Walgreens at 17th and Main

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would hate to try and satisfy these quapaw quarter people.

From an email list I follow

Thursday, September 25, 2008From: ___ [mailto:___@ quapaw.com]

All,

This may not be news to you by now, but the Walgreens application has been pulled (again) and won’t be considered by CZDC tonight. I spoke to Randy this morning and he said that the developers have decided to re-design the building and re-submit next month. According to Randy, they said they “didn’t realize the extent of the opposition in the neighborhood to the submitted plans”. (Well, duh!)

Of course, it remains to be seen what the new design will look like (and it will have to go back through design review, mansion advisory, etc.). But I think we can all agree that this is a positive development. And it wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t stuck to our guns and demanded better for our neighborhood.

All,

This may not be news to you by now, but the Walgreens application has been pulled (again) and won’t be considered by CZDC tonight. I spoke to Randy this morning and he said that the developers have decided to re-design the building and re-submit next month. According to Randy, they said they “didn’t realize the extent of the opposition in the neighborhood to the submitted plans”. (Well, duh!)

Of course, it remains to be seen what the new design will look like (and it will have to go back through design review, mansion advisory, etc.). But I think we can all agree that this is a positive development. And it wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t stuck to our guns and demanded better for our neighborhood.

Thursday, September 25, 2008From: Roger Williams [mailto:___@ quapaw.com]

All,

Aside from the issue with listing the person's name and email address (which I've omitted), why in the world do you read anything surprising or unexpected into this? Why would anyone not expect a developer to be sensitive to the neighborhood, especially one rooted in the 18th century? Furthermore, this (likely) falls into a local ordinance design guideline district. I applaud them for demanding that the development respect the heritage of the neighborhood.

Nothing a neighborhood association, preservation socieity or homeowner's association does is surprising or unexpected to me.

Walgreen's current standard new store is pretty good imho.

Most of the previous problems are detailed in these two articles and comments.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog..._walgreens.aspx

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog...ns_on_main.aspx

Archived