Rouzan TND

Zackman

Yes indeed Rouzan desreved it's own thread :thumbsup: Many post have been made here in the past! Remember something last week that the library branch plans were approved; thats good news for this project moving forward!

Here's the concept map; I like the broken street grid; also like how some the grid from Southdowns will continue to connect across Glasgow Ave. Hopefully the Village Center won't be a glorified strip-shopping center; w/ the library don't think it will?? Hopefully Buckett's Professor from LSU wasn't speaking of this?? Wonder what Coldwater Creek will look like??

conceptmapes4.jpg

Townhouse Block

1townhouseblockad2.jpg

Library Square

2librarysquarehx1.jpg

Park Boulevard concept

3parkboulevardkt5.jpg

Neighborhood Crescent

4neighborhoodcrescentrp3.jpg

There was one more rendering did not post; similar to above;

Edited by richyb83

The Metro Council approved the donation of land for the new Library at last nights meeting. :yahoo:

I think most people will be very happy with the details of phase 1 and hopefully the developer will be releasing detailed drawings and rendering to the public in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

The new library is some great news!!! It should be a nice anchor for the village center!

Expanded Rouzan plans set for hearing

Jeff Wright, a spokesman for Sinposa's development company, JTS Interests, said the Planning & Zoning Commission will consider at its Nov. 17 meeting a request to increase Rouzan's commercial space by 100,000 square feet on a 1-acre tract that Spinosa bought in August adjacent to the neighborhood entrance on Perkins.

I wish I knew why our newspaper is so anti-Rouzan. :dontknow: I know they have to sell papers, but the spin they put on this development only hurts Baton Rouge and angers some already misinformed residents in the area.

The fact is that 80,000 sq ft was for a "boutique" hotel, which was to be located adjacent the new lake/pond. The other 20,000 sq ft was for commercial (office/shops) on the one acre just bought.

It looks like JTS has pulled the proposal altogether from the planning department.

I don't mind something like Camellia drive in Lafayette going here....but a Perkins Rowe or worse, something like Siegen marketplace, just doesn't belong there.

The preliminaries look good, but who knows if it will be quality construction?

The developer said that no "big box" stores would be there. So it won't be anything like Siegen Marketplace. It will have more of a village feel; Maybe 30,000sq.ft'? the largest allowed. The library would probably be about the biggest space?? Or the civic componet? School, Church, etc. Lee Drive should be 4-laned like Stanford Ave is.

And also... a change since the Oct. 31st article

Developer backs off expansion proposal

With the variance, Spinosa planned to increase Rouzan’s commercial space to 200,000 square feet, doubling the amount approved by the Planning Commission in September. However, Wright confirmed Friday that Spinosa withdrew the variance request this week and won’t pursue an expansion of Rouzan’s commercial component, at least for now.

Wright acknowledged the move likely would have rekindled Rouzan opposition among nearby residents. But Spinosa’s decision to withdraw the request, Wright said, was based more on the need to finish projects already under way.

Wright said Spinosa wants to finalize plans for a public library branch at Rouzan and start construction on the neighborhood.

In addition, Wright said Spinosa wants to complete Perkins Rowe, the mixed-use development at Perkins and Bluebonnet Boulevard.

“We’re going to focus on the library, on the streets, on the town center,” he said of Rouzan. “Then we’re going to come back and say, ‘How do we really want to use this extra piece of land?’”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/34134149.html

Edited by richyb83

I don't mind something like Camellia drive in Lafayette going here....but a Perkins Rowe or worse, something like Siegen marketplace, just doesn't belong there.

The preliminaries look good, but who knows if it will be quality construction?

Like Richyb stated, it will be much more of a village feel then Perkins Rowe, which is very urban. Most of the land will be used for single family townhomes around the village center and single family detached homes outside the town center. When you say Camellia drive in Lafayette, I'm assuming you are referring to River Ranch, which should be similar to Rouzan (both are TNDs). Rouzan is scheduled to have a Library, Church and school, none of which is found in River Ranch. Also, I would not expect any mega mansions like there are in River Ranch.

