Mikes(?) Hand Car Wash, on the Corner of Wealthy and Eastern, to become a Coffee Shop

GR_Urbanist

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ron's Car Wash - probably the best wash in town. A friend of mine used to manage a race team for a local developer. He used bring the Ferrari's, Lambo's, and other cars worth north of 100K here to look better than new.

I didn't realize his renovations were to include a coffee shop, but he's been working on these renovations since late winter. Best of Luck Ron!!!

As someone who is totally ignorant about a hand car wash, how do you "do it"? Just drive up? Call ahead? Do you leave your car? Is the coffee shop for "while you wait" car washes?

Frankly I have never been a car guy, so the washes I've had tend to be the "put quarters in the eastown wash-your-own" or "$2 with a fillup at the eastown BP" both of which kinda stink.

This year, with our latest car purchase, I'm trying to take better care of my car. Waxed it myself, trying to keep it cleaner, etc.

So how does one shop at a place like Ron's (or Ron's specifically, seeing as people seem to like it).

As someone who is totally ignorant about a hand car wash, how do you "do it"? Just drive up? Call ahead? Do you leave your car? Is the coffee shop for "while you wait" car washes?

Frankly I have never been a car guy, so the washes I've had tend to be the "put quarters in the eastown wash-your-own" or "$2 with a fillup at the eastown BP" both of which kinda stink.

This year, with our latest car purchase, I'm trying to take better care of my car. Waxed it myself, trying to keep it cleaner, etc.

So how does one shop at a place like Ron's (or Ron's specifically, seeing as people seem to like it).

Headed to the charette last night, I spent some time at this intersection waiting on the red light and looking at the subject property (er. the car wash building).

A coffee place will add a lot to the corner. The former bank(?)-now-church doesn't afford any ped traffic or vibrancy. (Looks nice, though.) The retailers PRCH mentions could benefit from more peds wandering around, or sitting outside, or grabbing a cuppa on their way to another stop.

Lamborghinis (and certain Ferraris) are/were hand sprayed at the factory. Their paint thicknesses can vary by quite a large margin with the thickest sections being the top of the vehicle and the lower rocker panel (typically). The sides of Lamborghinis can be very thin (much more a complaint with 80-90s examples). Certain Ferraris that were hand sprayed can have extremely thin layers of paint on them. This was done by Ferrari to lower the weight of the vehicle (paint adds pounds). The paint can be so thin the substrate is easily visible underneath (the F40 is notorious for this).

The point I am getting at is that I hope much care was taken to measure the thickness of the paint before slamming a buffer down on a scratch and hoping for the best. The cost of repainting a Lamborghini / Ferrari can skyrocket quickly. Even if there is no apparent damage to the paint, buffing on thin layers of clearcoat can undermine the clearcoat's responsibility of protecting the underlying substrate from UV rays and environmental fallout (brake dust, road debris, etc). And such neglect can, overtime, diminish the quality of the vehicle's paint.

Additionally, there are a myriad of other things that need to be addressed when dealing with fine exotic automobiles.

And any chance you still know this manager of Stone Swine (...a cryptic guess at the 'local racing team')?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived