could move, hopefully to somewhere where lots of people play Hockey.

• 4 weeks later...

This downtown ballpark idea is gaining steam. Some interesting additional ideas talked about:

) Might include a couple of floors of mixed use on two sides

) A "promenade" that could be closed during game times to provide a festival atmosphere

) Multi-use, with the intention to have this replace the Millennium Park amphitheater project

More people have come on board to help get this going too.

This isn't a surprise. If I remember correctly, Wheeler offered to pay down any debt on the field. That should have been the first flag. I don't think people go around making those kinds of comments in front of their peers without some serious commitment. The "dream" I'm betting is a ball park on 4/5, but something tells me that a field will go in a more doable downtown location.

Archived