New Fayetteville High School plans

zman9810

One of the selling points that the district might emphasize more is that the millage increase being asked for will expire with the bonds. Some people are basing their opposition to the increase on the idea that once the millage is increased that it will never go down.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early voting has started for the Sept. 21 millage election. With most of the debate surrounding the last election over and the first phase of the high school construction underway this millage increase has a much better chance at passing. Phase two will be built- it is just a question of when and how much will it cost- doing it now will save the public a lot of money in the long run.

Yea! Fayetteville's millage passed easily.

Springdale's didn't.

I saw that. I'm sure some people will be upset by it, but I'm very glad for Fayetteville's students that they'll be able to complete the new high school in one overall go instead of having a hodgepodge of new and dated facilities until they could manage to come up with the money (and of course costs would rise) to complete it later on.

Yes very good to see. While some will complain about it, I really do think this is the best move. I think the school was going to somehow move on with the second phase at some point anyway. Doing it now let's us take advantage of some no interest loans. Saving $29 Mil of interest over the life of the loan.

• 5 months later...

Here is an update on the high school project. They are well on the way although I'm not sure what the concrete structure in the foreground is. That area is supposed to be parking so it must be part of the drainage system that was talked about so much. There are earlier pics on page 5 of before dirt work started.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Here is an update on the high school project. They are well on the way although I'm not sure what the concrete structure in the foreground is. That area is supposed to be parking so it must be part of the drainage system that was talked about so much. There are earlier pics on page 5 of before dirt work started.

The concrete structures are for drainage and some underground water storage I believe. They are a large group of culverts.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest photo of the site. There are earlier pics further back in the topic for those who are new to the forum. This is the performing arts theater going up. This is going to be a very impressive structure when finished- can't wait to see the end result!

DSC_0244.jpg

Here is the latest photo of the site. There are earlier pics further back in the topic for those who are new to the forum. This is the performing arts theater going up. This is going to be a very impressive structure when finished- can't wait to see the end result!

Thanks for the pic. Yeah it's always exciting to see something going up. :D

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There has been a lot of progress since I last posted pics. If I had been a week or so earlier the second pic would have included a glimpse of the seating structure within the sports arena shown- construction has closed that view off. The last games have been played in the old gym and that area of the school has been slated for destruction. The first phase of construction is still on schedule to finish this year with the second phase starting this year. DSC_0258-Copy.jpgDSC_0260.jpg

• 4 months later...

NWAonline has a good story about and fantastic interior photos of the new facilities at the high school. The interiors are first class and big time. Here are some fast facts that FHS has published.

• The performing arts, student commons, administrative offices and sports arenas contain 178,924 square feet.

• The student commons seats 600 students, twice as many as the old cafeteria.

• The auditorium seats 850, nearly three times as many as the old auditorium.

• The stone used on the lower sections of the exterior of the new buildings is from a quarry near Mena. The stone color is known as “Smokey Mountain blue” because of subtle changes in color that occur during the day.

• More than 113 miles of electrical wiring has been installed. Additionally, almost 23 miles of data cable has been installed.

• There are 18 retractable basketball backboards and goals in the new athletics buildings.

• There are 75 toilets, 20 urinals and 84 sinks in the two new buildings.

• Some 970 tons of construction waste, or 1.94 million pounds, has been diverted from landfills through recycling of concrete, metal and wood debris. That amounts to about 87 percent of the construction debris.

Source: Fayetteville School District

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2012/aug/05/campus-upgraded/?news-arkansas-nwa-fayetteville

• 6 months later...

Archived