I think the best example for what Rouzan will be is Harbor Town in Memphis. Here is additional information Harbor Town. This is very similar in size, density, and commercial as Rouzan. Also, Looney, Ricks, and Kiss actually finished Harbor Town and are part of the design team for Rouzan.

Edited by Zackman

Like Richyb stated, it will be much more of a village feel then Perkins Rowe, which is very urban. Most of the land will be used for single family townhomes around the village center and single family detached homes outside the town center. When you say Camellia drive in Lafayette, I'm assuming you are referring to River Ranch, which should be similar to Rouzan (both are TNDs). Rouzan is scheduled to have a Library, Church and school, none of which is found in River Ranch. Also, I would not expect any mega mansions like there are in River Ranch.

I think the best example for what Rouzan will be is Harbor Town in Memphis. Here is additional information Harbor Town. This is very similar in size, density, and commercial as Rouzan. Also, Looney, Ricks, and Kiss actually finished Harbor Town and are part of the design team for Rouzan.

If it looks like Harbor town, then there won't be many complaints from myself or most of Southdowns. It's more of an extension of Southdowns if it turns out like that.

Actually, a relative of mine lives in one of the quieter parts of River Ranch and it's very nice. I'm not fond of the size of her yard and the crazy neighborhood rules and HOA fees, but overall, this is the way to do it if you want to maintain quality in the city without gates and security running around.

And what's this I'm reading about some kind of fancy bridge in this development? I didn't even know there was a creek running through it.

Edited by cajun

:shades: I mentioned Coldwater Creek above on Post#2; and many times in the New Urbanism thread. Coldwater Creek is easier to see if you "click" on the site plan(Post#2); it runs along the right side; it will separate the library/village center and the mixed-residential/civic componet. It's a narrow blue-sliver along the row of green tree circles.

Can't wait to see what the bridge/creek landscaping will look like!! As of now it's a ditch along lower land you could probably jump across. The developer did a nice job with the pedestrian bridge over Ward's Creek at CitiPlace.

Southdowns will have some of the finest new developments surrounding it. The Crescent at University Lake; Acadian Village, Idle Oaks; Perkins Lane and Rouzan. The developer even agreed to make some sidewalks along Glasgow Ave. Something Southdowns needs alot more of.

When all is said and done, people in the area will be impressed with Rouzan.

Edited by richyb83

The creek is scheduled to be enlarged into a pond/lake (actually closer in size to a pond). This is for water retention, to mitigate the flooding problems in the surrounding neighborhoods during heavy rains. We, along with some other supporters or Rouzan, go to see the developer on occasion. They are very happy to meet with neighbors that are willing to listen and work with them. I think Rouzan will only enhance the charm and character of the surrounding neighborhoods.

The bridge Cajun references is a 19th century arch bridge found in Europe. Something like...

267px-NagasakiMeganebashi.jpg

• 4 months later...

Yes indeed Zackman; Rouzan should really enhance Southdowns & Pollard Estates!

Here's a new rendering of the Rouzan Village Center branch; more info later this week??

031509rouzanlibrary.jpg

Also...

In addition to the proposed design and maintenance fees, JTS also has provided the Library Board with a proposed land-use agreement that will ban adult book stores, massage parlors and head shops from the Rouzan development.

In addition, video arcades would be banned within 200 feet of the library, and bars would be prohibited within 300 feet.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/41269982.html

• 4 months later...

This is still supposed to be moving forward....hopefully the legal battles from Perkins Rowe will not effect this?? Need to see an updated site plan; looks like some changes by the impressive rendering with the lake fronting the village center!

Rouzan development faces EBR deadline

Me too! :thumbsup: These associations whining & complaining is getting old!

Proposed Rouzan library still moving ahead

East Baton Rouge Parish Library officials plan to hold a special meeting in the next few weeks to discuss the status of the proposed Rouzan library branch. David Farrar, executive director of the library, says the board is closely watching the financial troubles of JTS, which plans to develop Rouzan, a mixed-use development on Perkins Road. "We will conduct an investigation on the viability of continuing with the Rouzan branch," he says.

