Residential renovation project proposed for Lexington School

GRDadof3

Based on what the news is saying, a "multi-denominational" community center is what is being proposed. That, in my understanding, is vastly different from a government-funded agency and not a tax dollar-draining endeavor. My assumption would be that the community center would be sustained by a church(s)-based donor group. If there is enough concern in the faith community for such an inner-city undertaking, I'm sure the funding will not be an issue - for the purchase of the property as well as the sustaining of it.

Some may argue that a community center would not be the best use for this property. What if the project could somehow include existent agencies or ministries that currently run in viable commercial property(s)? If several agencies around that area could somehow relocate to such a place and free up their current places of operation for profitable purposes, would a community center then be considered a good use for the Lexington School property?

Let's even talk in specifics: What if SWAN moved off of Fulton St.? What if the Other Way ministries did the same thing? We're talking a good amount of business frontage on a main business corridor available for redevelopment.

I don't even know if those are real considerations or not, I'm just throwing it out there.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on what the news is saying, a "multi-denominational" community center is what is being proposed. That, in my understanding, is vastly different from a government-funded agency and not a tax dollar-draining endeavor. My assumption would be that the community center would be sustained by a church(s)-based donor group. If there is enough concern in the faith community for such an inner-city undertaking, I'm sure the funding will not be an issue - for the purchase of the property as well as the sustaining of it.

Some may argue that a community center would not be the best use for this property. What if the project could somehow include existent agencies or ministries that currently run in viable commercial property(s)? If several agencies around that area could somehow relocate to such a place and free up their current places of operation for profitable purposes, would a community center then be considered a good use for the Lexington School property?

Let's even talk in specifics: What if SWAN moved off of Fulton St.? What if the Other Way ministries did the same thing? We're talking a good amount of business frontage on a main business corridor available for redevelopment.

I don't even know if those are real considerations or not, I'm just throwing it out there.

• 2 months later...

The neighborhood group missed their Jan. 15th deadline:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...isses_6900.html

Sounds like the developer is going to have another shot at it.

I'm interested to hear what SWAN is doing to attract families to the area, as they mention in the last section of the article.

• 2 months later...

What a difference 6-8 months makes! If GRPS wouldn't have caved to SWANs NIMBY tactics, this project might have got its funding and started construction by now, employing people (maybe even some west siders, eh?). Go SWAN! :mellow:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...thdraws_of.html

As Ted said, Development Karma is a beeatch.

Joe

Archived