Worst Road You've Ever Traveled

bigboyz05

It could be the condition of the road, traffic or the design. For me it would have to be the loop around Paris, Tx. Not only is the road horrible but parts are freeway and other sections are like a street. So one minute you're going 75 on the freeway and the next you have to come to an abrupt stop at a stop sign or traffic light. I don't understand why it was never built entirely as a freeway.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of the state routes in rural Ohio, especially SR 93, 39, & 3 in Holmes County, b/c while the roads are in good shape, you can get behind some slow poke Amish Horse and Buggies.

The innerbelt through DT Cleveland (I-77 where it merges into I-71, and also meets I-90) is a pretty poor design if you ask me, especially w/ it being right next to the Gateway Complex (Jacobs Field & Quicken Loans Arena).

Interstate 5 in California is not a great road. It doesn't strike you as being that bad, but after an hour, the rhythmic bumpiness is a strange mix of discomfort and putting you to sleep. US 69 through Oklahoma is similarly crappy, and New Mexico's Interstate 40 is no winner either. But the worst I have been on might be the county-maintained road here where I live.

I-85 between US52 in Salisbury NC and Lexington NC is 11 miles of raw, stark terror. Those horse-and-buggy-grade bridges over the Yadkin River are fear at its' purest.

I agree with the freeways in PA as well. I think they've fixed I-78 since I last drove up there; I recall there being no shoulders (inner or outer) on about 40 miles of interstate.

I don't know if NCDOT takes weather into consideration in their road maintainence formulas - the western part of NC is chock full of roads that fall apart 1 hard winter after they get resurfaced (it runs 10-15 degrees colder there than anywhere else in the state, and the winter weather can run from Nov to April). US 321 between Boone and Blowing Rock was milled and the roadbed was reconstructed in the late 90s; I remember the road literally disintegrating for years before - every time spring that would hit, more of the road would fall apart. I saw cars lose tires at high speed on multiple occasions.

The old A1 highway in Jamaica, between Spanish Town and Linstead. A narrow, winding mountain pass that runs along a the Rio Cobra river. Big trucks travel the road as well, and the bigger vehicle has the right of way. Many people have died when their vehicle has plundged into the river or fallen off Flatbridge; the one lane bridge with no guardrails that crosses the Rio Cobra. I first traveled this road in the mid '90's before many improvements were made.

The story of the Flatbridge

img_0294.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I could give a few, but I will keep it with roads others might have driven on.

Greece

on Santorini Island

there are two I will note.

One is the drive from Thira and Oia. The road is crappy, narrow(one lane narrow), on top of cliffs, and you are invariably in a crappy little car. This is bad enough, but there are BUSSES driving 70MPH on this road forcing you over to the enges of the cloffs and into complete stops. a true white knuckler.

Another good one is the road to the top of Ancient Thera. Its the steepest single lane road ever. It was not built for cars, but for mules. just a crazy road. I was in first gear and had to floor the car to keep it moving at points. and of course its not wide enough for 2 vehicles, so that exciting when you have to pull to the edge of the cliff to let a car past.

neither road has guard rails.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived