Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lmichigan

Lansing BWL starts work on solar array

9 posts in this topic

Every little bit helps, and I'm glad to see them using land that is pretty hard to utilize for much else. From the street, this particular location resembles a hill, but it's really earth covering a bunch of treatment tanks for the Dye Treatment facility on the other side of the street. It's currently used as a kind of park with benches and lighting, but no one is ever up there:

BWL starts work on solar array

The Lansing Board of Water and Light broke ground today on the installation of a 432-panel solar power array near Oldsmobile Park.

The solar array on Cedar Street, which will cost less than $600,000 will generate 54 kilowatts, enough to power approximately 50 homes. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

**continue story at link**

Apparently, reading the BWL's own press release, this is the largest solar cell array in Michigan, which really isn't saying a lot. lol!

http://www.lbwl.com/nr08oct22.asp

BTW, the proper name of the facility is the Cedar Street Solar Array, and it sits atop the 10-milllion gallon reservoir I was talking about.

Well, now, I don't know that it is ENTIRELY unused! I live in the stadium district - several of the neighbors take their dogs there to use the bathroom. I guess the BWL project is a better use of public space. I'm VERY excited to see this get off the ground - I can see it from my balcony. I'll post updated photos as they become relevant...

-j

The BWL is now bringing on line its landfill gas power facility. So, far the BWL has the solar array, the generating unit at the Moores Park Dam, and now the landfill producing reneweable energy:

Oh, this is a small scale operation. We definitely don't need to be importing more trash, but it's a step in the right direction to at use reuse the waste of our own waste products.

I love these terms "solar array." I was asked by my boss one time to make a drawing of a "solar garden." I was like, what on earth is that? Well, solar units arranged around landscaping.

I've always heard "solar array" used as the default descriptions of a grouping of solar units, much in the same way a grouping of wind turbines/generators is referred to as a "windfarm" or "wind park".