Sims Metal Management Aerospace Inc. Moves from S End to N End

The Voice of Reason

The old ADVO space was just leased for 25 Years!

the signer was described as international by the owner of the building

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article_li...=HBJTODAY#A6894

<LI class=t_lightness_0>Ex-ADVO site leased in Hartford's North Meadows (posted Today at 11:26am)

A deal for a 25-year lease has been struck for the former Advo facility on West Service Road in the North Meadows neighborhood in Hartford.

Concord, Mass.-based Winstanley Enterprises owns the building and company principal Adam Winstanley confirmed today that a lease had been signed for 425,000 square feet. Winstanley declined to name the new tenant but described the deal as a "significant lease" and the tenant as an "international company."

The article has more about the property and the previous plans for an outlet center that was actually mentioned in a different thread today.

I will be VERY interested to find out who this is, and how many jobs it means. very interesting indeed! soulds like Hartford is really becoming a hot distribution center

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harford has a great location. That is what will really get our economy moving, once more people realize that there is a successful little market midway between Boston and NYC that has a high quality of life and is just waiting for investment. This is obviously absolutely terrific news and I can't wait to find out more details myself.

The old ADVO space was just leased for 25 Years!

the signer was described as international by the owner of the building

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article_li...=HBJTODAY#A6894

<LI class=t_lightness_0>Ex-ADVO site leased in Hartford's North Meadows (posted Today at 11:26am)

A deal for a 25-year lease has been struck for the former Advo facility on West Service Road in the North Meadows neighborhood in Hartford.

Concord, Mass.-based Winstanley Enterprises owns the building and company principal Adam Winstanley confirmed today that a lease had been signed for 425,000 square feet. Winstanley declined to name the new tenant but described the deal as a "significant lease" and the tenant as an "international company."

The article has more about the property and the previous plans for an outlet center that was actually mentioned in a different thread today.

I will be VERY interested to find out who this is, and how many jobs it means. very interesting indeed! soulds like Hartford is really becoming a hot distribution center

POOP!

I mean its good that there is retention, but a space like that could have brought jobs to the area.

I dont know the place these guys are leaving, but I doubt its as attractive as the advo site.

but as a high point another local firm is growing nicely

<LI class=t_lightness_0>Rocky Hill-based Axsys Technologies has opened a manufacturing facility in Nashua, N.H.

The company designs and manufactures surveillance and imaging systems for the defense industry and commercial customers.Since the beginning of 2007, Axsys has added more than 100 employees to its Nashua-based operations, bringing its total headcount to 330. The company said it is currently recruiting for 50 new positions. The employs nearly 1,000 people nationally. (AP)

no local job growth mentioned, but any manufacturing growth usually leads to back office growth.

• 1 month later...

OK, so this development which we were all kind of blah about is actually a really big deal. The area visible from I-84 where this business is relocating from will be reclaimed and cleaned up and all scrap at the new site will be kept indoors. This actually marks another huge step in revitalizing the Flatbush Ave. /formerly Charter Oak area of the city which borders the on-the-rise Elmwood section of W. Hartford.

Hartford Courant

Courant.com

Connecticut Property Line

Scrap Metal Yards At Western Edge Of City Moving North

By TERESA M. PELHAM

Special to The Courant

November 25, 2008

More than a few undesirable sites mar the view along Hartford's highways, especially near the city line. But one ugly area on the west side has a shot a becoming a little more welcoming.

Scrap metal yards on Flatbush Avenue that for decades have been a landmark to drivers heading west on I-84 are moving, and the city is focusing on the area for future commercial and retail development. But the state's economy, now headed for a deeper slide than initially expected, will have to mount a recovery first.

The area will certainly be ready for redevelopment.

Sims Metal Management Aerospace Inc., which traces its roots in Hartford to 1899 and the old family-run Suisman & Blumenthal metal recyclers, recently signed a 25-year lease to occupy the former ADVO building along I-91 in the city's North Meadows. A staggered relocation is planned through fall 2010.

The owner of the 36-acre property, longtime city arts patron Michael Suisman, has been in discussions with the city about future development.

Next door, another smaller scrap metal storage business is closing up shop, and its owner is expected to put the property up for sale.

In the next few weeks, the city will present a plan to redevelop the area that will be left vacant. The Parkville Municipal Development Plan, which has not been released to the public, includes a recommendation to extend Bartholomew Avenue south to Flatbush Avenue, underneath I-84, creating better access and opportunities for commercial and retail development. Four years ago, the Charter Oak Marketplace opened nearby.

"It's premature to say what, specifically, would be a part of that development," said Mark McGovern, the city's director of economic development. "Our focus right now is on public improvements that set the stage for private development. By building a road we increase the value of the land. We're not contemplating purchasing the land. We want to make it more attractive for future businesses."

That would be a good area for a Park Place Towers type development. Great access to the highway, add some much needed residents to the city, close enough to WH for some people to be interested. Also close to all the retail along Prospect, Flatbush, and New Park....

Archived