Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luca Brasi

Interesting find...

22 posts in this topic

I was in the Richardson Building today walking down the corridor past the Residence Inn all the way down to the right where the hair salons are and stumbled upon something very interesting. Someone had pulled a model of downtown out of storage from the 1980's and stuck it in the corner. It was the proposal for 1000 Main... one of the many skyscrapers that was never built. The model is about 4ft by 4ft and sits on a pedestal about waist high... very similar to the model you see at the visitor's center window on Pratt (except this one is covered in dust). Every building is white except for the model of 1000 Main which is extremely detailed and in color. It would have been a beautiful building that would have been built on the parking lot across Talcott from the G Fox Building. The funny thing is that Layfayette Plaza (I think thats what it was going to be called) is in the model as well... a collection of high rises along Trumbull on the north side of 84 where all the parking lots are now. This project obviously was never built either.

If anyone is around the Richardson, you should check it out before its gone.

I was in the Richardson Building today walking down the corridor past the Residence Inn all the way down to the right where the hair salons are and stumbled upon something very interesting. Someone had pulled a model of downtown out of storage from the 1980's and stuck it in the corner. It was the proposal for 1000 Main... one of the many skyscrapers that was never built. The model is about 4ft by 4ft and sits on a pedestal about waist high... very similar to the model you see at the visitor's center window on Pratt (except this one is covered in dust). Every building is white except for the model of 1000 Main which is extremely detailed and in color. It would have been a beautiful building that would have been built on the parking lot across Talcott from the G Fox Building. The funny thing is that Layfayette Plaza (I think thats what it was going to be called) is in the model as well... a collection of high rises along Trumbull on the north side of 84 where all the parking lots are now. This project obviously was never built either.

If anyone is around the Richardson, you should check it out before its gone.

Yes... thats it. Someone pulled it out of storage from somewhere and its filthy and a little banged up but cool to see nonetheless. Check it out if you can!

Yes... thats it. Someone pulled it out of storage from somewhere and its filthy and a little banged up but cool to see nonetheless. Check it out if you can!

Can anyone find any other info on this project? I could not using google searches etc, but was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Here are my pics of the Diaroma.

some(most) are horrible, but I am posting them all because its not an easy picture to get. the case is filthy.

Hartford11008.jpg

Hartford11001.jpg

Hartford11002.jpg

Hartford11003.jpg

Hartford11004.jpg

Hartford11005.jpg

Hartford11006.jpg

Hartford11007.jpg

Hartford11009.jpg

Hartford11010.jpg

Hartford11011.jpg

Hartford11012.jpg

Hartford11013.jpg

Hartford11014.jpg

Hartford11015.jpg

Hartford11016.jpg

Hartford11017.jpg

Hartford11018.jpg

I'm not sure what that tower is, but I sure wish it got built. Hartford was planning on becoming quite the city in the 80's. It's still amazing to see. Just look at the density spanning I84! It's beautiful. That's the thing about Downtown Hartford though, it's still just a few projects away from being there. Hartford has been on the cusp for a very long time. I still hope that we can get that divide filled in, even if 84 remains where it is.

It's better than the parking lot that currently sits there, but not nearly as beautiful and functional as the stunning church and other buildings that solidly stood there and were torn down for I-84, and the parking lot.

The planned park over I-84 looks great.

Why did they scrap the park and put a concrete bunker on top of the highway. Another stupid choice.

The planned park over I-84 looks great.

Why did they scrap the park and put a concrete bunker on top of the highway. Another stupid choice.

Shows the enormous hole that Trumbull on the Park filled, but what about those two buildings along Lewis St.? Were they both demolished for the parking garage or was one partially saved? Live Search's aerial photos are only confusing me more.

Those two buildings were demolished in the early 90's making the parking lot that Trumbull on the Park and its garage eventually filled even bigger than shown here.

Too bad Lewis Street wasn't saved. That street could have been the hallmark of Hartford's New England culture. Sadly the new parking garage just makes it look even worse.

I went by this model last week. Ironic how it shows the buildings Society for Savings/Bank of America/Robert A. Firger(it usually takes one massive ego at the top to do something so horrible) tore down on Asylum and Main, yet has the new never-buildings there too. Obviously shows the lack of realistic thinking by those egos of that era).

Also, the fact that so much dust covers this model is another poignant statement. This is a model of the thinking that practically killed this city. No good has come from any skyscaper in this city and never will.

I believe that building was proposed by Pan Pacific in the late 80s. The Architect was Russell Gibson Von Dohlen and we provided some budgets for the project. That was around the same timeframe as the proposed Cutter Building that never made it off of the drawing board

Too bad Lewis Street wasn't saved. That street could have been the hallmark of Hartford's New England culture. Sadly the new parking garage just makes it look even worse.

I believe that building was proposed by Pan Pacific in the late 80s. The Architect was Russell Gibson Von Dohlen and we provided some budgets for the project. That was around the same timeframe as the proposed Cutter Building that never made it off of the drawing board

When I was providing budgets, there was discussion about 2 possible sites... That model was removed from the former Mysic space in the Richardson which wass recently fit out for a new tenant.

So was this a hotel with a mall under it? pan pacific does hotels mostly now.

its a pretty good looking building IMO.