Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

senor square

Walgreens at 17th and Main

8 posts in this topic

I had heard a while back that Walgreens wanted to build a store at 17th and Main, and that there was some neighborhood opposition. Anyone know the status on this? Will the burger Box be spared from the wrecking ball?

I had heard a while back that Walgreens wanted to build a store at 17th and Main, and that there was some neighborhood opposition. Anyone know the status on this? Will the burger Box be spared from the wrecking ball?

I would hate to try and satisfy these quapaw quarter people.

From an email list I follow

Thursday, September 25, 2008From: ___ [mailto:___@ quapaw.com]

All,

This may not be news to you by now, but the Walgreens application has been pulled (again) and won’t be considered by CZDC tonight. I spoke to Randy this morning and he said that the developers have decided to re-design the building and re-submit next month. According to Randy, they said they “didn’t realize the extent of the opposition in the neighborhood to the submitted plans”. (Well, duh!)

Of course, it remains to be seen what the new design will look like (and it will have to go back through design review, mansion advisory, etc.). But I think we can all agree that this is a positive development. And it wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t stuck to our guns and demanded better for our neighborhood.

All,

This may not be news to you by now, but the Walgreens application has been pulled (again) and won’t be considered by CZDC tonight. I spoke to Randy this morning and he said that the developers have decided to re-design the building and re-submit next month. According to Randy, they said they “didn’t realize the extent of the opposition in the neighborhood to the submitted plans”. (Well, duh!)

Of course, it remains to be seen what the new design will look like (and it will have to go back through design review, mansion advisory, etc.). But I think we can all agree that this is a positive development. And it wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t stuck to our guns and demanded better for our neighborhood.

Thursday, September 25, 2008From: Roger Williams [mailto:___@ quapaw.com]

All,

Lastmall,

I'm curious---did you get permission to post this person's email address to the UP? That is a little much info. You're point is made without it.

Aside from the issue with listing the person's name and email address (which I've omitted), why in the world do you read anything surprising or unexpected into this? Why would anyone not expect a developer to be sensitive to the neighborhood, especially one rooted in the 18th century? Furthermore, this (likely) falls into a local ordinance design guideline district. I applaud them for demanding that the development respect the heritage of the neighborhood.

Nothing a neighborhood association, preservation socieity or homeowner's association does is surprising or unexpected to me.

Walgreen's current standard new store is pretty good imho.

Most of the previous problems are detailed in these two articles and comments.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog..._walgreens.aspx

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog...ns_on_main.aspx