Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GR_Urbanist

Mikes(?) Hand Car Wash, on the Corner of Wealthy and Eastern, to become a Coffee Shop

26 posts in this topic

Just saw it today. Looks like the renovation process, well as much as the building could possibly have, is already in full swing.

That was one place I never thought would become a coffee shop. Heck I always assumed that the wrecking ball would have found it first.

Sorry, no pictures yet...

Kinda sad. Ron's always intrigued me. I guess the neighborhood's newest demographic group likes bikes and fair trade coffee more than a car wash. Best of luck.

I think the car wash is staying, the coffee shop is likely being added to supplement income in the frozen months.

Ron's Car Wash - probably the best wash in town. A friend of mine used to manage a race team for a local developer. He used bring the Ferrari's, Lambo's, and other cars worth north of 100K here to look better than new.

I didn't realize his renovations were to include a coffee shop, but he's been working on these renovations since late winter. Best of Luck Ron!!!

Ron is staying, just adding a quick coffee stop inside to the car wash menu.

Is it bad that every time I see this thread the first thing I think is "Mike's HARD car wash?"

Kinda sad. Ron's always intrigued me. I guess the neighborhood's newest demographic group likes bikes and fair trade coffee more than a car wash. Best of luck.

Way off base, like a lot of the posts on these threads (Stop, think, then type!)...

As someone who is totally ignorant about a hand car wash, how do you "do it"? Just drive up? Call ahead? Do you leave your car? Is the coffee shop for "while you wait" car washes?

Frankly I have never been a car guy, so the washes I've had tend to be the "put quarters in the eastown wash-your-own" or "$2 with a fillup at the eastown BP" both of which kinda stink.

This year, with our latest car purchase, I'm trying to take better care of my car. Waxed it myself, trying to keep it cleaner, etc.

So how does one shop at a place like Ron's (or Ron's specifically, seeing as people seem to like it).

As someone who is totally ignorant about a hand car wash, how do you "do it"? Just drive up? Call ahead? Do you leave your car? Is the coffee shop for "while you wait" car washes?

Frankly I have never been a car guy, so the washes I've had tend to be the "put quarters in the eastown wash-your-own" or "$2 with a fillup at the eastown BP" both of which kinda stink.

This year, with our latest car purchase, I'm trying to take better care of my car. Waxed it myself, trying to keep it cleaner, etc.

So how does one shop at a place like Ron's (or Ron's specifically, seeing as people seem to like it).

Ron's Car Wash - probably the best wash in town. A friend of mine used to manage a race team for a local developer. He used bring the Ferrari's, Lambo's, and other cars worth north of 100K here to look better than new.

Headed to the charette last night, I spent some time at this intersection waiting on the red light and looking at the subject property (er. the car wash building).

A coffee place will add a lot to the corner. The former bank(?)-now-church doesn't afford any ped traffic or vibrancy. (Looks nice, though.) The retailers PRCH mentions could benefit from more peds wandering around, or sitting outside, or grabbing a cuppa on their way to another stop.

Lamborghinis (and certain Ferraris) are/were hand sprayed at the factory. Their paint thicknesses can vary by quite a large margin with the thickest sections being the top of the vehicle and the lower rocker panel (typically). The sides of Lamborghinis can be very thin (much more a complaint with 80-90s examples). Certain Ferraris that were hand sprayed can have extremely thin layers of paint on them. This was done by Ferrari to lower the weight of the vehicle (paint adds pounds). The paint can be so thin the substrate is easily visible underneath (the F40 is notorious for this).

The point I am getting at is that I hope much care was taken to measure the thickness of the paint before slamming a buffer down on a scratch and hoping for the best. The cost of repainting a Lamborghini / Ferrari can skyrocket quickly. Even if there is no apparent damage to the paint, buffing on thin layers of clearcoat can undermine the clearcoat's responsibility of protecting the underlying substrate from UV rays and environmental fallout (brake dust, road debris, etc). And such neglect can, overtime, diminish the quality of the vehicle's paint.

Additionally, there are a myriad of other things that need to be addressed when dealing with fine exotic automobiles.

And any chance you still know this manager of Stone Swine (...a cryptic guess at the 'local racing team')?

I do still know said manager of _______. He's probably the biggest autophile I've ever met and probably well aware of all of this. He's currently working for Automobile Magazine, in Ann Arbor, as their road test coordinator.

Remember in the 1115 Taylor thread that Marvel Oil sign that was once on the wall of that building? For what it

Any chance they (or Car and Driver since I'm seeing him listed as current staff) need someone to prep the cars for photoshoots? :P:whistling: Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Remember in the 1115 Taylor thread that Marvel Oil sign that was once on the wall of that building? For what it

I think you're looking at the wrong dude.

My google is better than your google. :D

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, but you're right. He's not at C&D.

If you're serious about photography, I'd be happy to let him know; although, I have a feeling they probably have pretty seasoned personnel for this already.

Anybody else notice that after months of "coming soon" that the Ron's Hand Wash Coffee Shop is now open? I don't go by there everyday so maybe it's been open awhile, I don't know.

Anybody else notice that after months of "coming soon" that the Ron's Hand Wash Coffee Shop is now open? I don't go by there everyday so maybe it's been open awhile, I don't know.

It doesn't appear to be open on my way to work. Perhaps it's geared toward people getting their cars washed, not to people just looking for coffee..