Last week, KeyBank filed to foreclose on Perkins Rowe, a JTS project, charging that it hasn't made a mortgage payment since October. Tommy Spinosa of JTS says that different lenders are set to finance Rouzan and the developments are not related. In the meantime, design and development of the Rouzan branch is continuing. Plans are to start building the Rouzan branch in January, in time for a May 2011 opening.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/rea...-weekly/latest/

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Developer holding an impressive rendering of the dense Rouzan village center.....I'm not giving up on this project...still hope it happens!!

Library talks Rouzan; Official says development funding sound

Dan Reed, president of the East Baton Rouge Parish Library Board, said Thursday that he talked to two bank lenders who developer Tommy Spinosa told him were financing his development and that they indicated the financial backing is there for Spinosa

• 2 weeks later...

Great location for library branch; many more residents will be able to walk to Rouzan from surrounding neighborhoods; as opposed to the proposed Burbank branch...

Library, apartments in Rouzan proposal

Developer Tommy Spinosa has submitted plans to the city-parish that include a previously proposed public library branch and also a 25-unit apartment building that marks a future phase of his Rouzan development.

Rouzan is the controversial project Spinosa has proposed on the south side of Perkins Road near College Drive, in the Southdowns area.

The plans, submitted separately to the East Baton Rouge Parish Planning and Zoning Commission, call for the library building to have 13,300 square feet of civic space and 1,900 square feet of commercial space.

Plans indicate work will begin in the first quarter of next year and finish in 2011.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/62779347.html

Edited by richyb83

Interesting time table for construction. Might be too soon for me to jump on one of the residential units....but on the other hand, I'd like to see something being built in Baton Rouge during this recession.

It sounded like the original plans were respectful to the neighborhood character and density of southdowns.....let's just hope the "value engineered" plans retain the quality that we are looking for and that they don't resort to the old "parking lot-tree island-big box" formula if the financing falls through.

I can't wait for more details on this.

Edited by cajun

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

Ground clearing began this week on the old Ford Property. Seems all the permits, etc. are in place to begin construstion of the Library once the final proposal gets approved by the planning commission. Then the act of donation will be signed by the Mayor. Then the final design will have to be approved by the Library Board.

Phase 1B (Library) goes before the Planning Commission this Monday for final approval. A few of the Southside CIvic Association Board Members just can't let this happen and willl put up a fight at Monday's meeting. They are leaving no stone unturned to stop this development. So look for some complaint about t's not being crossed and i's not being dotted to try and stall construction.

Meanwhile, some of them are still trying to get the new library built on Burbank (swamp land) instead of in Rouzan. They claim to represent the neighborhood, what a shame, but I guess they get to have their say.

Edited by Zackman

Thanks for the update! A Burbank library site would be a mistake!

Here is more on Rouzan in today's Advocate...

Panel says Rouzan filings OK

The East Baton Rouge Parish Planning and Zoning Commission’s board said Monday the legal problems of developer Tommy Spinosa are not the board’s concern and, with some debate, decided the developer could meet filing requirements for the controversial Rouzan project one building at a time.

The board voted 5-3 with one abstention to grant final site plan approval for the proposed public library building at Rouzan and a three-story, 25 unit apartment building there at Glasgow Avenue and Perkins Road.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/69631372.html

• 6 months later...

Southdowns ASSociation should be happy nothing taller than 3-stories...when they could have easily gone 4 or 5-stories in the village center. This project will crawl with the times...looks like a 6 or 7 year project done in phases.

Rouzan work set to begin

Crews could begin installing the infrastructure for the library site and first 26 homes in the next 90 days at the Rouzan development on Perkins Road east of Lee Drive. The lots for the first residential phase — known as the Mimosa District — went on sale Wednesday. With the library poised to start construction on the 118-acre property later this year, crews will begin turning dirt to put in roads, plumbing and other infrastructure for both portions

The long-term plan calls for more residential development, retail tenants, a nondenominational church, townhomes, a market, a lagoon and a village center consisting of a parking structure surrounded by retail spaces and topped with 139 apartments.

rouzanmap052210.jpg