Residential renovation project proposed for Lexington School

GRDadof3

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There they go again:

Shaffran and community members attended a meeting Thursday night at the Sibley School cafeteria. Some of whom were concerned that a large apartment building could be disruptive to the neighborhood.

Maybe they should ask around on Broadway and find out how "disruptive" Union Square has been.

A2 is two hours away from here. Maybe Washtenaw has run out of interesting convertable properties, and Kent is the next happy hunting ground for cool old buildings that need to be re-purposed.

Did someone mention the cell tower building??

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=448145

(former A2 resident)

There they go again:

Shaffran and community members attended a meeting Thursday night at the Sibley School cafeteria. Some of whom were concerned that a large apartment building could be disruptive to the neighborhood.

Maybe they should ask around on Broadway and find out how "disruptive" Union Square has been.

A2 is two hours away from here. Maybe Washtenaw has run out of interesting convertable properties, and Kent is the next happy hunting ground for cool old buildings that need to be re-purposed.

Did someone mention the cell tower building??

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=448145

(former A2 resident)

More information on this building. The total square footage is 30,372, sits on 1.60 acres, and the developer is offering $690,000. That's a pretty good deal. Leaves him enough room for off-street parking (which students parking on the street is a big complaint of people in that area), and it may even offer him room for possible expansion.

The school is less than a city block away from GVSU, West Fulton and the Lake Michigan Drive Rapid stop:

2952512994_85b2499117_o.jpg

It's also only two houses away from the new proposed retail/mixed-use development on West Fulton. Maybe it will help get that built. The proposed townhouses on Seward are also not far away, as well as an old firehouse that is for sale across the street.

2951662779_4339cebe33_o.jpg

2952497524_6cbb344728_b.jpg

2951649993_3164722a84_b.jpg

2951648127_b9e3172c53_b.jpg

How is it the local developers all missed this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GRPS is apparently going to hold off and see if a group of West side citizens can raise $690,000 by Jan. 15th to turn Lexington School into a community center. No mention as to how this group would keep the center operating after they buy it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

Not only could the school be turned into attractive condos, but it would appear that there is more than enough land to the north of the school to put in a row of nice townhomes. This property looks to have a LOT of potential...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is sold to the developers...

I find it quite ironic that the neighborhood group figures student housing would hurt the neighborhood, yet they are proposing a use which I find to be unsustainable at this point in time. Someone brought up the point earlier: where are they going to get funding to continue operations of this community center? I don't think the city would be willing to chip in, and I highly doubt the Near West Side has the kind of money it would take to maintain monthly operations of a venture like this. They're willing to spend money renovating a building on land which is vital to the neighborhood when it's inevitable that the community center isn't going to last?

I don't think they're going to raise $600,000 in the next two months anyway...

Archived