Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nashvillwill

why conserve water?

5 posts in this topic

If there is no financial accountability would anyone conserve water?

Here is the situation. About 2 years ago my apartment complex started a program for new tenants in which water would be added to rent for a flat-rate of $20 a month. The last time i renewed my lease i was added to this program. Now, it's nice for my pocket book since my water bill averaged around $35 a month, saving my $15 monthly. But i conserve as much water as possible. Yes, i have a clothes washer and dish washer, but i use things as conservatively as i can. Where i live, conservation is not trendy, and a practice of the few. So i imagine my water bill was less than most.

Now, everyone in my complex(1000's) can run as much water, as often as desired, and only pay $20 per month regardless. So this makes me wonder, what is the incentive to call maintainance when you have a dripping faucet or a running toilet? It doesn't seem there is one. Why turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth? Why not run that load of dishes half full?

I don't understand how this program could be a benefit to anyone(i.e., my landlord or the water company), so how does such a program get started. Should flat-rate even be legal in modern times?

One of my favorite parts of "going green" is to see the financial benefits i reap from conserving. Now, all the joy has been taken out of it for me. I do get the personal satisfaction that i am doing something good for the environment, but that is washed away by the fact that i know many of my neighbors far offset any good i do, by wasting.

So that brings me back to the question....why would anyone conserve?

Thoughts?

I personally think all water systems should charge on usage, with tiers based on consumption. This would reward conservation minded customers and also help to alert customers when there usage increases due to leaks, etc.

The system in your apartment complex is not very conservation minded, IMO.

It's a shame, the South as a whole is very water wasteful even though the majority of the region is in a drought.

My city charges based on how much you use (in tiers). The more you use the more you pay per gallon. I live in a water conservation district and by having these pricing tiers it has cut down on how much water is used overall. Flat fees or low prices are only going to encourage water use. If gas was $0.50/gallon would anyone bother purchasing a smaller, more fuel efficient car?

I think I heard in a news story regarding the drought in California that Fresno doesn't charge residents for water usage!? I could have misheard, but I think that's what was stated. I personally don't pay for water, but we're very conservative anyway. Grew up with previous droughts here in Cali. I'm sure many of you remember the old slogan, "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down...." ^_^

Some people will be naturally conservative, others will not care unless they are charged for it.

Columbus, GA charges in tiers, but the rate goes down the more water you use. I think a system where a there's a rate charge up to what a family with 2.2 people should reasonably use - or whatever the local family size is - and then higher rates there after. If a person or family wants to be wasteful, they should pay for it. If a person wants to water his daylilies or whatever he should pay for it.