Downtown ballpark proposed by Rockford Construction

GRobserver

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't a surprise. If I remember correctly, Wheeler offered to pay down any debt on the field. That should have been the first flag. I don't think people go around making those kinds of comments in front of their peers without some serious commitment. The "dream" I'm betting is a ball park on 4/5, but something tells me that a field will go in a more doable downtown location.

Why don't they consider partnering with GRPS. They had 6 million dollars to spend on athletic facilites. It would be pretty nice if the schools could also use it. I know that 5 million or so was slated to be used to renovate houseman field but it seems like they could scale back their plans there and partner with the whitecaps to build a downtown stadium. if the whitecaps used the 1.5 million that they had earmarked for renovations at their current stadium with maybe 3 million from GRPS, it shouldn't be that hard to come up with the remainder to build this thing.

This is turning out to be a Happy Thanksgiving! I always thought the original stadium should have been built downtown but now is great too! More events such as minor league baseball, festivals or concerts is always a good thing for downtown. People will come for the game or event and either arrive early and spend money or stay late and spend money, either way it is what downtown needs to keep growing. :yahoo:

Those Area 4/5 lots are some of the most popular in the DASH system, so I'm guessing the City will want them replaced somehow (and at no premium to the city). The Area 4/5 developers were going to basically give the city about 295 spaces as part of their proposal.

And looking at some of the scaling in previous posts, they may even have to give up the other two city lots in that area to make a ballpark work there (the one East of 44 Grandville and the one right behind the arena), as well as vacate Oakes and that portion of the downtown exit ramp (not a big deal if you ask me). You could actually put an entrance to an underground ramp at the end of the exit ramp. And the service area behind the arena needs to stay open and accessible to large semis.

I don't think UG parking is that much more expensive than a new parking ramp. Might even be the same.

Here's how much area I think they would need: (btw, I don't see Bank of Holland vacating their new location at Oakes and Ionia).

3064191651_3637943e00_o.jpg

Those Area 4/5 lots are some of the most popular in the DASH system, so I'm guessing the City will want them replaced somehow (and at no premium to the city). The Area 4/5 developers were going to basically give the city about 295 spaces as part of their proposal.

And looking at some of the scaling in previous posts, they may even have to give up the other two city lots in that area to make a ballpark work there (the one East of 44 Grandville and the one right behind the arena), as well as vacate Oakes and that portion of the downtown exit ramp (not a big deal if you ask me). You could actually put an entrance to an underground ramp at the end of the exit ramp. And the service area behind the arena needs to stay open and accessible to large semis.

I don't think UG parking is that much more expensive than a new parking ramp. Might even be the same.

Here's how much area I think they would need: (btw, I don't see Bank of Holland vacating their new location at Oakes and Ionia).

3064191651_3637943e00_o.jpg

I agree that the parking issue would be absorbed and folks would adjust to the change. In my mind the tight fit could actually play out nicely. It may lead to a very unique ballpark and retail lining the boundary streets rather than being set back or separated by surface lots. Doing a quick aerial survey of DT, it's hard to find the sort of space a ballpark would require. I think this site would be a great fit though it would take some creative thinking. Forget about trying to throw a cookie cutter ballpark plan here.

A few or more buses take oaks to Ottawa to Fulton and beyond. A one level underground parking structure would only replace the surface lots (which are filled up most days). What about parking for the ball park? A game the same day as a major event at Van Andel Arena would cause parking and traffic havoc.

What about the noice for local residents? Would it need to be a dome park?

I think it would cause way too many problems at that location.

~John

A few or more buses take oaks to Ottawa to Fulton and beyond. A one level underground parking structure would only replace the surface lots (which are filled up most days). What about parking for the ball park? A game the same day as a major event at Van Andel Arena would cause parking and traffic havoc.

~John

Devos has said many times he would not move or disband the rampage, they haven't been very good, but if they continue this upcoming season how they ended last years they could challenge for the division, for the next few years a least. If the team is winning, more people are likely to go, no one wants to go and pay their hard-earned to see their team lose. The front office overhauled the roster and got a new coach before last season, leaving only 4 guys from the season before. now they're getting chemistry and seem to have a bright future, i'm a big fan of the AFL if you can't tell, especially my Hometown team.

back to baseball, if you have good transit, and people use it, parking isn't as big of a problem, and some people REALLY want to live by a ballpark, especially if it's Wrigley. I for one would love to. with that site it would be a creative stadium and could bring some positive attention to the city.

you know it's kind of sad how a city the size of GR only has a single A team, I like the whitecaps, but i wish they where a bit higher.

~John

Plus, with the new ramp on Commerce, the 38 Commerce ramp and the Fulton / Division ramp, this probably will absorb the dash spaces. Also, if you had a streetcar system that went from Monroe North all the way south of Fulton, there are plenty of parking spots throughout the city. It seems like the only need would be to displace the Dash parking used during the week and since people are used to parking a little further away when using DASH, it wouldn't seem to be a problem (just don't mess with any dilapidated building anywhere on the west side. THAT is taboo!). :)

Joe

Archived